Thin Lizzy (Official Thread)

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score
Re: Thin Lizzy

That's what makes Thin Lizzy a "Classic" band, they have their own unique sound and a big reason is definitely Phil's aura.

no doubt..they invented the twein guitar attack.. but its more then that..
Phil was born to be a rockstar.. his book is fascinating..

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

no doubt..they invented the twein guitar attack.. but its more then that..
Phil was born to be a rockstar.. his book is fascinating..

Yes and no on the twin guitar attack. It seems that Lynyrd Skynyrd started using the twin guitar sound at almost exactly the same time as Thin Lizzy and they both started using it independently of each other. Neither one of them had probably heard of the other in 1973. I may be wrong, but Southern Rock bands weren't really played in the UK and Thin Lizzy wasn't a name in the US yet.

I don't know the reasons why Skynyrd started doing it, but Scott Gorham gave Thin Lizzy's reason as when they were a 3-piece with Downey, Lynott and Eric Bell, that Bell walked off stage during a live set and Downey and Lynott finished the set as a bass/drum combo. Phil vowed that it would never happen that way again and started looking for 2 guitar players that could play both rhythm and lead so if one walked off or quit or even got hurt, the other could finish the set and the band wouldn't lose that much of their sound. If you think about it, it worked against Phil somewhat. Once they started using a 2 guitar attack, they had to stick with it. Hence Snowy White and John Sykes taking over for Brian Robertson. And we know that Gorham was more than capable of handling all the guitar duties by his lonesome. But I'm glad they became wedded to the 2 guitar attack, their music was that much better for it!:grinthumb

Vic2010

Reaction score

This one managed to get on the radio when it was new and I was fortunate enough to hear it. It is basically my favorite track by these guys, Boys Are Back In Town notwithstanding. There's also this weird/cool video of them on the BBC with this OLD lady on the Oberheim keys.

I've seen it on Youtube. It's pretty wierd, but that is one kickass song. It's in my top-ten Lizzy favorites.

Lady Chance won't Dance! When you're down on your luck!

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Lizzy and Skynyrd were ace twin lead bands but lets not forget Wishbone Ash, Love this Lizzy track ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic2010

Reaction score

I've been getting reaquainted with a track titled "Dancing In The Moonlight" from Bad Reputation. Never really cared for that tune. I always thought of it as one of Phil's "throw aways." I'm diggin' it now though. After watching the concert DVDs and interviews I've come to really like the song. It's not a great, Thin Lizzy song but it's a pretty good Steely Dan song. Seriously, with the saxaphone and all it's got that vibe (I'm a Steely Dan fan, by the way so it's all good).

I think if I'm gonna rank the studio albums at this point the list would look like this:

Chinatown
Black Rose
Bad Reputation
Jailbreak
Renegade
Johnny The Fox
Remembering Pt. 1
Thunder & Lightning

:rock:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

It will take me a while to rank all their studio albums Vic, but I don't think anything will supplant "Jailbreak" on my list.:D

Vic2010

Reaction score

I'm streaming the album "Fighting" as I post. I've been familiar with some of the tracks on this album for many years but have never heard the deep cuts. Wow! Killer! I need to get this album. I'd like to stream "Nightlife" but Rhapsody doesn't have it.

:bow:

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score

awesome Vic and LG...

In Phil bio book, Dancing int he Moonlight was actually true, and Phils Uncle would wait up for him.. and Phil would be grounded..but his Uncle siad Phil was so nice he was hard to stay mad at, and Phil would soon be out too late again..

I love that Sax in that tune, I like how its used so subtle, to me it sorta remindede me of early Bruce Springsteen that E- Street vibe, and Bruce was a Phil , that makes sense as fr is self reflective wrting style, Phil being more of the cassanova, bad-*ss

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score

if I had rank albums

it would be loosely

Jailbreak
L and D
Black Rose
Bad Reputation
Johnny The Fox
Fighting
Chinatown