What are your parents into?

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Yes, you read that correctly. What are your parents into, musically?

Three base questions for this thread, the last being strictly optional/situational:

1. Do you share any similarities when it comes to musical taste?
2. What are some artists you have introduced your parents to, or that they have introduced to you (but both ended up actually liking)?
3. If your parents have passed on, what are some songs/artists that remind you of their time on earth?

Since I am still relatively young, both my parents are still alive. My mother is a born-again Christian so she's very heavily into Christian music. My dad, who knows his way around the guitar, is a rock n' roll addict to the core.

1. My mother and I share a little common ground: 60s girl groups, and obscure 70s songs. Though, with her, it has to be catchy, and not too heavy. Catchy and melodic, or reminiscent of her childhood. With my dad, we share a lot of common ground. Fast, heavy guitars, bass-heavy masterpieces, etc. He's the reason I'm able to love the Ronettes and KISS at the same time.

2. I'm always finding little ditties from the 60s to show my mother. Sometimes she remembers these things vaguely, and sometimes she's just totally mind-blowing and ends up spending an hour on Youtube just because of me. I've never directly influenced my dad, though, but something tells me he'd love to thumb through my LPs. On the other hand, my mother indirectly got me hooked on bands like the 1910 Fruitgum Co. as well as 80s ladies like Pat Benatar and the Go-Go's.

So tell us your stories.
Does the apple really not fall that far from the tree? ;D

rtbuck

Reaction score
Both of my parents are deceased but they were both heavy into big band stuff like Glen Miller & Tommy Dorsey. My mom also liked some early rock & roll stuff like Chuck Berry & Elvis. My Dad hated Rock & hated that I liked it but never tried to stop me from liking it. He was a big time Jock but still he bought me a component stereo & put up with Kiss. I could remember cranking out "Killer" by Alice Cooper & my Mom said "Ooh I like this song" & I said "You can't like this!!" but she really did

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
My dad got me and my brothers into all our original stuff. Floyd and Doors and Zep. There was a loooot of pushing for me to stay within that realm for ever. But I had to go out and find what other wonders were out there to enjoy... Some people listen to the same music forever, others keep getting into new things...

-- Zep, Floyd, Doors, Stones, Neil Young, Ten Years After, Jimi Hendrix, The Who...

2. What are some artists you have introduced your parents to, or that they have introduced to you (but both ended up actually liking)?

-- I got my dad into Tom Petty. And I think me & my brothers got him deeper into Led Zeppelin as I think he was only a moderate fan but we were supercrazy into them. My dad got us into all the bands I listed in question 1.

3. If your parents have passed on, what are some songs/artists that remind you of their time on earth?

I'd just pick my dad's favorite songs. Signs by Five Man Electrical Band, Wild Horses and Angie by The Stones, and Reflections of My Life by Marmalade.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Both of my parents have passed, my father almost 17 years ago. But I will share what I can:

1. My Mom: My mother was a hard core country fan. This is where I get my love for country music, she played it constantly. She loved Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, John Conlee, Johnny Paycheck, Charlie Pride, etc. She also had an intense love for the saxophone and violin and absolutly would shake her booty to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, which is most likely where I got my love for the orchestra. Afterall, we are talking about a woman who thought the orchestra on Johnny Carson was outstanding! When I was a teenager, she hated what I listened to (she would make me shut my bedroom door and use headphones) so we basically didn't share any music together.

2. My Dad: My dad hung out in bars, but he didn't have any particular music preferences as long as he had his 7 and 7 he was cool. I do know he liked disco music, but I think that is because he liked to watch the girls shake what their momma's gave them. He never once complained about the music I listened to.

Songs that remind me of them: Rose Colored Glasses by John Conlee reminds me of my mother. My dad is harder to pick a song to remember him by, honestly I dont really have anything that puts me in mind of him.

:heheh:

the_spore

God Emperor
Reaction score
My father is into bluegrass and gospel (two genres I despise with a passion). But he also likes Classic Rock. He got me into bands like Styx, Queen, Def Leppard, and Eagles. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have got into Classic Rock as early as I did. My mother is into genres such as Soul and R&B (both are genres I dig because of her)

I have never introduced my parents to any artists or anything, and if my parents ever passed away, I honestly have no idea what songs would remind me of them.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Mom: Sadly she used to have very cool taste ...I was raised on Chuck berry, Fats Domino, Motown , Nat King Cole, Folk {Peter Paul And Mary .Kingston Trio etc} Now she likes top 40 crap ..:puke:

Dad was Elvis ,Roy Orbison, Beach Boys, Ventures, Johnny Cash , he was getting into Billy Idol :wtf: lol and some Rolling Stones etc before he passed away...

fielding

Reaction score
-Yes, Me and my Dad like Rock music that sounds good like your typical AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, etc. We don't like annoying, screaming, or terrible singing or overdone instrument playing that's hard to listen to. We're not big hip-hop fans, rap fans, but my Dad likes Disco. That's were me and my Dad aren't similar, lol.

-I introduced Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and some other 90's bands to my Dad. He likes STP and Pearl Jam a lot now. When I was a baby drummer, the first thing my Dad put on the radio in da car was a "Highway to Hell" CD. Probably when I was introduced to Rock music in general and wanted to drum. I started listing to classic rock radio stations, then it just caught on to me. We both LOVE Rush. After hearing all of their 'radio-friendly' songs like "Freewill" and "Tom Sawyer", I searched in depth at all of their other stuff and it just blew me away. I was hooked on Rush ever since...

-I would say "Highway to Hell"-AC/DC(in a good way...lol). First rock band I was ever introduced to by my Dad, so that's the reason for that song...

Fever

Reaction score
My parents ,who are almost 70, are mainly into country and some classical.Country music like Alan Jackson,Martina McBride,George Strait, and Vince Gill.
But they both really like Paul McCartneyThe Moody Blues,ELO,Chicago and the Eagles.And I am sure there are some other 60s/70s bands that they like.My mom really likes Josh Groban's music.

One year for Christmas my dad and I both got the Eagles box set.And they have gone to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra twice though I think they like Mannheim Steamroller better.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
1. Yes. In fact, my musical taste can be directly attributed to my father's influence. Details follow.

2. Well, let's see, my dad has gotten me into the Rolling Stones (our mutual #1), Jimi Hendrix, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, the Clash, the New York Dolls, David Bowie, the Dead Boys, the Buzzcocks, Alice Cooper, Neil Young, Warren Zevon, and Tom Waits. I (re)introduced him to Bob Dylan, Iggy Pop, Love, MC5, Lou Reed, and Chuck Berry. So, our musical connection is really strong. I'm more for the classic rock, and he's more for the hardcore punk, though. My mom likes hip hop and modern rock, but she likes some of the stuff that I do.

3. Thankfully, both of my parents are still with us.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
My Mom passed away over 5 years ago...but she is the reason I got into music. Also because she had the whole range from classical to Steppenwolf and everything in between I credit her for my tastes covering almost every genre.

My Dad, his main contribution was buying a decent stereo for us in 1974, boy when I played BTO Not Fragile the first time I almost peed my pants, it was simply awesome...:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online