America (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Lonely People was/is one of my all time favorites. At one point in my teenage life I really "identified" with the song. It was co-written by Peek's wife.

Does anyone know who the black man is on Bass in a lot of their live videos? I did a little bit of searching and didn't find anything.....

I found a great site that has a comprehensive history and Bio of America. It took the guy over 2 years to write it and I believe it was published in 1998.

It's worth the read....

http://www.accessbackstage.com/america/hist.htm

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Their touring bassist from 1972 to 1980 was David Dickey, who died in 2016 - but he was white. David Dickey was replaced by Calvin 'Fuzzy' Samuels, only for 1975 as far as I can tell. He is black, and worked with CSN, Stephen Stills, Manassas, Chris Hillman and others. There is solo footage on YouTube, but it is not my cup of tea. I can only think that the top musicians brought the best out of him.

The Discogs entry: https://www.discogs.com/Fuzzy-Samuel-Love-Dont-Taste-Like-Chicken/release/4000370

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I found a great site that has a comprehensive history and Bio of America. It took the guy over 2 years to write it and I believe it was published in 1998. It's worth the read.... [URL said:

What comes through in this article is the infuence of Ian Samwell, who was not far short of a genius, and their huge mistake in ditching him after the first album. Jeff Baxter was important too and was also cast aside. They seem to have taken the CSN&Y comparison to heart, which mattered little in the UK, in order to appease US audiences. I can think of several singers, who sound like someone else, but have gone on to make far more money than the original. In the end, this self-consciousness backfired on the group.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you @Big Ears

I did find Fuzz Samuel when I was researching but it didn't look like him in the videos.

Strange, too, the only videos I see Fuzzy in were the Musikladen videos. (Thank you @Jake T for the full concert video) which took place in 1975 without an audience.

Edit: I had to google Misikladen. It was a German TV show that would air actual live concerts, which is why there was no audience. After the show ended, there were DVD releases of "The Best of Misikladen". America's 1975 appearance was put on DVD.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online