Would You Honestly Eliminate Any Music Genre or Artist From Existence?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm quite surprised, Sooty, I thought you would jump at the chance to put Celion Dion in Room 101 ;)

In an ideal world I'd like to see music that outright promotes violence, racism or anything similarly overly offensive gone from existence, there are enough hostile, sick b's out there without encouraging or glorifying it. Apart from that even though there's plenty of genres/artists I really can't stomach, I reckon if somebody out there gets enjoyment from it, who am I to spoil their fun.

As much as I joke about Celine Dion being the Antichrist and her music makes my skin crawl I don't want to rob the grannies and soccer moms who love her from their enjoyment! :grinthumb

I don't see any music when you look at it close enough as promoting hatred except for actual Natzi Skinhead music which is the one place where I may cross the line I set for myself! :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Elitist or not, I'd get rid of opera. Like Frank Barone (Peter Boyle) said about it on an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond", "Opera...just what we need, more fat women screaming".

:oyea:

I liked that show, great chemistry and good writing. Sad that Peter Boyle died not so long ago.:(

As far as Opera...on one hand I agree with you it's really difficult to listen to someone belting out a song in a foreign language telling a story you can't follow. However some of the best music in classical comes with opera, and I enjoy listening to it without the singing.

The only way I could definitely decide about Opera would be to learn Italian so I could understand it, for some reason most operas were written in their language with French second I believe.:think:

Khor1255

Reaction score
No. There are several I don't at all care for and if you asked me this question 20 years ago my answer would have been quite different but to each his own.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
:) It would be carnival time for me if Bryan Ferry got permanent laryngitis :D

There are a few genres I can't be doing with but there's always the off button on a machine or a my legs to walk away with. I strongly believe in freedom of choice in life and so long as no one is getting hurt .. then fine.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Fun topic, but it's fascism!!...this would be like the ****'s making bonfires of all Jewish literature and music scores, or *** controlled school boards in the deep-south banning Charles Darwen.

But if I was pushed....I would probably make it illegal and punishable by a jail term of up to 5 years for the music of both Muse and Susan Boyle to ever be played, even in the privacy of your own home.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
As far as Opera...on one hand I agree with you it's really difficult to listen to someone belting out a song in a foreign language telling a story you can't follow. However some of the best music in classical comes with opera, and I enjoy listening to it without the singing.

The only way I could definitely decide about Opera would be to learn Italian so I could understand it, for some reason most operas were written in their language with French second I believe.:think:
I'm a fan of opera for two reasons . One like you said great classical music comes from a bunch of operas. Also I've been to the opera and there is a little TelePrompter in front of each person translating the story in English. When you know what is going on its like a play.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Definitely not!

I was just thinking tonight how much I hate Joe Jonas... because of how goofy and out of place he was in Les Miserables. But why would I eliminate him from existence?? Number one he has lots of people who he makes happy, and in my opinion to eliminate that would be a genuinely evil and unspeakably cruel act, especially just to do it because of something astronomically petty like "oh, I don't like his music." It would take a sick and lost individual to do something like that.

Secondly, you never know what could happen. ANY artist could eventually win your favor or put out music that you like. I bet in 1964 people never thought The Beatles would get so experimental, or in 1959 that Ronnie James Dio would become a figurehead for a genre that wouldn't even exist for decade yet. You never know what could happen, it's impossible to predict accurately.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Definitely not!

I was just thinking tonight how much I hate Joe Jonas... because of how goofy and out of place he was in Les Miserables. But why would I eliminate him from existence?? Number one he has lots of people who he makes happy, and in my opinion to eliminate that would be a genuinely evil and unspeakably cruel act, especially just to do it because of something astronomically petty like "oh, I don't like his music." It would take a sick and lost individual to do something like that.

Secondly, you never know what could happen. ANY artist could eventually win your favor or put out music that you like. I bet in 1964 people never thought The Beatles would get so experimental, or in 1959 that Ronnie James Dio would become a figurehead for a genre that wouldn't even exist for decade yet. You never know what could happen, it's impossible to predict accurately.

This! :grinthumb

I don't know almost a single artist who hasn't done something I like even if it was an experimental fail or flop that I liked that they or their fans hated! :)

Iggy

Coal mining ruffian
Reaction score
The title thread says it all. Is your hatred for any artist or genre to the point where you'd take it away from existence despite the fact that others genuinely enjoy it? My answer is obviously no! :heheh:

Yes, absolutely, in a heartbeat. Metallica was right... This title says it all too ............

956067_1329622259342_full.jpg

................. I'm only joking .... British twisted humour again. [Yes, humour is the correct spelling here] :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.