You and punk!

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
How much of an influence did the outbreak of punk rock in the mid to late seventies have on you as a rock fan? Were you there? Was punk in your neck of the woods? How did you react to it? Did you embrace it or were you repelled by it?

:huh:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
My first impression:yuck! To my oldest brother:get that trash off my stereo system. :oyea: After numerous plays of Patti Smith Horses album I started to like her.

rtbuck

Reaction score
I was there & here's my story (which I may have told before):

I was heavy into Kiss & other hard rock bands in 1977 & I was buying all of the music magazines. Rock Scene mostly covered the NYC scene & it was mostly photos. Kiss was always featured so I always bought Rock Scene but it had bands like the Ramones, David Johansen, The Heartbreakers,Lou Reed,Iggy, Patti Smith,Wayne County, Blondie, Television...etc. & I didn't want really any part of those bands(Gimme Kiss,Aerosmith, Nugent, B.O.C., & Sabbath!!!!!!). However,the magazine did make me aware of these bands.

In August of '77 the October issue of Hit Parader magazine came out with the Beatles on the cover. I had to buy the magazine because there was a centerfold poster of Ace Frehley in concert but also in that issue was an article on the Sex Pistols & Punk Rock. I was angry with the article & really grew a hatred towards the whole Punk concept without even hearing a note of it. I hated the look of the bands (No long hair...how could this be Rock & Roll????) & the stuff I read about the Pistols throwing up in Public, swearing on TV,spitting on the fans, & the fans spitting back just pissed me off more. I was then reading how Iggy used to cut himself onstage & Lou Reed would shoot up onstage...no, I wanted no part of this. I was 14 at the time & later that month my parents took me & my friend up to Samoset Lodge on Lake Nippising up in Northern Ontario for a week. We were able to pull in one rock radio station on our small portable radio we had with us & one evening the DJ came on & said that he may get in trouble for playing the next song because it was banned but he was going to play it anyway. That song was "God Save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols. I had no idea what to think. I almost hated to admit it but I liked the energy & sound of the music & then Rotten started to sing & I thought it was awful so I didn't give it much thought.

A few months later my Uncle Ken(my dad's brother who lived with us) came home from work with a few record albums. Someone he worked with had also worked in a record store & would occasionally give my uncle some promo records. This time he gave me a band called Driver, a band called Target, & a band he told my Uncle would blow Kiss away...the Ramones 'Rocket to Russia'. My first thought was "Yuck...not the Ramones!". I figured what the Hell & threw it on. "Harder than Kiss???...No way" I thought. This was Punk, I wasn't supposed to like it but I did find the lyrics & the artwork on the inner sleeve & back cover pretty funny. Still, I looked at the album as if it was a joke & traded it to a friend for Bad Co. 'Straight Shooter'.

Time went by & a couple of years later I was over at my friend's house because he had HBO. We decided to watch the movie 'Rock & Roll High School' & that was it I was hooked. After seeing the movie I was totally into the Ramones & I couldn't believe the fun & energy that I witnessed in the concert scene of the movie. I went out & bought 'Rocket to Russia' soon afterwards. Around the same time I was listening to an interview with Pete Towshend & he was going on about how Punk Rock has brought the fun back into Rock & Roll & considered the Sex Pistols "Pretty Vacant" to be the "My Generation" of this generation. They then played the songs back to back & I loved "Pretty Vacant".

It was now 1981 & I was going to see Pat Benatar in concert. Opening the show was David Johansen & the day of the show a local radio station played the title track from his new album "Here Comes the Night" & I thought the tune was great. That evening I was blown away by Johansen's performance particularly a song called "Stranded in the Jungle". A few days after the show I went looking for that song & had no luck but I did pick up a couple of his albums. Sometime after that I started thinking back to Rock Scene magazine...David Johansen hmmmm...Wait a second!! He was in that band ...the NY Dolls...yuck! How could I buy an album with guys who dressed as girls (or so I thought)?? I noticed "Stranded in the Jungle" was on 'Too Much too Soon' & glancing at the live shot on the cover all I could think of was Aerosmith.Johansen & Thunders on the cover looked like Perry & Tyler while Arthur Kane in the background made me think of Tom Hamilton. I bought the album & from that first listen I was hooked.

I was drinking beer at a friend's apartment one day & was getting pretty buzzed listening to Max Webster & Crack the Sky. I'm looking through his records & I come across Lou Reed 'Rock & Roll Animal'. I yell over to him "Lou Reed????" & tossed it over to him. Wow! I could not believe my ears with the double guitar onslaught by...Dick Wagner & Steve Hunter whose names I was familiar with from Alice Cooper. By now we were really buzzed & I came across a Suzi Quatro album & I threw it over to my friend. We both thought it sucked so we decided to...eat the record & we both took turns taking bites out of the vinyl disc. I came across 'Metallic KO' by Iggy & the Stooges & Iggy's 'Lust for Life' record. I never heard anything like either one of those records & couldn't believe my ears as Iggy assaulted the hell out of the audience on the live Metallic KO album & couldn't stop laughing at his version of "Louie Louie".

