What are your parents into?

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
My Dad is the main reason I'm into classic rock now. His favourites include the Beatles, the Stones, the Doors, Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Eric Clapton, etc.

However, I've branched into areas of classic rock that he'd never ventured before, and got him to like the stuff. One such notable band that I introduced him to was the Allman Brothers Band, who he'd never even heard of (they're less notable out this way for whatever reason).

He does have a great love for the music of Frank Sinatra, though. Something which I've never shared.

My Mum just listens to anything. She currently lists her favourite band as Train, previously it was Matchbox Twenty.

Harkat

Reaction score
1. Do you share any similarities when it comes to musical taste?
2. What are some artists you have introduced your parents to, or that they have introduced to you (but both ended up actually liking)?
3. If your parents have passed on, what are some songs/artists that remind you of their time on earth?

1. I dont share anything with my parents. I know my father is into Rolling Stones/Bob Dylan sort of stuff, whilst my mother is more into pop/rock. My love of music started with 'Through The Fire And The Flames" and has since opened up to host a variety of bands.

2. Nothing.

3. Should they pass on....
Peaches ~ Presidents Of The USA, for my father
U.F.O ~ Sneaky Sound System, for my mother

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score
Both parents have passed away. Possibly now they dig the Grateful Dead?

My Dad liked anything with a good beat. Chuck Berry and CCR were his 2 favs. I used to take my little Magnavox portable on vacation to the beach in Florida and my Dad would always ask me to play CCR and he would go out on the balcony and dance for all the kids next door. They would cheer him on and he ate it up. A year before he passed I took him in his wheelchair to my cousins anniversary party and he danced in his wheelchair. I thought he was going to die right there. Scared the hell out of me because he had congestive heart failure.

My Mom really liked Aretha Franklin. She liked different 45's I had like "Mama Told Me Not To Come" by Three Dog Night, "Honky Cat" by Elton John, "Something" by The Beatles, and most Chuck Berry. Christmas songs were her favorite and she would play them on speakers outside so the neighborhood could hear them.

They both grew up with the Big Band sound and liked that.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
My mum is a big Pink Floyd fan, and because of this I'm constantly and successfully introducing her to a lot of the new prog that I find. My Dad however enjoys a lot of the funky 80's English bands and singers such as Madness, Gerry Rafferty, The Cure and both Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel to name a few!

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
My mother now 80 bless ,doesnt listen to music nowadays...but had a passion for early BEE GEES, then later on classic rock bands PINK FLOYD [ the album "the wall ] QUEEN etc...she would also like a good rock ballad and have an open mind musically :grinthumb

My father wasnt one for music.I was very surprised one day when he came back home with an album[ very rare]......THE STUD soundtrack full of disco rubbish :bonk:
He later emigrated to Australia......[ in shame of his vinyl collection :heheh:]
Probably the best album he had was by the artist DORY PREVIN.....sounds quite good now......or is it because Im getting old ?? :heheh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
2. What are some artists you have introduced your parents to, or that they have introduced to you (but both ended up actually liking)?

1. Not really. Both of my parents (as well as my brother) are very much into country music. Both do venture outside of it some though. My mother loves mindless modern pop like Kesha, Sean Kingston, and so on whereas my dad likes rooted blues guitarists like Clapton and SVR.

2. I've not talked to my dad in last year so nothing really and I keep trying to get my mom into things outside of country and pop but for the most part I've been unsuccessful. I have managed to peak her interest in Brandi Carlile however since she has some country flair.

Smoke The Sky

Reaction score

When i was child, my dad introduced me Deep Purple (huge fan), The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Jethro Tull etc. He listens 60's & 70's rock mostly. My mom loves Oueen. Beside that she's into soft music such as Demis Roussos.

Me introduced: Nightwish, Alice in Chains, Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi, Skid Row etc. Symphonic metal & 80's glam mostly.

3. If your parents have passed on, what are some songs/artists that remind you of their time on earth?

If they have passed on, everything would remind me of them...

But i guess
dad: Black Night (Deep Purple), mom: Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
My parents have been gone for several years, but what music I recall from my youth was pretty sparse and discouraging - what music there was was limited to stuff like the Ray Coniff Singers and such.

Though now that I think of it, I discovered fairly late in my dad's life that he had a real fondness for big band. Not surprising I guess, considering his era (born 1925). That led me to explore them a little bit, and found I liked it, too. In fact, I felt a bit cheated that never got to hear that sort of music at its best, since it can be so dynamic. The recordings from the time sounded so bad, and opportunities to hear big band music live these days is limited to say the least. At least my dad got to hear some of them first-hand a few times in his youth.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score

1 - Me and my dad like early Heart, Queen and The Beatles. My mum likes Doris Day and stuff. But ( 2) I introduced her to Cashman and West. My dad likes Wheels of Steel by Saxon, really he does. What my parents gave me music wise was giving me time to explore.

I know when my dad will pass away he wants to hear Carole King, something of the Tapestry album.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online