Christian Rock

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah Michael Sweet is an excellent songwriter

Here he is singing for a frind of a friend's wedding..lucky Bride & Groom.

Watch the Bride & Groom's faces at around 2:06

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I Adore STRYPER !!:bow:They have made some outstanding albums. I prefer the heavier songs to the ballads..though they are always so beautifully done.
Religion in music doesnt really bother me wether its throwing bibles into the crowd like Stryper used to do or trying to raise beelzebub by some obscure scandanavian black metal band with a unpronouncable name :wtf: Such is the beauty of music....STRYPER rock!! and Oz Fox is one of my favourite guitarists:bow::)

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
Not trying to resurrect an old thread...hardy har har...but I used to thump the ol' bible myself when I was younger, and my collection of Christian rock music was without equal in the tri-county area. So I've decided to chime in...

No, Switchfoot is an alternative rock / post-grunge band. But I really like Switchfoot :nana:

Switchfoot has long ago watered down their message to the point where it's barely noticeable, if at all. But they started out as a Christian act, and their first record was on the Tooth and Nail label, known for it's line-up of Christian alternative and punk bands. It wasn't until about the 3rd album that they decided to shoot for mainstream success, ditching the more overt Christian aspects of their lyrics. They've succeeded.

That 77's album Mr. Shadow posted is an example of some of the best "Christian rock" albums to be had. I haven't heard "Ping Pong Over the Abyss" in at least 25 years, but I can't forget a line in one of their songs: "Kundalini gives me a headache/Edgar Mitchell is stretching his brainwaves/Buddha and Muhammad are still lying from their graves". Awesome lyric, even if I don't agree with it anymore. "Ping Pong" was their first effort, but I prefer the second album, "All Fall Down". This is definitely a case of a band you can dig even if you don't share their faith. They're still around and have made several records since then.

The best Christian band, bar none and IMO, is DANIEL AMOS. They started out as an Eagles knock-off but when their third album, "Horrendous Disc" was released, it became obvious that they were going in completely different, almost new wave, direction. Their 4th, 5th and 6th albums formed a trilogy that incorporated the thoughts and ideas of figures as diverse as William Blake and Fyodor Dostoevesky, among others. "!Alarma!", "Doppelganger" & "Vox Humana" are, IMO, the high point of Christian alternative rock. Actually maybe it wasn't a trilogy, as I think the 7th album, "Fearful Symmetry", was an extension. They're still performing, as far as I know, though the last CD they released came out early in the last decade. "Mr. Buechner's Dream" is an absolutely great album. I'd recommend it to ANYONE, regardless of faith or lack thereof.

Resurrection Band were a favorite. I think classic rock fans would get into them, but their Christian message is way up front and center, and they're evangelizing detracts, IMHO, from the music. "Mommy Don't Love Daddy Anymore" and "Colours" are the best place to start.

Guitar afficiandos will love Phil Keaggy. He came from a "secular" band called Glass Harp, who recorded their first album at Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland studios. Legend has it that when asked who was the best guitarist in the world was, Hendrix replied, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Phil Keaggy."

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

^^Groovey! Very country-fied :)

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
When I found out that Black Francis's first big influence was a Christian Rock artist named Larry Norman, that was the moment that The Pixies stopped being one of my favorite bands. :D

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
That's not fair.

Larry Norman was responsible for putting Daniel Amos on the map. Randy Stonehill's first records, very good ones, were produced by Larry Norman, who was a close friend. I wasn't too crazy about some of his music, but he did have a few quite excellent offerings..."U.F.O." from his "In Another Land" album is an example of some of the better songs to come out of the "Jesus People" movement in the late sixties, early seventies. He was a little heavy on the evangelism, but by the same token he was extremely critical of how insulated the Christian music community became. I saw him perform in 1984. He was one of the most charismatic performers I've ever seen, with nothing but an acoustic guitar in the first set and an old stand-up piano for the second. He was, by all intents and purposes, the godfather of Christian rock. When he died last year it was a real shocker.

I'll assume your comment was made in a joking manner, so I won't go into a scree about how fans shouldn't care enough about a band's influences to abandon them because of them. Suffice to say that the Pixies sound very little like Larry Norman's music.

Last edited:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
When I found out about it, I looked into Larry Norman and if the Pixies are going to have Christian-music origins then surely he's the guy to go to. He's the only christian-music artist that I've ever heard of having anything resembling a personality, plus he's the father of it all. But still, I can't stand his music.

Pixies are still among my favorite artists, and for a little while I thought they might hit near the top. My finding out about Larry happened to coincide with the period where my Pixies love went downhill (mostly due to the clean production on their records post-Rosa). But yeah finding out about him seriously did damage my opinion of Black Francis. When I got into the Pixies they were such a huge breath of fresh air for me because I was thinking "Gee, finally here's an indie rock band that has some serious balls. They sound like drug-using misanthropists." So finding out about Larry Norman was a blow to what I thought the music meant. Plus when I was that age I was listening to Neil Young, Dylan, Floyd, Doors. Influences are extremely important to me. I believe the influences are how a band builds a context for their music -- as typical genres/scenes are too bland and uniform to fill that roll. :)

BUT I didn't come into the thread to attack christian music. I just wanted to share a humorous anecdote. Christianity has massive potential for influencing great works of music, I just think most Christian artists squander that potential with too much of an orthodox image. They portray themselves like wind-up dolls... like a mouthpiece for the most generic sermon you'd ever hear. Instead, I think they should portray themselves as living, breathing people, who espouse a powerful Christian ideology. 'Course I'm sure it's subjective and a lot of people would say they already do that, but I've never heard it...

In the arena of metal, lyrics don't count for as much, and there have been some truly great Christian-themed artists. I'm particularly fond of Horde, the father of Christian Black Metal.

Shazbot, I also should have mentioned this woman I know from back in my folk days. She's a Christian folk artist and she's quite the musician. Consistently gets voted in the top tier of Pittsburgh live artists. I can't pick out all the Bible stories in her songs but maybe y'all can. Some say she sounds like the girl from Evanescence, so she rewrote their song "Tourniquet" and turned it into a story about Jesus's ressurection!

Here's the album I have, you can hear a clip of "Born Again" (Tourniquet), it also has her version of Pink Floyd's On The Turning Away.

Last edited:

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
BUT I didn't come into the thread to attack christian music. I just wanted to share a humorous anecdote. Christianity has massive potential for influencing great works of music, I just think most Christian artists squander that potential with too much of an orthodox image. They portray themselves like wind-up dolls... like a mouthpiece for the most generic sermon you'd ever hear. Instead, I think they should portray themselves as living, breathing people, who espouse a powerful Christian ideology. 'Course I'm sure it's subjective and a lot of people would say they already do that, but I've never heard it...

I do agree with you 100%. Truth be told, I never listen to Christian music, per se. If I like a band that just happens to be Christian oriented (like Daniel Amos) it's got nothing to do with their faith.

These days the big deal in Christian music is Praise & Worship music. I hate that. Why must people grovel so?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online