It's now around '83 & I'm getting into punk more & more although I still loved the Hard Rock/Metal Scene that was going on. I'm cranking out the Dolls album & looking at the cover & I think to myself man Johnny Thunders looks like one cool mother F'er. We had a local record store called 'Home of the Hits' that specialized in Punk & Metal imports & I kind of remembered seeing a divider for Johnny Thunders records there but never even thought to look. I went into the store & went right to the Johnny Thunders section where they had 4 or 5 albums. There was a double record called 'In Cold Blood' & it was only 8.99. I looked at the song titles & seen he covered "Louie Louie", "Gloria", "Green Onions", & "Do You Love Me". Plus he did a song called "Too Much Junkie Business" which I thought may have been a play on Chuck Berry's "Too Much Monkey Business". I bought the record,I put it on, & God this had to be the worst thing I heard!!! The sound was awful,the singing was embarassing & the instuments sounded out of tune. I thought I'd never listen to it again but one day I did & it still sucked yet something told me to give another album a try so I did. I bought the 'Live at Max's' record & I liked it. The opening song "Milk Me" was actually "Chatterbox" by the NY Dolls which was one of my favs. I went back & bought 'L.A.M.F.' & 'So Alone' & I've been a fan since. In my opinion I think 'L.A.M.F.' is the greatest punk record ever made but that's just according to my tastes as it has the power chords of the Ramones mixed with earsplitting lead guitars.

I'm taking a break for now before I get into how the local Punk scene & Canadian punk bands helped influence me

runtfan

Reaction score
I was around and was a burgeoning rock fan at the time. Punk, for me, was just a curiosity taking place in England and the East Coast ( as far as I knew). It made very little impression on me and not a whole lot on anyone I knew. I thought it was a put on. I had a couple friends that got into it and turned me on to alot of it, but I didn't like it and still don't.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
How much of an influence did the outbreak of punk rock in the mid to late seventies have on you as a rock fan? Were you there? Was punk in your neck of the woods? How did you react to it? Did you embrace it or were you repelled by it?

I'll be honest....here in suburban Long Island it was like punk didn't even exist. Sure, there were a few fans, but Long Island was Led Zeppelin country in the late 70's. Also, Southern Rock was huge. Also, prog rock was big too. I'd even say disco, which I despise was way more popular than punk rock.

From my perspective, the small percentage of people who were into punk had to travel into the city (New York City) to join others who were into punk. Because on Long Island, punk wasn't happening.

Here on Long Island, in the mid to late 70's, bands like Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Black Sabbath, Hot Tuna, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Yes, Jethro Tull, , Blue Oyster Cult, Billy Joel, Kansas, The Grateful Dead, Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels Band, New Riders of the Purple Sage, The Good Rats, KISS, Boston, Johnny Winter, Allman Brothers Band, The Outlaws, Eric Clapton, The Eagles, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Thin Lizzy, The Who, Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Foghat, Joe Walsh, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Steve Miller Band, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Moody Blues, Steely Dan, Bad Company, Jefferson Starship, Robin Trower, Rainbow, Heart, Little Feat, The Kinks, Pat Travers Band, the Kinks, Jackson Browne, Rick Derringer, Santana, Frank Zappa, Neil Young along with other bands were ''the bands of the day''. And as I mentioned earlier, Led Zeppelin was huge - hands down, the most popular band. Practically everyone was into Led Zeppelin.

It wasn't until Punk changed over to New Wave in the 80's, when that sort of stuff caught on in suburban Long Island, New York, U.S.A.

Personally, looking back on punk rock? - it stunk. Sounded like angry fast rehashed 50's and mid 60's music sung with crappy weird vocals. Not too original.

I tried going back and checking out punk years later and found, The Ramones and The Clash were the cream of the crop. The rest was garbage to me, no offense to punkers, just my opinion.

Today, I love The Ramones and The Clash. I even saw The Ramones in concert once in early-mid 90's.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I can't say I was ever a big fan of Punk Rock music when I was growing up throughout the 70's, and that seems to be the general concensus so far in this thread.

After transitioning from listening to AM Top 40 stations to FM radio in the early 70's, I would hear Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, David Bowie and Roxy Music, but it was never impressed upon me by radio DJs or newspaper articles that they were really Punk Rock bands. Underground and influenced by, perhaps, but not "Punk".

As for the bands at the time that were known to me as Punk (The New York Dolls, The Stooges, The Ramones and The Sex Pistols), I never got into them. I was more of a fan of rock music whose bands who were capable of more complex musical instrumentation and composition (such as it was with three-chord rock).

But as for the myriad of 70's bands that were perhaps influenced by the New York Punk scene ("Post Punk" as I call them -- Patti Smith, Blondie, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Dire Straits, The Cars), I liked what I heard on the radio, but not enough for me to buy their albums. That was also true for The Clash, Devo, The B52's and The Police that would follow. Fun bands to listen to, but my heart was still with Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Journey and the like.

But after all these years, I have bought and enjoyed music from almost all of the above-mentioned artists except the Sex Pistols.

I can also say with 100% certainty I have never been a fan of any Punk band from any other decade to date. None whatsoever.

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
I was born in '90, so naturally I wasn't around.

My dad got into punk back in '77, though, and was a big part of the underground hardcore circuit in the 80's, so I kind of grew up with it. At it's best, punk just seems like good rock 'n roll to me, I don't see any reason to separate bands like the Clash, the Ramones, the Stooges, or MC5 from the Stones or Chuck Berry...Not that they all sound the same, or even all that much alike, just that they've all got a common feel to them. At it's worst, it's too aggressive for me. I like anger, I like rowdiness, but I also like to be able to understand the lyrics. Being a teenager in LA, all my friends (and my dad, of course) were into Black Flag, the Germs, and a plethora of local bands that all sounded and looked the same while espousing their nonconformity, and none of that really did it for me. I liked the hippies better.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online