Why Is European Metal Better Than American?

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Aerosmith, Kiss and Van Halen aren't really metal though...haha Don't really think many of you have heard that many American metal bands ...just saying :p

ANTHEM

Reaction score
^ That's why I included both heavy rock and "metal" whatever that may be. Ok, look at the so called end all be all of american " metal" like thrash in general, they just didn't have imo the quality, musicianship, and feel of the euro bands. Then let's look at the l.a. scene who might have turned out a few decent bands with a decent album or two a piece but for the most part turned out to be a lot of fluff. What ever you want to call it hard rock, heavy rock, or metal, europe rules in it.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
^ That's why I included both heavy rock and "metal" whatever that may be. Ok, look at the so called end all be all of american " metal" like thrash in general, they just didn't have imo the quality, musicianship, and feel of the euro bands. Then let's look at the l.a. scene who might have turned out a few decent bands with a decent album or two a piece but for the most part turned out to be a lot of fluff. What ever you want to call it hard rock, heavy rock, or metal, europe rules in it.

I disagree, bands like Testament and Megadeth actually have part time progressive jazz players in their ranks...to say nothing of a slew of other bands w/ top notch musicianship. The LA scene I can definitely do w/o but there is no end of the American Metal scene.. it goes on today..if underground...but popularity never means much to me one way or the other.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I disagree, bands like Testament and Megadeth actually have part time progressive jazz players in their ranks...to say nothing of a slew of other bands w/ top notch musicianship. The LA scene I can definitely do w/o but there is no end of the American Metal scene.. it goes on today..if underground...but popularity never means much to me one way or the other.

Not to mention Megadeth had Gar Samuelson who had a jazz background. And as for thrash not having quality in their ranks I cannot possibly agree with that. It may not be to everyone's taste but it doesn't mean the musicianship or talent wasn't there.

As for why European Metal is better, it isn't necessarily but it is a more diverse range which is an immediate advantage to me.

Recky

Reaction score
Sheer quantity and variety of metal bands from Europe is one reason I think they have put out more high quality metal music than the US.
Myself, I like heavy/power/symphonic/progressive metal, and Europe has tons of good bands in those genres.

yeh...I'm in the same part of the mosh pit as Grendel...the Euros have a vastly more varied scene than the states (to the best of my knowledge anywhoo)...

Reaction score
So in other words Metallica is the "best" American Metal band, but Europe has some Metal bands that are better?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the European metal bands had a head start over the American metal bands. The American bands didn't really begin surfacing until the late 1980's to early 1990's, and was pushed underground, somewhat, by the ever popular Grunge & Alternative scenes. The American bands that seemed to proliferate during this time were the big 4 of Thrash (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax), who brought us speed and double thumps. Even Testament, whom I consider to be a better band than any of the big 4, lost what popularity & momentum they had in the early 90's.

I, myself, don't consider those bands all that fantastic. I am not real big on Thrash & Speed. I do, however, like a lot of Metallica's stuff and I do like some of Testament's stuff.

If you are big into the thrash scene, then yes, America has good bands. Thrash was born in America.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
That's why I said "in general". Sure there will be a great musician here and there in any genre but again generally speaking euro bands were better than american thrash for the my aforementioned reasons imho. And I don't care if thrash was the most popular thing or the most underground because that is another issue and besides the point. Being more popular doesn't make you better and I agree but not being popular doesn't make you better or special either.

Last edited:

ANTHEM

Reaction score
So in other words Metallica is the "best" American Metal band, but Europe has some Metal bands that are better?
If metallica is the best america has to offer then the question of who has better bands shouldn't even be asked because it would then be self evident that america can't compete.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Aerosmith, Kiss and Van Halen aren't really metal though...haha Don't really think many of you have heard that many American metal bands ...just saying :p

I've heard enough Nu-metal :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online