Thin Lizzy (Official Thread)

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score
Re: Thin Lizzy

Yeah I like the Thunder and Lightning album too, just a heavier direction probably moving with the market at the time. :grinthumb

Yep.. correct.. think Thunder and Lightening came out in 83, that was when Metal spead up.. the Judas, Sabbath, Thin Lizzy sound was changing to a higher tempo, and ever elbum had to have searing fast solos..Lizzy was forced to change a bit. Sadly, Phil was struggling with his issues, and knew he was going to pass.. Hence that final live album called LIVE LIFE..
just so sad..the man was THE ROCKER

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score

Yep.. correct.. think Thunder and Lightening came out in 83, that was when Metal spead up.. the Judas, Sabbath, Thin Lizzy sound was changing to a higher tempo, and ever elbum had to have searing fast solos..Lizzy was forced to change a bitand Phil took it up to full speed, the album is furious at times. Sadly, Phil was struggling with his issues, and knew he was going to pass.. Hence that final live album called LIVE LIFE..
just so sad..the man was THE ROCKER

Long live the King..

Vic2010

Reaction score

Honestly I don't like Thunder & Lightning. It just doesn't sound like Thin Lizzy. I know they had to adapt to the metal scene at the time but it just didn't seem natural for Lizzy. The contrast between T&L and Renegade is like night & day (imo). Some of the tightest harmony leads I've heard by Lizzy are on the 2 Snowy albums. Renegade had a modern sound but the guitars were still classic Lizzy (and the keyboards were mixed low, which is good, imo).

I think Iron Maiden did a hell of a job taking the classic Lizzy sound and kicking it up a notch.

Rocker440

Reaction score

^^^ Thunder and Lightning may not be one of TL best albums, but there are some fantastic songs on that album that I very much enjoy! Some albums might not have great songs from beginning to end, or may possibly be somewhat uneven at times, I believe there are usually more than one or two songs that are quite impressive and also may well be overlooked as well. Before I heard, and then bought Jailbreak there were mostly only two songs that I had heard of on FM radio and prior to hearing the entire album, but once I had heard the entire album I both like and enjoy other tracks in addition to The Boys Are Back, Cowboy Song and the title track.

I very much Thunder and Lightning, myself! Although not every song is fantastic, many are, imo! I would also say, as well as do believe that Phil may not been in the best of health at that time and I would think that it would be pretty difficult to both try to write songs and perform with as much conviction, appeal and enthusiasm prior to T and L. :cheers2

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score

I agree with you both.Vic and Rocker440..

to me Thunder and Lightening was TL saying " we can do Metal, harder, faster and better then anyone if we choose to".. there are some amazing songs on that Album. and I agree with Vic that Renegade was a diverse and quality Album

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score

I can't believe this thread went eleven pages without embedding THIS song: ;-)

MP edit: Removed dead video

This one managed to get on the radio when it was new and I was fortunate enough to hear it. It is basically my favorite track by these guys, Boys Are Back In Town notwithstanding. There's also this weird/cool video of them on the BBC with this OLD lady on the Oberheim keys.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^We were waiting for you to show up Dairenn.:grinthumb

Next on my list, "Fighting", I am blown away all over again playing my old TL albums. Digging out old treasure is just as satisfying as discovering new stuff.

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score

I can't believe this thread went eleven pages without embedding THIS song: ;-)

This one managed to get on the radio when it was new and I was fortunate enough to hear it. It is basically my favorite track by these guys, Boys Are Back In Town notwithstanding. There's also this weird/cool video of them on the BBC with this OLD lady on the Oberheim keys.

Right on my bro.. right on.. great one

Last edited by a moderator:

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score

^^We were waiting for you to show up Dairenn.:grinthumb

Next on my list, "Fighting", I am blown away all over again playing my old TL albums. Digging out old treasure is just as satisfying as discovering new stuff.

I agree... I dont know why it is.. but TL songs are so strong..and each member was so great that I can sometimes just listen to Downeys drumming and be mesmarized.. next time I will hear Scott...the next time Phils voice will blwo me away...next time his bass line...etc..next time the story of his life in the song.. the hopeless romantic cassanova tough guy...I have trouble finding anyone to compare Phil to

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That's what makes Thin Lizzy a "Classic" band, they have their own unique sound and a big reason is definitely Phil's aura.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online