Why Is European Metal Better Than American?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you consider the influence Metallica has had on other bands you can't blame people for really rating them that highly. Its not even about the thrash side of it, the Black album was a pivotal point for them and heavy metal whether you like the album or not.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's why I said "in general". Sure there will be a great musician here and there in any genre but again generally speaking euro bands were better than american thrash for the my aforementioned reasons imho. And I don't care if thrash was the most popular thing or the most underground because that is another issue and besides the point. Being more popular doesn't make you better and I agree but not being popular doesn't make you better or special either.
I agree with your last point about the whole underground v mainstream thing. Being popular or underground does not automatically make someone worse or better. But regardless of genre, talent is talent and thrash metal like it or not has a lot of it. Its why I don't agree with the odd great musician here or there part as I think there are a lot of great musicians in all rock/metal sub genres.

mrJim

Reaction score
higher demand, higher supply.

both are going to stimulate more attention, more creativy and more volume which obviously leads to the likelyhood of more good music and sometimes better music produced.

or maybe these are better: European drinking water is cleaner or they eat more fruit than americans.

Georgefrommiami

Bringing rock to Miami
Reaction score
I will also add that mainstream European musical taste is different than the US...they have kept hard rock and metal alive and well and in the forefront. In the US hip-hop and pop seem to be the most popular music with the youth of today.

When it comes to "Alternative or Indie" bands the US has the lead in that category...but I don't like the nomenclature they are rock bands plain and simple.

Most popular, yes. But that doesn't mean squat. I'd hate to be one of them kids you see on youtube, but I am 12 years old and just yesterday got kicked out of Church for wearing my Overkill Feel the Fire shirt. I'm not trying to be special or anything, but try getting put down 24/7 for your music taste.

And the U.S has great bands like KISS, Aerosmith, Metallica, Megadeth, Van Halen, Alice Cooper, Anthrax, Bon Jovi, Cinderella,

and the one and only = OVERKILL

Khor1255

Reaction score
I posted a poll on this topic earlier and Europe (as of now) has a 14 to 5 lead. Don't know who the 5 are that choose America as they didn't own up to it. So why are European Metal bands for the most part better (as the poll results say)?
Birmingham
Germany

I think that should answer it.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Throwing Finland, Sweden, Norway in there as well.

MMM

Reaction score
I'm surprised by the ignorance and distortion of facts by the members of this forum. If someone knows nothing about American metal scene except few bands or just don't like the USA, it's better to abstain from posting.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I'm surprised by the ignorance and distortion of facts by the members of this forum. If someone knows nothing about American metal scene except few bands or just don't like the USA, it's better to abstain from posting.

Nice introduction :gig :gig :gig

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Silence is golden.

Oh, and welcome to CRF!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Staff online

Members online