CSN ruined by overrated Young?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Re: CSN ruined by overrated Canadian?

Good question indeed, Spike. I'd say probably CSN would have had better success together instead of alone. Mostly because alone, I wasn't really impressed by any of them as I was when they were together. None of them could touch Neil Young.

algernon

Reaction score

I agree with Wenchie. I think Stephen Stills might have made a little splash with a few records and had a few hits, but Crosby or Nash would NEVER have broken through solo...not in a meaningful way.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

Well, I pretty much agree with this consensus. At their best, CSN (and sometimes Y) brought out the best in each other and edited out the worst. Left to their own devices, Crosby, Stills, or Nash put out albums with loads of filler and a few worthy tunes (Stills has two very solid exceptions to that rule--his self-titled debut album, and the amazing Manassas double set). Crosby and Nash working together did somewhat better.

Young is different. He's more like a Dylan. Sure, he has his dud albums and half-baked songs, but even they are interesting for their sheer eccentricity and audacity. He's never less than bewilderingly fascinating, whatever he tries his hand at. At least, that's my veiw of him as an artist.

Big Generator

Reaction score

Spike said:
I guess I don't buy the basic premise that CSN was "contaminated" by Young. IMHO, the first CSN and Deja Vu are both timeless classics. But I don't see any logical reason to blame Young for the fact that CSN were never able to recreate the magic of their first album without him.

Let me suggest something different. After the success of the two albums referenced above, all four of them released solo albums. IIRC, Stills's first two solo outings were good, but not huge commercially. Crosby and Nash released albums -- both solo and together -- that were craftsmanlike and boring. IMHO, it was Young who enjoyed the greatest success both artistically and commercially as a solo artist in the first half of the 70s.

So here's my question for the group:

In hindsight, would Crosby, Stills and Nash have enjoyed greater success in the 1970-1975 period if they had focused all of their creative energies on group activities rather than each trying to make it as a solo artist?

Spike

Yes, I reckon they would. The 1977 album was amazing - and without Young around to stamp on their buzz we would surely have seen a great CSN album in 1972 or 1974.

I agree that Young's solo work is superior to the solo albums from CSN. But as a trio they are unbeatable.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score

Reverend Rock said:
(Stills has two very solid exceptions to that rule--his self-titled debut album, and the amazing Manassas double set).

Agreed on both. But does Manassas qualify as a solo album?

Spike

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

Spike said:
Agreed on both. But does Manassas qualify as a solo album?

Spike

Well...people pretty much qualify the Wings catalog as more-or-less synonymous with Sir Paul's solo career, and Manassas ended up as one of many back-up bands Stills employed over the course of his career. They functioned a little more as a true ensemble than a back-up band, but Stills was still pretty much driving the eighteen-wheeler, so-to-speak, writing or co-writing most (if not all) the tunes, and the last song on the project was just him and his guitar...so I say it's part of his solo work.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score

Reverend Rock said:
Well...people pretty much qualify the Wings catalog as more-or-less synonymous with Sir Paul's solo career, and Manassas ended up as one of many back-up bands Stills employed over the course of his career. They functioned a little more as a true ensemble than a back-up band, but Stills was still pretty much driving the eighteen-wheeler, so-to-speak, writing or co-writing most (if not all) the tunes, and the last song on the project was just him and his guitar...so I say it's part of his solo work.

In retrospect, I guess you're right. But because Chris Hillman was part of it, at the time I viewed it as more of a collaborative effort than Stills with a backup band. I haven't heard it in many, many years and it might be time to give it a listen with fresh ears.

Spike

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score

Big Generator said:
...The 1977 album was amazing...

I've been thinking about this since you posted this comment. I remember being very disappointed when I bought this album. It paled in comparison to their first. But maybe I was too quick in judging. This is another one that deserves another listen. I'm sure I've still got the vinyl around here somewhere...

Spike

Big Generator

Reaction score

No, it's not as good as the first one...but "Dark Star", "In My Dreams", etc are great tracks. It's a mellow late 70s kind of record and not a magical hippie classic - but it was the last time CSN recorded a first rate album, I reckon.

J

jivi85

I think Neil Young contributed greatly to CSNY, two of my favorite songs are from when he was a member, "Helpless" and the acoustic version of "cowgirl in the Sand" from the live album Four-way Street, Also "Don't Let it Bring you Down" is a Classic

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online