1981 Renegade
1983 Thunder and Lightning

My Album Collection

Official Website

Phil Lynott - Bass Guitar & Vocals

Brian Robertson - Guitar

Scott Gorham - Guitar

Brian Downey - Drums & Percussion

I have long considered this band to be one of the best hard rock/metal groups of their time, but they never get mentioned nearly as often as they deserve for some reason. Phil Lynott was the driving force in the band, his writing style borrows from Dylan and Springsteen dealing with the struggles of the common man. They never quite broke through, and when Punk music arrived on the scene they became just another "Old Rock Band", and they just faded into the background. Born in Ireland and of mixed parentage, Phil identified with the underdogs of society which is reflected in his songwriting. Sadly Phil died as a result of his heroin, cocaine and alcohol addiction at the age of 35 in 1986, another victim of the excesses and temptations of the lifestyle of a rock musician.

They were famous for their ferocious live performances, giving everything they had to their fans. The first album I bought was "Jailbreak", and I think it would be a great place to start with them. The whole variety of their music is captured on that recording, from their most famous hit..."The Boys Are Back In Town", to a country flavored song..."Cowboy Song"...to a smoking metal tune..."Emerald".

Cowboy Song.

Emerald.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Re: Thin Lizzy

Man.. I don't know why I side stepped these guys after Jailbreak and Bad Reputation.. I've read some good stuff by them..
Glad you brought them up LG..:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Thanks Thumper,,,they were such a hard working band I thought they needed some love.:D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I know who Thin Lizzy is, but never really gave them a spin. Seeing how LG has such a huge album collection, I may have to follow his lead and give them a listen.:cheers:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

I know who Thin Lizzy is, but never really gave them a spin. Seeing how LG has such a huge album collection, I may have to follow his lead and give them a listen.:cheers:

May I suggest one of my favorite songs by them Magic.. I know you like your rock a little calmer but.. This song just jams!! :grinthumb

Reaction score

I have Bad Reputation, Jailbreak, Live and Dangerous, and half of Chinatown(I never finished uploading the other half, I was trying to do it at school when I was supposed to be writing a paper and got caught lol)
I really don't know why I don't listen to Thin Lizzy more than I do, its great balls out rock n roll, but they also have a softer side that isn't slow or boring, its balls out, but softer:heheh:
my favorite album is Jailbreak, I like pretty much everything about it, I like the production on most of their albums a lot as well, such a dry seventies sound which I love

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I love that song too Flower, even though it received heavy airplay over the years...it marks a watershed moment in my teenage years...:heheh:

Plus it just kicks ass.:tup:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

May I suggest one of my favorite songs by them Magic.. I know you like your rock a little calmer but.. This song just jams!! :grinthumb

Great song! You're right it does jam. Hey I like some pretty hard stuff, depends on what it is though :D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I didn't realize Thin Lizzy did this song, you learn something everyday :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online