• Tama.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Yamaha.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ragged Glory

Banned
Reaction score
As a side note, what kind(s) of kit(s) do you guys have/use? In other words, what are the sizes for each shell/drum? 12" Snare? 10"-14" Toms? 16" Floor Tom? 20" Bass? 4, 5 or 6 piece? What ya got?:grinthumb

Abraxas

Reaction score
I have a Gretsch catalina ash kit: 22" bass, 14" snare, 8" tom, 10" tom, 12" tom and a 14" floor tom.

Ragged Glory

Banned
Reaction score
^ I used to have an incredible Tama 12" Maple Snare with a beautiful finish & die-cast Gold rims. Atleast I believe it was die-cast, but the main thing was its size, sound & overall beauty, not to mention the classy Gold rims. It was the best sounding Snare that I've ever heard or played even up to now. I truly loved it & got a lot of pleasure out of it. The main reason(s) I (unfortunately) traded it in were a few...

1. Neighbors ALWAYS complain about sound & I wanted to focus on an Electronic kit.

2. I had an Electronic kit ahead of time so I wouldn't have to wait after selling/trading my Snare & (close to) the rest of my kit.

3. My Double-Bass pedal was getting old & showing some age so I wanted to focus on getting a new one.

4. I chose to purchase a new single pedal over a Double-Bass pedal in order to show off & develop my newer, more complex skills instead of "taking the (previously) easy way out."

5. My new pedal, therefore, pretty much cost me nothing.:grinthumb

By the way, I'm not much into 14" snares even though I used to have/play a few of them back then. I quickly purchased a 12" stand (probably around the same time that I purchased my Custom snare) & I'm not totally sure, but I may have also tossed that old "beginner's" type 14" snare stand that I used to (have to) use. I just love the sound & feel of a 12" snare a whole lot more. To each his own though. That's one thing that's also pretty cool with my Electronic set. My Electronic set can/will provide you with all sorts of sounds & sizes including both 12" & 14" type snares. Sometimes I even use the snare sounds for my Bass!:grinthumb

Abraxas

Reaction score
I've been thinking about either selling or trading my kit cos my kit is (almost) bigger than my room and I live in an apartment. Plus I thought I was going to be in a band with a friend of mine but that apparently isn't going to happen. I dunno. Maybe I'll be like Trent Reznor and play everything myself.

Ragged Glory

Banned
Reaction score
^ There's many, many sounds on my Electronic kit. If you want variety or at least more than just basic sounds/Drums, then I'd definitely tell you to go for an Electronic kit. It might start off a little pricey but it's more than worth it over time. Should you form a band, volume wouldn't be a problem either if you needed/wanted it on stage or while practicing. Get the right speakers & you're all set.:cheers2

Khor1255

Reaction score
I started out with a hand me down 'hybrid' kit with 2 mismatched (22 & 20 inch) bass drums with speed king pedals, two 12 inch and 2 13 inch ride toms tuned so they sounded a step down from one another, 2 16 inch floor toms (same tuning scheme) various junk cymbals stands and hardware an LP cowbell and later two snare drums modified to sound like timbales.
My first real cymbal as a Zidjian Amir crash ride and my first good piece of hardware was a Viking hi hat stand that improved my playing about 75% from the days I couldn't trust the hat not to malfunction so avoided doing tricks on it like the plague.

Years later I bought myself a fantastic set of Tam Superstars with extra deep shells. By this time my hand me down collection of cymbals wasn't too shabby because a few of my friends were semi pro musicians and used to give me the stuff they didn't want anymore. Once I got a good set my playing improved exponentially. There is a lot to be said for hardware that doesn't malfunction and drums that don't shake around and walk away from you. Sadly, they two years I spent with my drums in the closet almost drove me crazy so I sold them because I knew I was going to spend the next few years in apartments and didn't want the torture.

When I lived with a guy who was in a band we chipped in for a so so set of composite Tamas (Rockstars maybe?) but return to apartments meant he had better use of them than I. I rented a house then quickly got first a crappy no name set then a set of Mapex Mars series drums I still own (although they are in Baltimore and I now live in California.

Ragged Glory

Banned
Reaction score
^ Was Tama your vote or did you vote for anything yet? Either way, I remember starting out a while back with a cheap 3 legged hi-hat stand & it really gets/got in the way if you're playing/starting Double-Bass Drumming which I was at the time. Even if you aren't playing Double-Bass Drumming, the 3 legged hi-hat stands are/were still annoying & shaky (which you'd think a 2 legged one would be, but my 2 legged one was not). That wonderful 2 legged stand was also from Tama & I hadn't played anything that felt better & lasted longer. When you think about it, pretty much everything I used was from Tama except maybe the Cymbals, Drumheads (after replacing the ones that originally came with the Drum/kit) & my Vic Firth sticks. I also have a pair of Ahead sticks too but I still think I prefer my Vic Firth sticks over Ahead even though many wood sticks will be & have been replaced over time.

Last edited:

Khor1255

Reaction score
When I buy another set it will most likely be Tama. So I guess that's my vote.

Ragged Glory

Banned
Reaction score
When I was starting out I considered getting Pearl along with Tama. As time progressed, I decided that Tama was easily the better choice over Pearl in my opinion.:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Staff online