Tom Waits (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: The Official Tom Waits Thread

I remember the Fernwood Tonight episode VERY WELL!! :grinthumb

I don't listen to Tom very much...but a couple songs posted by Soot struck me as pretty relaxing. Martha and Lonely were pretty happening.

He is an aquired taste and needs more than a one shot listen.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Tom's "Mule Variations" has sounded particularly good to my ears today and this song in particular has stood out to me...

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Tom-Waits-Bone-Machine-1992-FLAC.jpg

The Tom Waits CD I own ^^

My favorite off the album

Hardnecker

Reaction score

How would you justify Tom Waits getting in the R&R Hall over bands like Rush, Journey, Kiss, Deep Purple etc? I honestly know nothing about the guy, never heard any of his music. Anyone?

TheHealer

Reaction score

I've gotten into Tom Waits music only in the past couple of years.

I understand his music is not everyone's cup of tea but I think he is a very talented songwriter.

I really love this song:

Soldier's Things

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

How would you justify Tom Waits getting in the R&R Hall over bands like Rush, Journey, Kiss, Deep Purple etc? I honestly know nothing about the guy, never heard any of his music. Anyone?

Well Tom got into the Rock Hall over Rush, Journey, Deep Purple, and KISS because....they weren't nominees. :bonk:

Now I'm not going to get on my Rock Hall soap box or anything about a number of great groups are getting snubbed when they should inducted (those previously mentioned being front runners for that). I'm just taking solace in the fact that Alice Cooper finally got in this year.

As for Tom's actual merit and the reasons for his induction? He's a highly original musician who tells very vivid stories through the looking glass of a smoke filled barroom, the promised land of the "down and out" if you will. Rooted heavily in jazz and folk and incorporating elements of countless other genres he creates a jarring and sideways musicscape that flows perfectly under whatever often humorous and/or dark lyrics he has written for that particular song. In short, Tom Waits in a one of a kind songwriter, an instantly recognizable singer, and in my opinion of of music's most gifted lyricists and storytellers.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

My mother was shuffling through my latest bundle of CD's and she goes "Who's Tom Wyatts? Would I like him?" and I responded to her question by playing "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" and asking how much she enjoyed his singing. She told me "That's horrible sounding?! Why would you buy that?!". :heheh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Even if someone doesn't like Tom Waits I think they could still admit that he is very very good at the usual things that he does.

merlemayhem

Reaction score

Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards are outtakes?? Some of his best songs ever are on it, if you haven't heard it check it out.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online