Why Is European Metal Better Than American?

Reaction score
I posted a poll on this topic earlier and Europe (as of now) has a 14 to 5 lead. Don't know who the 5 are that choose America as they didn't own up to it. So why are European Metal bands for the most part better (as the poll results say)?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Sheer quantity and variety of metal bands from Europe is one reason I think they have put out more high quality metal music than the US.

Myself, I like heavy/power/symphonic/progressive metal, and Europe has tons of good bands in those genres.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Quantity and Diversity. European bands are in much more quantity. The metal scene is huge in Europe. Diversity is also more apparent in Europe. The choices are infinite. Europe seems to be less influenced by a "What is Popular" market. Many of the American metal bands don't even tour extensively in the Americas. The American market is tough, and driven by what is perceived as popular. It is hard for Metal bands to make it in the American "MTV" mentality driven market.

Also I can't fail to mention that the Fathers of metal all come from Europe. Metal is just a European thing that America has not managed to emulate. This does not mean there are not good North American metal bands, it just means there are MORE European bands of greatness. Even the American band members themselves will say that the Metal traditions of Europe are more supportive of their style.

In all fairness, I will say the trends are changing. The metal scene is growing larger in America, thanks in part to the internet making the music choices more infinite. Metal bands are coming from underground to mainstream....and the European bands are reaching the American shores

:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I will also add that mainstream European musical taste is different than the US...they have kept hard rock and metal alive and well and in the forefront. In the US hip-hop and pop seem to be the most popular music with the youth of today.

When it comes to "Alternative or Indie" bands the US has the lead in that category...but I don't like the nomenclature they are rock bands plain and simple.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Who knows?

Why isn't Canada a part of the US?

There are unanswered questions in every corner of the world.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Also I can't fail to mention that the Fathers of metal all come from Europe. Metal is just a European thing that America has not managed to emulate. This does not mean there are not good North American metal bands, it just means there are MORE European bands of greatness. Even the American band members themselves will say that the Metal traditions of Europe are more supportive of their style.

Exactly the same thing with progressive rock. Well said though, I think your explanation is pretty much what I was going to say. :grinthumb
One thing I can add is Americans have not experienced what Europeans (especially in Britain) have - social and political background.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
Euro bands typically are more original, more creative, have better musicianship, are deeper and better lyricist, heavier and more no nonsense, and just a better over all quality and feel. Just compare for some examples of say zeppelin, sabbath, maiden, and motorhead compared to aerosmith, kiss, van halen, and metallica. To quote iced earth the writing is on the wall. The europeans have imho dominated rock for years whether it be heavy rock or "metal".

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.