You and punk!

WKB

Reaction score
I've never really liked punk. I like many "post-punk" and "new wave" bands like Joy Division, The Cure etc., but bands like Sex Pistols just never did anything to me. The Clash are ok, I'm not a big fan but I listen to them occasionally.

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
I've been a huge fan of punk since about '86, at the wee age of 13. Prior to that, my "knowledge" consisted of Hard Rock and Metal music from the early/mid 80's and some from the 70s.

It all started with GBH and DRI. Although that is more Hardcore/Punk, I thought it was the best stuff since sliced cheese.

I like the music's sincerity, stripped down, bare-bones... both musically and attitude. Still do. Only punk was capable of destroying disco, not proggy rock or AOR bands of the late 70's.

I can only wish I was around for the "Punk Explosision" of the late 70's, but most people only think the "Sex Pistols were a punk band," but it's roots go much deeper than that.

I think it knocked keyboard ridden prog and disco out of focus, which was a damn great thing if you ask me. It was also a much needed rebellion during the "Reagan Era," when Ronnie boy was doing all his screwing over the working glass, raising unemployment and creating nuclear weapons.

Punk til death!

Venomous Mask

Keeper of the slime
Reaction score
I like individual songs when I hear them, but on the whole, it never really jived with me. I do like some of the weirder hardcore stuff like early Neurosis

gigispeed1332

Reaction score
I was not around, but it is interesting to read stories of the divide in music at the time and how alot of "rock and roll fans" could not get into the emerging punk scene. I personally find alot of it repetitive and boring and just can't get into it. Now don't get me wrong, there are a couple I really love, The Clash, Sex Pistols and I will listen to the Ramones on occasion If you want to consider MC5 and The Stooges punk, I also don't mind them.

I was reading in someone's post about how they read about Iggy Pop cutting himself and Lou Reed shooting himself on stage (Love Lou Reed btw) and how it turned them off all punk, well that is unfortunate. I really try to enjoy good music despite the genre. It seemed that you came to your senses though and eventually realized some punk is good music just like other genres.

I find the Clash's diversity (imo they can't really to be called just a punk band) is what makes them stand out, especially on London Calling. Again just my opinion though. I can imagine the raw emotion of them on stage and running around being really fun to see as well, unfortunately I will never get a chance like that with a true punk band that I have interest in seeing live.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Huh amazing what history books and website rewrite history? Lou Reed was never punk (Metal Machine Music came out in the middle of the punk age) and while some of his early works are proto punk (influence punk) he never jumped on that bandwagon. I saw Lou Reed during the punk days at the Bottom Line and you didn't see punks there either and the Bottom Line wasn't that far from CBGB's.

and if Iggy Pop and the Stooges are punk then the punk movement started in the 60's and the original question of this thread is shot to hell. Which I don't have a problem with since I disagree with it to begin with. Punk was just another genre in the mid 70's and plenty of other stuff was going on. Punk didn't stop another genre and wasn't a reaction to other music. It like everything came out of influences of bands that were already playing a stripped down version of rock.

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
and if Iggy Pop and the Stooges are punk then the punk movement started in the 60's and the original question of this thread is shot to hell. Which I don't have a problem with since I disagree with it to begin with. Punk was just another genre in the mid 70's and plenty of other stuff was going on. Punk didn't stop another genre and wasn't a reaction to other music. It like everything came out of influences of bands that were already playing a stripped down version of rock.

Yes, it did start in the 60's. It just didn't have it's own "genre tag" until '76, when the media and record biz found it an image that would appeal to teeny boppers.

Punk WAS a reaction to mainstream music in the late 70's. Just look up old interviews with bands like The Damned and what not and you'll hear it from the horses mouth. It was more than a "stripped down version of rock." It was more like an injection of danger into what was becoming watered down, boring music in the late 70's. Most bands that existed in the early 70's that might be considered "harder rock" (or whatever you may want to call it) were cleaning up their sound (see Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, KISS, Led Zeppelin, etc.). Newer bands were following suit. The "hard blues," or even Psychedelic Harder Rock of the late 60's and early 70's had become watered down, keyboard/synthesizer ridden and absolutely commercialized. That was everything punk was rebelling against.

gigispeed1332

Reaction score
Here are is some interesting quotes regarding punk

The Ramones' loud, fast, straightforward musical style was influenced by pop music that the band members grew up listening to in the 1950s and 1960s, including classic rock groups such as The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Kinks, and The Rolling Stones; bubblegum acts like the 1910 Fruitgum Company and Ohio Express; and girl groups such as The Ronettes and The Shangri-Las. They also drew on the harder rock sound of The Stooges and the New York Dolls, both now known as seminal protopunk bands.[87] The Ramones' style was in part a reaction against the heavily produced, often bombastic music that dominated the pop charts in the 1970s. "We decided to start our own group because we were bored with everything we heard," Joey once explained. "In 1974 everything was tenth-generation Led Zeppelin, tenth-generation Elton John, or overproduced, or just junk. Everything was long jams, long guitar solos.... We missed music like it used to be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Ramones drummer Tommy Ramone, "In its initial form, a lot of [1960s] stuff was innovative and exciting. Unfortunately, what happens is that people who could not hold a candle to the likes of Hendrix started noodling away. Soon you had endless solos that went nowhere. By 1973, I knew that what was needed was some pure, stripped down, no bullshit rock 'n' roll."[4] John Holmstrom, founding editor of Punk magazine, recalls feeling "punk rock had to come along because the rock scene had become so tame that [acts] like Billy Joel and Simon and Garfunkel were being called rock and roll, when to me and other fans, rock and roll meant this wild and rebellious music."

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Hey I love those quotes they blame it on led zep and Elton John instead of prog. Haha

gigispeed1332

Reaction score
Hey I love those quotes they blame it on led zep and Elton John instead of prog. Haha

Well its not Zeppelin, Hendrix and Elton John's fault that so many tried to replicate them and couldn't do as fantastic of a job... obviously they are praising them and blaming them at the same time!

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
Well its not Zeppelin, Hendrix and Elton John's fault that so many tried to replicate them and couldn't do as fantastic of a job... obviously they are praising them and blaming them at the same time!

Unfortunately, those artists (excluding Elton John, of course) got less and less hard/heavy as time went on. That's part of what those punk bands were rebelling against in the early days, even though some of them even did it themselves once they signed to major labels. See 999, for example.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online