CSN ruined by overrated Young?

Big Generator

Reaction score
Re: CSN ruined by overrated Canadian?

Reverend Rock said:
OK, let's say mid-70s then...what I meant is that "Wind On The Water" and "Whistling Down The Wire" are a little better in my opinion than "CSN".

And I never did consider these guys to be "American Beatles". I didn't consider the Byrds to be that either...but the Beatles did.

Sorry Reverend - I was being pedantic.

Yes - I like the Crosby and Nash albums too - even the one that came out last year. But without Stills these two can get a bit soppy and self-indulgent - especially in the freestyle 'songs without words' improvisation thing they love doing. For me "CSN" is superior - maybe because Stills is my favourite of the three.

Big Generator

Reaction score

Drummer Chris said:
For some reason, Young is tied in with the band for either good, mediocre, or plain bad results....
I get the feeling from the 80's on especially, it is either a band or management desicion to give more of a spotlight to the boys so they can sell more records and concert tickets.
They've tried it on their own, and they've tried it with Neil and I have a feeling at times with Neil, the business has been plainly better.
Somehow, this scrappy, skinny scarecrow with the ragged wail guitar and voice adds something desirable to the "smoother 3"..
Go figure?

You're right - the addition of Neil Young was a marketing ploy rather than an 'artistic' decision or a meaningful collaboration - and Ahmet Ertegun came up with this idea the moment the first album CSN album took off. CSN agreed to it because they thought the Stills-Young 'guitar duel' would help their live sound at gigs such as Woodstock. Neil Young's motive? Well, his solo career wasn't really going anywhere - his recent album had lacklustre sales - and he wanted to exploit the success of CSN to get ahead. "I do like the money and it's going to make me alot of money," he said. Then he insisted on equal billing...and then his ego got out of control...and the chemistry of the band was ruined...and we didn't see another CSN album until eight years later - by which time it could be argued that CSN's time had passed.

It's a tragic tale....the greed of Young, Ertegun and Geffen/Roberts....combined with the insecurity of CSN. And before anyone says 'all musicians are greedy and love money'....well, Young was often described in the Laurel Canyon scene as a 'breadhead' and ruthless 'user' of people...in stark contrast to the idealism (however misguided) of the times.

Young was ahead of his time in one respect - he had an '80's' mentality even back in the 60s - and the CSNY story is the perfect example of this. Young rinsed CSN dry during their peak - and has traded off his association with the band ever since....and he's given CSN nothing in return...except perhaps some increased concert revenue....but even that is debatable because CSN concerts are always packed out.

Neil Young's career is full of stories like this one....it's all take, take, take. He is rock's most legendary succubi.

And the most frustrating aspect of this whole saga is why CSN didn't ever stand up to this guy and tell him to back right off.

Last edited:

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

Martha Washington said:
Well, I don't think they were "the American Beatles" until Neil joined.
Sure, there were four guys but Dallas Taylor was looking out the window on the back. Neil joined, four guys, American Beatles.

and this is the thanks he gets? ;)
LOL Considering you've got a Canadian and a Brit in there, calling them the American anything is kind of a stretch. ;)

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

I'm sure Ahmet has also been one of the main ones pushing for a Led Zeppelin Reunion since Live Aid....for him and Atlantic, it must have been a bitter pill to swallow that Zeppelin had completely ceased recording new albums.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

Big Generator said:
Sorry Reverend - I was being pedantic.

Yes - I like the Crosby and Nash albums too - even the one that came out last year. But without Stills these two can get a bit soppy and self-indulgent - especially in the freestyle 'songs without words' improvisation thing they love doing. For me "CSN" is superior - maybe because Stills is my favourite of the three.

I should also say that I consider CSN to be a very good album. And yes, Stills shines awfully bright on his contributions to that record.

Aginghipster

Reaction score

Young is a King of Rock and Roll. He did'nt ruin anything! I prefer CSNY over just CSN anyday!

Big Generator

Reaction score

Aginghipster said:
Young is a King of Rock and Roll. He did'nt ruin anything! I prefer CSNY over just CSN anyday!

What's the difference between CSN and CSNY? Young only contributed two lousy songs...and his mummy's boy voice was lost in the mix on the others!

Last edited:

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

Big Generator said:
What's the difference between CSN and CSNY? Young only contributed two lousy songs...and his mummy's boy voice was lost in the mix on the others!

...if his voice was ever in the mix to begin with! I've listened countless times, and just can't find it anywhere in the songs he didn't write on Deja Vu!

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

Music Wench said:
Well, for those of you who agree with this thread, here's some bad news. For those of you who are like me, here's some good news. ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060425/music_nm/csny_dc_1

Can't wait to hear Neil's latest.
I think there will be some response soon, from Big Generator.. :D
I don't mind ole Neil that much myself but it'll be interesting if he can play the whole tour with them, usually he gets bored :eek:hyeah:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.