what will the 2010's bring musically?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I do have one Britney song on a compilation album, but I usually skip over it.

I am like Bry, I find all kinds of interesting music all the time, from many genres. Some I don't like at all, but that leaves plenty of others I do enjoy. Even now I find a new piece of Classical music written 100's of years ago, and I have never lost the excitement of opening the package to check out the new toy or gift.

Eberg, I don't know what to say you present your own position very well, but I guess I am just more open to new music, and don't mind that most of it has been done before, I have had that discussion many times before in another place.

rtbuck

Reaction score
I think actually I prefer this decade to the 90's(I'm not knocking the 90's by saying that, it's just for me this last decade was better musically). Sure you could look at the charts & think of all the Pop stuff that is crap out there but hell that happens in every decade. For me This decade was great it brought the NY Dolls back which was a big plus in my book & brought me bands like the Charms,Dresden Dolls,Chesterfield Kings,Damone, Giant Drag,the Last Vegas,Charm City Devils,Black Tide,Ryan McGarvey(if you like Blues/Rock check him out he's only about 22 & is unbelievable),Backdoor Slam(an even younger Blues band)& Juliette Lewis. I mentioned the NY Dolls but I'll also say Alice Cooper delivered a bunch of great stuff this decade.Joan Jett had a kick ass album with Sinner as did Kim Mitchell with probably my favorite studio album ever from him with 'Ain't Life Amazing'.Lita Ford just came out with a well promoted new album(her first since '93). Kiss released Sonic Boom which I think is there best since 'Creatures of the Night'.
I think the upcoming decade could be pretty cool. There are a lot of good young bands out there & this is should be exciting for the older classic bands as there time clock is running out so I think you'll be seeing a lot of cool stuff come out as these bands are getting ready to punch out.I'm sure these classic bands will be releasing some last effort new studio albums as well as some vintage stuff such as live concert & unreleased gems
I'm sure the charts will be just like any other decade.If you think about it in the 70's Judas Priest,Scorpions,BOC,Sabbath,Angel,AC/DC...etc were all releasing Kick Ass stuff but yet the songs in the charts were tunes like "Afternoon Delight","Wildfire","Love Will Keep Us Together","You Don't Have to be a Star", "Don't Give Up on us Baby",& "Run Joey Run"

Reaction score
LG, I try to be open, but my mind keeps getting shut, but I guess that is more of a personal mindset thing as you said, and even if its been done before I don;t mind as long as they aren't a total rip off, they're doing their own thing, if someone wants to play some good ole blues rock then great, but if theyre going to rip off their sounds from stevie ray vaughn *cough cough*john mayer*cough**cough* then I have a problem, I'd much rather listen to the stevie ray... he already did it, so why does John Mayer need to do it again?
thats at least my stand on it, I'm open to trying new genres and artists, but for me to listen to them it has to be original and something I can't listen to by putting on an album I already havve

and RTbuck, I don't mind the pop you mentioned, afternoon delight, Don't give up on us, I actually like some of that kinda stuff, I'll even admit I'm a sucker for catchy stuff... I even like a Captain and Tenile song.... And the 90s I love the fun of the pop punk, there was a big jam band/blues sort of revival with bands like gov't mule, Blues Traveler, Blind Melon, tyheres even a few hip hop songs that I'll listen to (that catchyness thing again hehe) then the grunge thing with the nineties is sort of cool, but whatever, I just haven't found a damn thing I liked

oh, and that Backdoor Slam band you mentioned, I caught the end of their show over the summer and it was decent, they and I listened to some of their recordings, certain things didn't really sound profesional I guess, they were allright though, it sounded kind of like a couple guys got together to jam in the garage, it was sort of like they didn't know their songs copmletely
it was allright, not the worst thing I ever heard, I guess i could like them, maybe a few albums down the line

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Lord Grendel:

...the late 60's early 70's which was the most amazing period of creativity in rock music to me anyway.

I agree.

Eberg:

but what do you think will be the fad?

I persoanlly am too scared to want to find out....

Yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

:eek:

Reaction score
:heheh:
now you've got me scared foxhound

rtbuck

Reaction score
Eberg, I liked those catchy pop tunes too!

