• Record companies/media don't want to promote them

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wasn't Joan Jett main appeal, is that she didn't conform to the dolly-bird, girly persona. Therefore, she was praised just for being different.

I didn't see "different" listed anywhere beside her name. She didn't try to look or act like a male (look at the Cherry Bomb video posted above). She is a guitarist, a damn good guitarist, a pioneer, and a woman. I think she is recognized for her skills.

You asked why women dont take that bohemian attitude to the guitar. Take a look at The Great Kat. She is a bohemian monster on the guitar. She takes complex classical pieces and turns them into thrash masterpieces. Her skill is recognized (she is listed in the top 10 fastest guitarists) and has been compared to Yngwie J. Malmsteen.

Flight of the Bumblebee

Beethoven Mosh 5th Symphony

Johnny DYR

Reaction score
I think it may be the same reason why Women don't shine in other areas.

possibilities
- Physiological smaller fingers, muscles.
- sociological not enough role models, not expected to do it.

Although, I look at people as individuals and of course more praise to the outliers.

Jantine

Reaction score
I think it may be the same reason why Women don't shine in other areas.

possibilities
- Physiological smaller fingers, muscles.
- sociological not enough role models, not expected to do it.

Although, I look at people as individuals and of course more praise to the outliers.

I would have thought smaller fingers would be an advantage.

Second point makes sense.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Women are in this thread. Posting and playing guitar.

Everyone who's a woman, raise your hand.

Someone said something earlier, that maybe women just aren't interested in being the best lead guitarist or whatever, in as much as they're interested in guitar being an artistic release for them.

That makes sense to me. I mean, women are wired differently than men. They're far for intelligent than men when it comes to processing the world around them.

Men are more competitive by nature. Now, before everyone goes diving on me, let me explain.

Men on the majority, have to always be the best. Whether it's the best looking yard, coolest car, whatever. That goes for guitar, too. It's a code in the male DNA, I think, to be competitive. Right alongside the code that makes men think they can walk up to a woman and say something incredibly stupid, but the male thinks it's awesomely clever.

Women, on the other hand, aren't designed that way. I'm not saying they don't compete, I'm saying they don't compete over everything the way men do.

Maybe that's why there aren't a huge amount of female guitar gods. Maybe, these women who play guitar, are playing for their own satisfaction, and they don't care about being the best. Maybe they only care about being fufilled.

I dunno. Just a thought.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I didn't see "different" listed anywhere beside her name. She didn't try to look or act like a male (look at the Cherry Bomb video posted above). She is a guitarist, a damn good guitarist, a pioneer, and a woman. I think she is recognized for her skills.

You asked why women dont take that bohemian attitude to the guitar. Take a look at The Great Kat. She is a bohemian monster on the guitar. She takes complex classical pieces and turns them into thrash masterpieces. Her skill is recognized (she is listed in the top 10 fastest guitarists) and has been compared to Yngwie J. Malmsteen.

Flight of the Bumblebee

Beethoven Mosh 5th Symphony

I'm not very impressed w/ her...she is very fast but lacks the finesse and style of Y. Malmsteen. I think that Taylor 13 already has it over her at age 13.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
The video showed "best female guitarist". Why the sub-category (rhetorical question).

You say "thing of the past" in regards to guitar heros. Is that lack of dedication by women as well as men?

Because in my honest opinion women guitar players are just now catching up to their male counterparts.

There is no lack of dedicated players or real guitar hero's there is a lack of a spotlight ( media attention / record company promotion) for acts that really hone their skills and press the boundaries of playing...even for male acts... these days.

Jantine

Reaction score
Vehicle & DaKillerWolf have put a close to this thread. Many reasons to place the fault on a particular reason.

Ooohh well, such is life.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online