You and punk!

gigispeed1332

Reaction score
Unfortunately, those artists (excluding Elton John, of course) got less and less hard/heavy as time went on. That's part of what those punk bands were rebelling against in the early days, even though some of them even did it themselves once they signed to major labels. See 999, for example.

I guess, but you don't have to be heavy to have great music obv.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I hate to burst the bubble of all the Punk fans, because I know they take great joy in claiming 'Punk Killed Disco'.

Sorry. Punk didn't kill Disco.

I could say '80s Techno/New Wave' killed Punk. But that wouldn't be true either. Punk's still around. So is Disco.

Those two particular genres had a relatively short time in the spotlight because they have much smaller followings.

One genre has never 'killed' another genre. Once a genre has contributed to the evolution of music, it's there, forever. You can't 'kill' a genre. Every genre of music is still here, being played somewhere in the world this very second.

Just because 80s Techno/New Wave popularity was overtaken by the Grunge explosion in the early 90s, that doesn't mean 80s pop was killed.

Anyone want to guess what keeps music moving? Youth.

Now, I'm not an expert, but the word 'genre' looks an awful lot like the word 'generation'.

Think about it. Teeny boppers that loved Elvis were parents and working class citizens by the time the British Invasion was in full swing.

And who were the people that heard and loved the British Invasion?

Yup, the kids of those Elvis loving teeny boppers.

I remember when Kurt Cobain died. It didn't affect me, but I have a brother 12 years younger than me, and he was devastated. Grunge was my brother's genre and Kurt spoke to that generation.

See the point?

Music...it's a never ending trip. As long as there are new ears, there's going to be newer music.

The one constant, unchanging thing in music is that it's always changing. (Hey! That's not bad!)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I hate to burst the bubble of all the Punk fans, because I know they take great joy in claiming 'Punk Killed Disco'.

I could say '80s Techno/New Wave' killed Punk. But that wouldn't be true either. Punk's still around. So is Disco.

Those two particular genres had a relatively short time in the spotlight because they have much smaller followings.

One genre has never 'killed' another genre. Once a genre has contributed to the evolution of music, it's there, forever. You can't 'kill' a genre. Every genre of music is still here, being played somewhere in the world this very second.

Just because 80s Techno/New Wave popularity was overtaken by the Grunge explosion in the early 90s, that doesn't mean 80s pop was killed.

Now, I'm not an expert, but the word 'genre' looks an awful lot like the word 'generation'.

Think about it. Teeny boppers that loved Elvis were parents and working class citizens by the time the British Invasion was in full swing.

I remember when Kurt Cobain died. It didn't affect me, but I have a brother 12 years younger than me, and he was devastated. Grunge was my brother's genre and Kurt spoke to that generation.

See the point?

Music...it's a never ending trip. As long as there are new ears, there's going to be newer music.

The one constant, unchanging thing in music is that it's always changing. (Hey! That's not bad!)
:grinthumb

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Here are is some interesting quotes regarding punk

The Ramones' loud, fast, straightforward musical style was influenced by pop music that the band members grew up listening to in the 1950s and 1960s, including classic rock groups such as The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Kinks, and The Rolling Stones; bubblegum acts like the 1910 Fruitgum Company and Ohio Express; and girl groups such as The Ronettes and The Shangri-Las. They also drew on the harder rock sound of The Stooges and the New York Dolls, both now known as seminal protopunk bands.[87] The Ramones' style was in part a reaction against the heavily produced, often bombastic music that dominated the pop charts in the 1970s. "We decided to start our own group because we were bored with everything we heard," Joey once explained. "In 1974 everything was tenth-generation Led Zeppelin, tenth-generation Elton John, or overproduced, or just junk. Everything was long jams, long guitar solos.... We missed music like it used to be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Ramones drummer Tommy Ramone, "In its initial form, a lot of [1960s] stuff was innovative and exciting. Unfortunately, what happens is that people who could not hold a candle to the likes of Hendrix started noodling away. Soon you had endless solos that went nowhere. By 1973, I knew that what was needed was some pure, stripped down, no bullshit rock 'n' roll."[4] John Holmstrom, founding editor of Punk magazine, recalls feeling "punk rock had to come along because the rock scene had become so tame that [acts] like Billy Joel and Simon and Garfunkel were being called rock and roll, when to me and other fans, rock and roll meant this wild and rebellious music."

I could a rats ass what the ramones think they we're reacting too or any band claiming they were reacting too. Or what historian today thinks about the punk movement. They took their start from bands that were already around they didn't start anything. Those statements above are BS and press BS so they could sell more Records. Just like today the press looked for a way to sell more magazines by trying to create this divide in music.

gigispeed1332

Reaction score

See the point?

Fantastic post

Born to Lose

Reaction score
I wasnt around for it, but for me, punk rock is some kind of magic. No band ever struck me as being more human experience than Social Distortion, and no band ever got my heart pumping like Rise Against. No band makes me wanna break **** like the Ramones. It's such an untamed force in its simplicity, and the no-frills, this is how it is, approach of the lyrics makes it all that much more powerful when singing about personal issues, society, or politics.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online