America (Official Thread)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Re: Official America thread

Groovy, do you like the albums Hideaway and Harbor(last one with Peek)?
Don't have those albums yet. But I plan on picking them up,eventually. :D

Here's some footage of America, after Dan Peek left the group...

Live In Central Park 1979

Sandman

A Horse With No Name & Sister Golden Hair

Reaction score

eh.. :heheh:

The harmonies were still great, but the lead vocals were definitely lacking... they definitely just sounded like they were missing a piece,... which I suppose they were:D

Fever

Reaction score

America is coming to Raleigh with Ambrosia.I doubt I will go though.There are just too many concerts to go to and so little money.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That sounds like a good concert Fever, we get the heavyweights but miss out on many smaller tours like you seem to get.:(

I agree with EB, they weren't the same after Peek left the band, I only have two America albums one of which is the greatest hits, it was one of the first CD's I bought when they came out.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I was a huge America fan back in the day (as you youngsters like to say), and I paid for it, putting up with a lot of static from some friends who had little respect for them. In hindsight, I think their best material is in the first three albums, at least if you're after the more "rock" end of their pop-rock spectrum. I admired all the latter-day George Martin-produced material, but didn't think most of it had much staying power. There were a few gems of songs scattered here and there at that time but IMO they were few and far between. I think they were a little too impressed with Martin from his history with the Beatles. I remember they even made a big deal about having used the "Penny Lane" firebell in one of their songs. Even as early as Hat Trick, though, their material was becoming somewhat uneven. Even so, it and its two predecessors are the albums I still have after all these years. And they could rock with the best of them on some of those album tracks.

kaientai

Reaction score

It may not be cool, but i have a spot for the last hit (i think it was their last hit) "You Can Do Magic". Not the coolest song, but hey we all have a few songs that don't fit our library right?

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score

eh.. :heheh:

The harmonies were still great, but the lead vocals were definitely lacking... they definitely just sounded like they were missing a piece,... which I suppose they were:D
I agree, it really did sound as though there was something missing. Guess that guy really made a significant difference in the vocal aspect of America's sound huh?

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score

Love me some America. I have their Greatest Hits and first 4 albums on vinyl. I love that G Hits LP, they way the songs flow together makes it one great listen.

Lord Dweedle

Reaction score
Re: The Official America Thread

I got their greatest hits awhile ago, its not too bad, they're an ok group, I must admit though I love Horse with No Name (its on San Andreas lol).

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.