what will the 2010's bring musically?

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Eccentric Man:

...if you're being passive with your listening and waiting for the tv or radio to spoon feed you the next great band then you deserve the filth and garbage being shoveled down your throats.

Like bloody hell I do! There was a time not so long ago when I could turn on contemporary hit radio and it wasn't pure unadulterated crap. Why then are you saying I should lower my expectations these days? In the name of progress? Well guess what?! I'm not one to meekly acquiesce in whatever is foisted upon me.

:wtf:

Secondly, keep in mind that not everybody happily "surfs" for music to find the hidden gems. I expect to find them at record shops if not on the radio. I prefer buying hard copies of my music, quite simply because nothing beats the fidelity of vinyl and CDs come in second. Thankfully there are still plenty of record shops in Toronto but I take it that in other areas of the country independent record shops are fast closing due to the explosion of downloading.

i don't believe there's anyone out there who never listened to some clearly manufactured bubblegum crap at some point in their past.

Yeah? Well I'll take the Archies over Britney Spears, Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Lopez and the rest of them every time.

:drums:

Last edited:

eccentric man

Reaction score
Eccentric Man:

Like bloody hell I do! There was a time not so long ago when I could turn on contemporary hit radio and it wasn't pure unadulterated crap. Why then are you saying I should lower my expectations these days? In the name of progress? Well guess what? I'm not one to meekly acquiesce in whatever is foisted upon me.

Secondly, keep in mind that not everybody happily "surfs" for music to find the "hidden" gems. I expect to find them at record shops if not on the radio. I prefer buying hard copies of my music, quite simply because nothing beats the fidelity of vinyl and CDs come in second.Thankfully there are still plenty of record shops in Toronto but I take it that in other areas of the country independent record shops are fast closing due to the explosion of downloading.

:wtf:

same here. it was called 'back when i was a teenager and therefore the target market of the mainstream'. there's still great stuff but if you're taste has grown past your adolescence then your ability to sample new music should increase as well.

you also don't need to download anything. there's plenty of online radio and other resources that allow you to sample new music prior to purchasing. video games are HUGE for exposure at this point as well. not just the rhythm games like Guitar Hero or Rockband but all the sports games that feature 'soundtracks' of random songs like so many modern movies.

your also right about record shops closing down as well. or at least the ones that sucked. catering to a niche market is not the key to financial sustainability. on one hand it's unfortunate for the independent retailers, on the other the major retailers have started actually started carrying a more varied selection. i HATE going to HMV first but they've always had the stuff i wanted weeks before (if ever) the indie retailer and usually for a much lower price.

@LG - Starcraft is awesome haha i have the soundtrack ripped on my pc too :D

what i really don't get in discussions like this one is why so many people expect something new to sound like something old.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
We all think we have it right in music! One persons masterpiece is pretentious garbage to another! One persons underground is anothers mainstream crap! And so forth and so forth! In the 2010s we are still going to have something for everybody who looks hard enough. My problem is not finding something but rather finding way to much! :D

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
eccentric man said:
your also right about record shops closing down as well.

My favourite independent music shop is Soundscapes on College Street in Toronto. It has a good selection of everything I'm likely to buy from the blues to soul to British Invasion to garage rock to psychedelic to punk to indie. And typically the prices beat those at HMV and Sunrise Records. Here's the Soundscapes website:

Soundscapes website

My favourite used record shop is the Village Idiot in the Wortley Road Village neighbourhood of London, Ontario. The prices are certainly not the lowest I've seen but the proprietor is knowledgeable, the selection is awesome and the vinyl he stocks is in truly excellent condition. He also pays top prices for vintage vinyl brought in for sale or trade.

:****:

Last edited:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
BLACK_SQUARE.jpg

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Eccentric Man:

what i really don't get in discussions like this one is why so many people expect something new to sound like something old.

So then you're in effect admitting that today's music styles may indeed be dramatically different than those of previous decades.

i think another reason so many people think it was better back in the day is because they're glossing over the crap they used to listen to.... is it really the music that one liked better? or being 17?

In which case you also have to accept the possibility that there could be legitimate reasons why many music enthusiasts prefer the music of previous decades. It's not just the case that they've grown old and are clinging to the music of their youth.

:drums:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TerrieThom

Members online