You and punk!

Khor1255

Reaction score
I initially hated it almost as bad as disco. In the 80s music got so boring to me that I found myself in a punk band for a brief time. It was still awful but fun as well. Like dischordant muzak.

E-Z

Reaction score
I must admit back in the mid/late 1970s i was into bands like BLACK SABBATH, DEEP PURPLE & RAINBOW (still am) and didn't like punk or the punks at all BUT in recent years i picked up on some punk bands especially the PISTOLS & SID VICIOUS and the first couple of STIFF LITTLE FINGERS albums and even SHAM 69 and to be honest it all sounds pretty good to my ears.

Yeah Punk is ok. :grinthumb

eccentric man

Reaction score
How much of an influence did the outbreak of punk rock in the mid to late seventies have on you as a rock fan? Were you there? Was punk in your neck of the woods? How did you react to it? Did you embrace it or were you repelled by it?

:huh:

Far too concerned with figuring out how to tie my shoes at the time. Wasn't there. Don't think it really wandered into my neck of the woods until much later. My first taste of the punk rock attitude was like getting zapped by lightning (via old school mid-80s Red Hot Chili Peppers). I fully embraced that attitude and still do, but I've been rather repelled by the defined style.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
I started out listening to stuff like Green Day, The Offspring, Blink 182 etc. But as time slowly moved on and I was exposed to much more music, moved away from a lot of that to Classic Rock.

Saw Green Day at Wembley Arena in 2002 then 10 days later saw the Sex Pistols at Crystal Palace sports stadium. Incredible!

US Punk as I call it - The Ramones, New York Dolls, Lou Reed, MC5, Iggy & The Stooges is incredible. Later on the likes of [Early!] Green Day, The Offspring, Blink 182 [to a degree].

UK Punk - Sex Pistols, The Clash, Souixise & The Banshees. Most of this is ****ing shit.

Berserker

Reaction score
NOFX was the first punk band I loved, then

Descendents
Operation Ivy
Rancid
Lagwagon
Less Then Jake
Pennywise
Bigwig
Pulley
Strung Out

I got to go to a lot of all ages concerts and my friends went and we had all the music and I was really into it until I just got tired of it. I still like it every now and then but I mainly listen to other things now. Unless you consider Sublime punk, then I still listen to that a lot.

I am contemplating going to see Lagwagon in September but I don't have anyone to go with.

Bonham'ssqueakypedal

Reaction score
Nope. I'm too young. Punk is usually considered to be the "executioner" of my favorite kind of music which is prog rock. I'm not angry or bitter(unlike most punks). I was only 7 in 77 anyway so I can't say. ANyway, as I've matured I've been interested in exploring some punk. I'm kind of new to researching it though but some of the stuff I've heard on the radio I thought has been ok to good(all the usual suspects). I'm mainly interested in exploring the first wave of punk though and some of the eighties bands. I think it became too commercial later on(ie Greenday, the offspring, etc)for my tastes although I did like the dookie album by Greenday. I really don't know much though so you guys might see me around here again.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
If you like progressive rock, you might like the Stranglers, Magazine and Television.

Powerage, you might like The Motors, who were associated wth punk rock, but were really an all-out rock band.

Bonham'ssqueakypedal

Reaction score
I've heard of those bands as well as the Soft Boys, Cardiacs, Pere Ubu and PIL. I even have a couple Pere Ubu cds but I think they are more experimental proto punk. I used to like "cut the crap" by the Clash when I was a teen. I bought it again recently and it's a lot worse than I remember although there are still a few good songs on it. I like the eclecticism of the Clash but haven't heard much by them. I do own "london calling" but haven't gotten around to playing it yet so there's one. Lol.

A band doesn't have to be proggish or need to have synthesizers for me to like it. I do like PIL though but I suppose they aren't pure punk except maybe the earlier stuff.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online