1st Album-1st Song-Great Debut

Reaction score
Cactus-Parchman Farm (1970)

Bassist Tim Bogert and drummer Carmine Appice were looking for a new project since The Vanilla Fudge dissolved. There hope was to team up with Jeff Beck fr a new group. Alas, Beck was involved in a serious auto accident in 1969 and was going through a long recovery. So Jim McCarty from Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels along with vocalist Rusty Day from The Amboy Dukes were enlisted

The eponymous debut from Atco Records showed the group to be a hard rocking, blues influenced band with a touch of metal. Cactus released 3 more albums between 1971 and 1972 and extensively toured the country. Diminishing sales and support from their record label as well as Jeff Beck now being available for Bogert and Appice to hook up with caused Cactus to disband.

The first album was the best and their entire catalog filled the discount album bins in the early 70's where I discovered them, only risking 99 cents per disc.

Mose Allison's blues tune Parchman Farm kicked off the debut album in thunderous hard rock style. I'll also embed my favorite song from that LP, an original tune called Feels So Good

Reaction score
Can-Father Cannot Yell (1969)

Can was a German experimental rock/ avant-garde group born in 1968. Influences included psychedelics, Andy Warhol, free jazz and classical music. At first American vocalist Malcolm Mooney was used.His psychiatrist advised Mooney, for the sake of his sanity, to leave the group and soon he was replaced by Japanese singer Daimo Suzuki.

During the early 70's, Can probably had a dedicated following in Germany and possibly Europe but at that time they were pretty much unknown in the USA. I started listening to their music in recent years and find them on a par with Pink Floyd in those early days. In fact I find Can's 4 albums between 1969-1972 more interesting than The Floyd's during those same years-blasphemy I know but I'm being honest. Floyd fans are encouraged to check out Can's Tago Mago (1971) or Ege Bamyasi (1972) for comparison's sake.

Can continued recording as a group through 1979, delving into ambient music. A 1989 reunion birthed one more album

Their debut LP was 1969's Monster Movie, it's lead track Father Cannot Yell, very Velvet Undergroundish

From Ege Bamyasi- One More Night

Considered their masterpiece LP, here is Oh Yeah from the Tago Mago album

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online