1st Album-1st Song-Great Debut

Reaction score
Buddy Holly- Oh Boy (1957)

Buddy's first album, titled "The Chirpin' Crickets", was released in November 1957. 'That'll Be The Day" was the first single from the album and it made it all the way to #1. "Oh Boy" was the lead off cut from the album as well as the 2nd single released. It peaked at #10.

"Oh Boy" was created by Holly's writing partners, Norman Petty & Sonny West as well as Bill Tighman. Sonny West recorded the song in 1950 but it was a commercial failure

In early 1958, Buddy Holly and his band appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show and performed the song

Reaction score
Jeff Beck- Shapes Of Things (1968)

After leaving The Yardbirds, Jeff Beck recorded a few solo singles and then began the process of forming his own band. Ronnie Wood on bass, Mickie Waller on drums with assistance on his debut album from folks like John Paul Jones, Nicky Hopkins, Aynsley Dunbar, Keith Moon, Jimmie Page and Madeline Bell.

Of foremost importance was Beck's hiring of Rod Stewart for lead vocals. Stewart had previously worked with several bar bands and recorded a few solo singles that never sold any significant number. Therefore Stewart's work on this album was the first time most ever heard his distinctive voice.

Jeff Beck's debut, Truth, came out in August 1968 and was quite successful as well as influential. Beck chose a redo of a Yardbird'***** to kick off the disc

And Truthfully, I prefer the Yardbird's version but that certainly doesn't diminish this classic album

Reaction score
Johnny Winter- Rollin' and Tumblin' (1968)

I always thought Johnny's first album was from 1969 on Columbia Records self-titled Johnny Winter. Now I've discovered his album debut was actually in 1968 from the Sonobeat label titled The progressive Blues Experiment. he previously cut some singles for the local Houston market. Mike Bloomfield became a fan of his when catching his show at a Texas club and invited Johnny Winter to perform on stage with him at an upcoming Fillmore East show. In the audience were Columbia Records execs who quickly signed Johnny to a contract

But that first album from 1968 was phenomenal now that I've gotten a chance to listen to it. Backed by bass Player Tommy Shannon 9who would later be a member of Stevie Ray Vaughn's Double Trouble band ) and drummer John "Red" Turner, Johnny recorded some blues covers as well as originals on the LP

Rollin' and Tumblin' kicks off the 1968 disc and is now my favorite cover of this famous classic blues tune

1469580068_fce0fdd67c_z.jpg

Reaction score
Blue Cheer- Summertime Blues (1968)

The San Francisco band Blue Cheer released their first album, Vincebus Eruptum, in January 1968 with it's lead-off song, Summertime Blues, as it's single. Summertime Blues was first performed by Eddie Cochran in 1958. However, The Blue Cheer turned that tune into the first bona fide heavy metal hit. It climbed to # 14 on the charts with the album itself reaching #11

All hail the true birth of metal mania

Reaction score
John Tropea- Tambourine (1975)

Indulge me if you would today with this little known but personal favorite jazz guitarist. John Tropea got his start with work accompanying Eumir Deodato in the studios and on tour. He has also appeared on albums and concerts with Billy Cobham, Van Morrison , Eric Clapton, Dr. John and more. His guitar style reminds me mostly of George Benson.

Tropea has about 10 solo albums from the last 40 years, all hard to find or out of print. His first simply titled Tropea came out in 1975. How I discovered it is forgotten but I wore out the grooves very quickly. Here's the lead-off track, Tambourine, which was also used as the opening theme song for the New York City Eyewitness News TV show on WABC from the late 70's.

Reaction score
The Cranberries- I Still Do (1993)

In honor of St. Patrick's day, we take a look at the Irish group The Cranberries. Brothers Mike & Noel Hogan (Bass & Guitar) formed the band in 1989 with Fergal Lawler on drums and singer Niall Quinn. Quinn departed after a year and a newspaper want ad unearthed replacement Dolores O'Riordan. Besides providing vocals, Dolores also supplied keyboards and was the main songwriter for the band.

1993 saw the band release it's first album-Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? The album is best known for it's 2 singles, "Dreams" & "Linger". Dolores wrote the entire album including it's lead-off track 'I Still Do'

R.I.P. Dolores O'Riordan

Reaction score
The Fugs- Slum Goddess (1965)

Sort of the East Coast version of Frank Zappas' Mothers Of Invention, The Fugs recorded their first album in 1965. Poets Ed Sanders & Tuli Kupperberg wrote humorous and vulgar songs that parodied society and were also political in nature. That first album, The Village Fugs Sing Ballads of Contemporary Protest, Point of Views, and General Dissatisfaction, was re-released in 1966 as The Fug's First Album.

Slum Goddess was the first cut. I'm going to embed the live version of that song, performed a few years later at the Fillmore East from the live album Golden Filth. It's so much better

Reaction score
The Zombies- She's Not There (1964)

The Zombies had a bit of a strange album discography story. Formed in 1958 with key members Rod Argent (Vocals & keyboards), Colin Blunstone (Vocals) & George Romero (Brains), this English group got swept up by The British Invasion and signed to Decca Records in 1964. They hit the jackpot right from the start with a #2 chart hit with She's Not There . A few months later they repeated their success with the #6 song Tell Her No.
U.S. tours, TV appearances and an album quickly followed.

However, their American success did not translate back in their home country and all their follow-up singles bombed. Decca refused to release any further albums beside their debut. In 1967 they signed with CBS records who also was hesitant in budgeting an album. Therefore they financed it themselves. They even borrowed John Lennon's Mellotron instead of hiring extra musicians. The album was completed but they already decided to call it quits.

The album would have languished in a vault except Al Kooper had heard the tapes and was impressed. He convinced the record company to release it in the USA . Odessey and Oracle was released in April 1968 with it's single Time Of The Season. It took a while for the sales to come through but the album got rave reviews and the song made it to #1. CBS wanted another Zombies album but once again the group had already decided to call it quits.

Rod Argent went on to head up his own band Argent and the Zombies only had 2 albums released until their 1990's reunion

Back to the opening track of their American-version debut album with footage of their TV show Hullabaloo appearance

Reaction score
The Youngbloods-Grizzly Bear (1967)

Jesse Colin-Young formed the NYC Youngbloods group in 1965. This folk rock group was critically acclaimed but only sold a modest amount of albums between 1967-1972. Their biggest hit was "Get Together" which initially disappeared quickly from the charts. However a radio station and a charity group used the song as a background for some promotional ads. The single was re-released and became a late 1960's anthem, reaching to #5 on the charts in 1969

I have one particular memory about the Youngbloods. By 1969, I was watching Johnny Carson's Tonight Show on TV regularly. He announced that the following night, The Youngbloods would appear on the show. Carson disliked rock 'n roll, it was extremely rare that he'd have any such act on his show such as that. I looked forward to that show.

That next night The Tonight Show aired and Ed McMahon announced the guest list. No Youngbloods. After Carson's monologue, Johnny began with 'In case you were wondering about The Younbloods appearing on this show...". Johnny then explained how that group was insufferably demanding, insulting, whiny and intolerable. They didn't like the studio conditions among other things. Carson claimed he personally kicked them off the show. Never saw Johnny act so angrily towards a guest on the show, even if they were absent .

Much later in an interview with Jesse-Colin Young, he said the only problem was that The Youngbloods wanted to perform a song from their new album but The Tonight Show insisted on only "Get Together'. Anyhow, Dick Cavett got all the cool rock acts on his show

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Staff online

Members online