America (Official Thread)

Radagast

Reaction score
It has been my great pleasure to have attended 3 of America's performances. The last was some 15 years ago. Each of those shows equaled or surpassed the others. A don't miss live show. They performed their songs as fresh and with as much feeling and energy as though they were performing them for the first time. Professional Musicians of the first order. A blend of harmony and musicianship that should not be missed, and I will never forget.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I've always adored the Beatle producer George Martin produced tracks "Tin Man" and "Lonely People" from the "Holiday" album.Mellifluous folk gold all the way..........

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
November 2017 is the 45th birthday of Homecoming

Thanks for reminding me how old I am. I remember when this was released. It had a gatefold cover with a third 'gate', like the Yessongs triple album, but it was only a single album. America were the sons of US expatriates, living here. After the success of the first album, they headed for the US, hence the name. I love both the first album and Homecoming. Horse With No Name, with its stream of consciousness lyrics, is one of those songs that everyone knows, but it is for good reason.

Dewey Bunnell's songs always intersted me, and Ventura Highway from Homecoming is another example of his surreal lyrics with 'alligator lizards in the air'. America soon seemed to run out of ideas, and Hat Trick was only okay by their standards. After this, I pretty much lost track of them.

Ventura Highway is beautiful and the guitar hook is a little marvel:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
^ It is funny how they were not happy with Ventura Highway and it sounded great to me.

In this clip Dewey Bunnell describes how, following their initial success, they struggled to transfer from the studio and clubs to the big shows. There is other footage in which Dan Peek says they were overwhelmed by going from nothing to everything. He died long before his time in 2011, aged only 60.

Love Was Just Another Word by Dan Peek with Gerry Beckley and Dewey Bunnell on background vocals. It was the last time all three recorded together.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online