Christian Rock

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
Magic posted a video for DA's "Shotgun Angel"...As for me, I came into DA an album or two ahead of that one and by then they had morphed into something completely different. So here are a couple of the songs from the period that got me into them. BTW, they deal in sarcasm a lot, so keep that in mind...

That last one is like a mini-concept album, with a story and all. Really really good.

Harkat

Reaction score
Just an update on this thread:

I was having a discussion about genre labels, and learned that christian rock is called "white metal or white rock"....learn something new everyday!!

I would much rather listen to white metal vs. black metal :D

I didnt know that o.o
I have a white metal band up my sleeve in that case

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have to agree on Rick Wakeman :tup: A master at the keyboards!

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Home

Welcome to the Landon Spradlin website. Landon has been entertaining and inspiring people for four decades. With his deep spiritual roots and authentic blues style rooted in the early masters of blues and rock n' roll, Landon has evolved into what one fellow called "strong medicine". As a preacher of the gospel, healing for the soul is a recurring theme in Landon's singing and playing. When you add Landon's "chainsaw-winding" voice with some of the finest players around, you have a devastating combination of soul, power and Spirit. See the Landon Spradlin Band at a live performance to experience the blues for yourself.

Last edited:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
I'm a Christian and I enjoy Neal Morse, Rick Wakeman, Phil Keaggy and Graham Kendrick, plus album art by Rodney Matthews.:)

Phil Keaggy is excellent. He was in an up and coming prog rock band in the early 70s called Glass Harp, I have a thread around here somewhere about them, and left to pursue music in the Christian arena. He's done very well for himself and is well thought of in music circles, Christian and secular. Great guitar work.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Relient K is also a very good Christian rock band that has had some success crossing over. From Canton, OH, they have a devoted following around these parts.:grinthumb

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
And there is a hard-rock Christian band. Liaison!:grinthumb Wicked Ways is one of my favorite songs of all-time!

MintRainbow

Reaction score
Resurrection Band were a favorite. I think classic rock fans would get into them,but their Christian message is way up front and center, and they're evangelizing detracts, IMHO, from the music. "Mommy Don't Love Daddy Anymore" and "Colours" are the best place to start.

I disagree with this quite a bit, and here's why: Resurrection Band (or "Rez Band") do not typically quote bible verses or speak "Christianese", if that makes sense. Their songs are not shallow or trite. Many of their songs are about social problems in the inner city and around the world, and basically stories from real life. A lot of songs about soul-searching as well. Their most overtly religious songs are usually the kind of "praise God" songs of the sort that blues musicians like Blind Willie Johnson or Skip James might have sung 80 years ago (Glen Keiser is hugely influenced by old school blues musicians -- his solo blues cds and the stuff he does with the Glen Kaiser Band is all very awesome as well). Their Christianity is front and center, but they are artists and poets and sstorytellers as well. Their songs come across as very down-to-earth and real, and not dumbed down or preachy in the way a lot of Christian rock is.

This is a band that penned an anti-Apartheid song as early as 1979 (Afrikaans, from Rainbow's End). That was years before most Americans knew what Apartheid was. I remember listening to that song in high school, and I knew it was about racism and descrimination. but I didn't know enough to make the connection to South Africa.

They did another anti-Apartheid song in 1985 -- Zuid Afrikan, from Between Heaven and Hell. And that was still at a point where a lot of Americans were not fully aware of Apartheid.

For me, their very best CDs are some of their later ones, because when Roy Montroy became their bassist he added a heavy end to their sound that was absolutely missing before, and that took them back to their roots -- to very heavy dirty blues rock. They had kind of lost their way a bit in the early 80's, but starting with Silence Screams in 1988, they began releasing some of the most blistering blues rock of their career (and also some of their very best straight-out blues music, this side of Glen's solo stuff). Innocent Blood from 1989 and Civil Rites from 1991 are two of their very best releases. Their last studio release of new material was Lament in 1995, produced by King's X's Ty Tabor, and it's very good as well, a little less bluesy and less catchy than the cds that preceded it though.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online