Christian Rock

Reaction score
That's why I think things have gotten better. It used to be bands seemed to want to play something just to get a message out there and it was less about the music. Now it seems like legit musicians play mostly for the music but it's not taboo to have mainstream success and have a spiritual element in your music.

The only thing is that a lot of times with some of the "better sounding" "christian" bands I sometimes question whether they are really into the religion thing or its just kind of how they can label themselves and write... I'm not really religious myself, I just don't really think about it at all, but there are certain bands that just seem to be in it for being in a band, I love it when they have the thank you sections on the back of records and some drugged out, drunk, womanizing rock star thanks jesus, I always find it a bit ironic lol, not my place to judge, but ironic to me
this kid I work with is one of those supposed "jesus freaks" he was telling me how to be a good christian one minute, the next he called some kid a faggot... so.. ya know, friggin kid always tries to tell me how great he is at guitar and how great his band is.. ugh.. little brat

and by the way soot.... I thought I'd be the onlyone on here at 4 am lol, I';m surprised how jumpin this place is this late (or early depending on why your up)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
The only thing is that a lot of times with some of the "better sounding" "christian" bands I sometimes question whether they are really into the religion thing or its just kind of how they can label themselves and write... this kid I work with is one of those supposed "jesus freaks" he was telling me how to be a good christian one minute, the next he called some kid a faggot... so.. ya know, friggin kid always tries to tell me how great he is at guitar and how great his band is.. ugh.. little brat

That's a good point Eberg and one only the artist will ever know. I find the end justifies the means because what do you really have more than the song/listener connection in any music? I'll never know whether Billy Corgan truly believes all the emotions he puts into his music but he pulls it off masterly so I connect with it regardless. I don't even go to church or read the bible. I personally think it's a great thing that we have music know that might reach young people and tell them in some way that here is something out there bigger than themselves and that life can be handled with the concepts of faith and hope. I also think it's great that morals, morals being ones that religious or non religious people can even agree on for the most part, can be put into music in a way that keeps the energy that rock music is upposed to have. :grinthumb

Reaction score
That's a good point Eberg and one only the artist will ever know. I find the end justifies the means because what do you really have more than the song/listener connection in any music? I'll never know whether Billy Corgan truly believes all the emotions he puts into his music but he pulls it off masterly so I connect with it regardless. I don't even go to church or read the bible. I personally think it's a great thing that we have music know that might reach young people and tell them in some way that here is something out there bigger than themselves and that life can be handled with the concepts of faith and hope. I also think it's great that morals, morals being ones that religious or non religious people can even agree on for the most part, can be put into music in a way that keeps the energy that rock music is upposed to have. :grinthumb

true, but its like finding a band from canada singing country about the warm summer nights and mesquitos, and you know its not real country, the music is alright, but the heart for country music isn't there
I don't know maybe I'm just a skeptic and think everyone with a record deal is sleezy :heheh: lol

so yeah I guess youre right about the music being about what the listener takes rather than what the artist intends

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
true, but its like finding a band from canada singing country about the warm summer nights and mesquitos, and you know its not real country, the music is alright, but the heart for country music isn't there
I don't know maybe I'm just a skeptic and think everyone with a record deal is sleezy :heheh: lol

so yeah I guess youre right about the music being about what the listener takes rather than what the artist intends

I like your Country example! :lmao: It's impossible to know motives but I think of it in another way. If I wanted a painting of something, and let's say of Jesus for the sake of the conversation, I'm personally going to want a painter from any walk of life/beliefs as long as I know that they are the best at what they do and there work is so breathtaking it draws emotion. That's what makes them artist is to draw life out of any topic regardless of personal convictions. They can temporarily put themselves in a place where they find a connection and bring it to life. The viewer will then make their own attachment based on that. On the other hand maybe I selfishly like being in the dark because the truth jades so much of the art itself.

Reaction score
I like your Country example! :lmao: It's impossible to know motives but I think of it in another way. If I wanted a painting of something, and let's say of Jesus for the sake of the conversation, I'm personally going to want a painter from any walk of life/beliefs as long as I know that they are the best at what they do and there work is so breathtaking it draws emotion. That's what makes them artist is to draw life out of any topic regardless of personal convictions. They can temporarily put themselves in a place where they find a connection and bring it to life. The viewer will then make their own attachment based on that. On the other hand maybe I selfishly like being in the dark because the truth jades so much of the art itself.

:grinthumb

This is a big part of it too, for a lot of stuff I like to find out everything behind it, the "truth" more than half the time winds up bumming me out:heheh:

your art example made me think of Mallrats with the dude looking for the sailboat in the painting :lmao::lmao:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
:grinthumb

This is a big part of it too, for a lot of stuff I like to find out everything behind it, the "truth" more than half the time winds up bumming me out:heheh:

your art example made me think of Mallrats with the dude looking for the sailboat in the painting :lmao::lmao:

I love everything Kevin Smith! :grinthumb The truth behind the people is as obscure without knowing them as finding concrete evidence behind Jesus himself. Maybe marilyn Manson is really a hypocritical Christian using a gimmick that is the complete opposite of that because it makes him a lot of money. Sounds ludicrous but we'll never know! :lmao: It seems to be a lot of work digging under rocks when the art is right there at the click of a button.

Reaction score
I love everything Kevin Smith! :grinthumb The truth behind the people is as obscure without knowing them as finding concrete evidence behind Jesus himself. Maybe marilyn Manson is really a hypocritical Christian using a gimmick that is the complete opposite of that because it makes him a lot of money. Sounds ludicrous but we'll never know! :lmao: It seems to be a lot of work digging under rocks when the art is right there at the click of a button.

lol, I know, I love watching Clerks, then Clerks II right after, if you cut out the credits of the first, then cut out the opening credits/title of the second and make it a continuous movie it is so awesome :)
lol, god, Mailyn Manson, I remember everyone totally freaking out over his rib removal :heybaby: a long time ago, didn't hot topic's sales shoot straight up after that....
true again lol, curiosity did kill the cat as they say, so maybe it is better to just not know, usually I forget what i'm curious about before I go to research it so I'm safe and wow, been up since noon yesterday, have done around 13 hours of school work in the past 15.... isn't this fun, and still have a damn good amount to do...:wa::wa::banghead::bonk:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Where's STRYPER???

Has anyone heard their new stuff???

51qsWu5RgoL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

2009 COOL Documentary

New Ballad

Cool Rockin' Opening Track

Reaction score
Stryper...

I asked if anyone knew them earlier in the thread lol, I don't know anything about them really, christian hair metal, or whatever they want to call themselves, I couldn't think of there name

Stryker, Streeker, Stripper, I was close =)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For those of you who like Piano rock/Alternative rock, you might like The Fray. Their sound is very similar to OneRepublic, Lifehouse, and Snow Patrol.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online