I did like the 90's especially the Pop Punk stuff it's just that I really got into those bands I listed from this decade & always look forward to their next release where that didn't happen as much in the 90's for me. Then again the 90's I only had Web TV until I got a computer in 1999 & the internet in this decade has really made it so easy to discover & follow newer bands. As far as Backdoor Slam I know they have some new members since there debut album but I just found it wild that they were all under 20 for that first album. They definitely have time to grow

Reaction score
Eberg, I liked those catchy pop tunes too!

I did like the 90's especially the Pop Punk stuff it's just that I really got into those bands I listed from this decade & always look forward to their next release where that didn't happen as much in the 90's for me. Then again the 90's I only had Web TV until I got a computer in 1999 & the internet in this decade has really made it so easy to discover & follow newer bands. As far as Backdoor Slam I know they have some new members since there debut album but I just found it wild that they were all under 20 for that first album. They definitely have time to grow

90s had its fair share of one hit wonders as well, but yeah, certain bands are harder to follow, I think a lot more broke up sooner than most bands would, expecially the grunge and heavier music, yeah, the internet has definately made it easy, almost too easy :heheh: it has killed a lot of the music community though, well local because theres no longer a place to go to find music, talk about music, CRF is like the record store would be, except everything's out of stock lol
I will have to follow backdoor slam a bit, and bands do seem to be starting younger than they used to which is why so much music is so sloppy I think, they haven't really refined their sound yet, but I will look for their album or more shows, maybe there is a bit of hope

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I do have one Britney song on a compilation album, but I usually skip over it.

I am like Bry, I find all kinds of interesting music all the time, from many genres. Some I don't like at all, but that leaves plenty of others I do enjoy. Even now I find a new piece of Classical music written 100's of years ago, and I have never lost the excitement of opening the package to check out the new toy or gift.

Eberg, I don't know what to say you present your own position very well, but I guess I am just more open to new music, and don't mind that most of it has been done before, I have had that discussion many times before in another place.

What he said, especially "don't mind that most of it has been done before".

I like Lady GaGa and The Killers, as well as Jet and Coldplay despite their reputation for "borrowing" ideas. To paraphrase Jim Dickinson on the Beastie Boys, rock and roll is theft, and it's not so much about whether or not one steals but why, how much and how well (i.e. from whom).

Snow Patrol is another one I like although not their last album so much.

Reaction score
What he said, especially "don't mind that most of it has been done before".

I like Lady GaGa and The Killers, as well as Jet and Coldplay despite their reputation for "borrowing" ideas. To paraphrase Jim Dickinson on the Beastie Boys, rock and roll is theft, and it's not so much about whether or not one steals but why, how much and how well (i.e. from whom).

Snow Patrol is another one I like although not their last album so much.

Jet sold out, Get Born is incredible, and stealing is one thing, but it should be building on the original idea, it didn't go anywhere, Cold Play didn't do anything new with the songs they stole, they just stole em and did nothing new, look what jet did to that ac/dc rock n roll sound, they did something new with it, look at the Black crowes they did the same thing, they took their influences and did something new with it, even with a cover song they did something new with it, thats how it progresses, even if it is stealing, which I realize it is, sort of :heheh:
and Killers I can respect, but I don't like them
Snow Patrol never really crossed my collection anywhere, I've heard a couple songs and they don't spark anything for me or anything like that so whatever haha, and this new pop is absolute shit... that is the only word, excuse my language on that one, I know its been cleaner on here, but that is the only word I can think of to describe it :lmao:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Eberg:

ok, I think I'm talking more about bands in the mainstream sort of, well mainstream to someone, not just some folks in a garage that have a local following or that play the local bar, I can find tons of great bands like that, but I'm talking ones that have a major record label and a decent following....

I'm with you. Sure there are going to be great bands toiling away in relative obscurity but the entertainers that achieve the mass market commercial success are the ones that set the musical styles and "determine" the direction music subsequently takes.

And the prognosis for the coming decade is bleak. Let me summarize the evidence in two quick points:

1. Beyonce Knowles was awarded the Best Female, Best Song, (Halo) and Best Video awards at the 2009 MTV Europe Music Awards held at the O2 World in Berlin, Germany earlier this month. In Beyonce's defence, Islamic critics are branding her upcoming show in Egypt an "insolent sex party" that threatens the country's "social peace and stability". I guess these fellows haven't bothered to read about Nefertiti or Cleopatra in their country's history books....

2. "This Is It", a movie about the career of a singing and dancing transvestite, topped U.S. box offices the week of its release in early October.

:mj::blast:

I rest my case.

:bdh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online