"US rock scene has never recovered from grunge"- Rob Zombie

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
No matter what goes on from now on in popular music,anything is just gonna basically an offshoot of some larger thing that's probably already fundamentally taken place..........

Khor1255

Reaction score
Alice In Chains could very well be classified under Metal, in my opinion.

What was real metal part 2? Thrash? :D

Oh man... that pope pic is... :roflmao:
Bands like Priest and Maiden. It's ok guys, the whole term got muddied beyond recognition by hairspray hermaphrodite bands being called metal by MTV and typical hipsters believing they were.

I don't really expect most people to get it since all that noise.

Thrash was one of the early metal sub genres. Now everyone seems to think only the sub genres are real metal. It's quite hilarious really.

metalife

Reaction score
I think metal is a very broad term, and many different genres of music have various sub-genres. Black Sabbath are metal, and the term didn't even exist back in the 70s.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bands like Priest and Maiden. It's ok guys, the whole term got muddied beyond recognition by hairspray hermaphrodite bands being called metal by MTV and typical hipsters believing they were.

I don't really expect most people to get it since all that noise.

Thrash was one of the early metal sub genres. Now everyone seems to think only the sub genres are real metal. It's quite hilarious really.

Who is this everyone you speak of?

Khor1255

Reaction score
Well, what bands do you consider metal if not any 'grunge' band ever?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No I meant what exactly do you mean by everyone only thinks the subgenres are metal? lol
Far as I know plenty of people know there are bands that fall under simply heavy metal and may not belong in one category.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I think metal is a very broad term, and many different genres of music have various sub-genres. Black Sabbath are metal, and the term didn't even exist back in the 70s.
Yes. And they are kind of the standard against which all others are measured. There are a lot of bands with metal songs but not all of them are metal bands.

Confusing?

Not really.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If a band plays metal songs they are a metal band. lol

Khor1255

Reaction score
No I meant what exactly do you mean by everyone only thinks the subgenres are metal? lol
Far as I know plenty of people know there are bands that fall under simply heavy metal and may not belong in one category.
Simple. I've seen people call Sabbath 'proto-metal' while going on and on about how Korn or Sepultura is who defines metal.

Is that more clear?

Death Metal is real metal

Screamo is real metal

Motley Crue is real metal

etc etc

The latter is really only a sub genre of cock rock pop so it really is hilarious.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Staff online

Members online