CSN ruined by overrated Young?

runtfan

Reaction score
Re: CSN ruined by overrated Canadian?

I think Neil's biggest contribution to C,S, N was bringing some "Neil Young/ not-nesessarily-C,S,N" fans aboard the C,S,N,Y bandwagon.
Let's be real here - Neil contributed two songs to Deja Vu - "Helpless" and "Country Girl". Other than that, he was a friend and a colleague to C,S,N and not much else. He helped them sell alot of albums and concert tickets because of his name and fan base, and other than that some sloppy guitar licks on "4-Way Street".
I think Neil is a good songwriter. I'm not as enamored of him as alot of people, but he's done some good stuff (which doesn't include his guitar solos - somebody PLEASE take away his Les Paul !).

A couple other points. Someone mentioned Graham Nash being such a nice guy. I think that's true. Nash was the glue that held the whole thing together, for the times it WAS together. Neil Young, IMO, never really showed that much interest in the whole C,S,N, & Y thing anyway and Crosby and Stills had huge egos, which made the chance of C,S,N ever becoming a cohesive, productive unit almost nil.
C,S,N & Y all did boatloads of work in the 70's - some of it really good, some just OK or worse - just not that much of it was as a unit.

These guys were all singer-songwriters and there was never gonna be enough room in one group for these guys to ever give themselves over to any exclusive arrangement. They were all working, writing, singing, and playing - in various combinations, and either for themselves or other people - all through the 70's.
We should just be happy for the great songs (including Neil's two) and great harmonies.

BTW, I'm not even counting C,S,N, & Y's crappy "American Dream" album from '86 or whatever. It's hardly worth mentioning. The best song on it was Crosby's "Compass". Other than that it was weak, filler material.

Big Generator

Reaction score

runtfan said:
We should just be happy for the great songs (including Neil's two) and great harmonies.

BTW, I'm not even counting C,S,N, & Y's crappy "American Dream" album from '86 or whatever. It's hardly worth mentioning. The best song on it was Crosby's "Compass". Other than that it was weak, filler material.

Oh sure...I'm totally grateful for the great songs and the harmonies...

But "American Dream" is an example of my original point. CSN recovered from Young's disruptive, flakey antics in 1977. Young had just walked off the Stills-Young tour - so Stills joined Crosby and Nash for the second CSN album....which turned out to be another classic.

CSN recorded a third album in 1982 "Daylight Again"...not nearly as good but a lot of great songs nonetheless..."Southern Cross", "Delta" "Wasted on the Way", etc....

Then what happens? Young is invited back....and we get the disaster that was "American Dream". A great band ruined for the SECOND time.

And guess what? Young leaves again...and CSN embark on probably their best ever tour in 1991 with the Acoustic Show....

I could go on...but needless to say the 1999 CSNY album is barely worth mentioning as well.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score

Well, I don't think they were "the American Beatles" until Neil joined.
Sure, there were four guys but Dallas Taylor was looking out the window on the back. Neil joined, four guys, American Beatles.

and this is the thanks he gets? ;)

Big Generator

Reaction score

Reverend Rock said:
Crosby and Nash in the late 70s did better work than CSN did in the same period, I think.

But Reverend...there wasn't a Crosby and Nash record in the late 70s.

Big Generator

Reaction score

Martha Washington said:
Also, Crosby and Nash's albums for ABC did pretty darned well, didn't they?

I agree...to generate huge album sales Crosby and Nash needed Stephen Stills ...but Crosby, Stills and Nash didn't need Neil Young.

Big Generator

Reaction score

Martha Washington said:
Well, I don't think they were "the American Beatles" until Neil joined.
Sure, there were four guys but Dallas Taylor was looking out the window on the back. Neil joined, four guys, American Beatles.

and this is the thanks he gets? ;)

Yes - but before Young joined they were called "America's First Supergroup"...

Last edited:

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

For some reason, Young is tied in with the band for either good, mediocre, or plain bad results....
I get the feeling from the 80's on especially, it is either a band or management desicion to give more of a spotlight to the boys so they can sell more records and concert tickets.
They've tried it on their own, and they've tried it with Neil and I have a feeling at times with Neil, the business has been plainly better.
Somehow, this scrappy, skinny scarecrow with the ragged wail guitar and voice adds something desirable to the "smoother 3"..
Go figure?

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

Big Generator said:
But Reverend...there wasn't a Crosby and Nash record in the late 70s.

OK, let's say mid-70s then...what I meant is that "Wind On The Water" and "Whistling Down The Wire" are a little better in my opinion than "CSN".

And I never did consider these guys to be "American Beatles". I didn't consider the Byrds to be that either...but the Beatles did.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online