The UK’s ten bestselling albums of all time - how many do you own?

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
From Yahoo News, the words are theirs and it is certainly in need of editing, but I posted in a hurry. I would assume the US chart to be almost completely different and there are some entries of which I am not proud. Queen and Abba are okay by me, but The Beatles behind them shows the fickle nature of the record buying public:

"The UK’s ten bestselling albums of all time - how many do you own?
The UK's best selling album of all time recently reached six million copies - placing it leagues ahead of the runner-up. Incredibly, most sales of the winning record are on vinyl, cassette tape and CD - with just 124,000 are downloads. Find out whether you own one of these spectacularly popular albums...

10. Queen's 'Greatest Hits II' is not their first album to make it onto the top ten. It was the band's second compilation album and was released just a month before lead singer Freddie Mercury died in 1991.

9. Michael Jackson's 'Bad' is his first appearance in the top ten. The 1987 record was his seventh album and released five years after the legendary 'Thriller'. It was produced by Quincy Jones.

8. Dire Strait's 'Brothers in Arms' has sold more than 30m units worldwide since its 1985 release. It is also one of the best selling albums in Australia.

7. Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' is the band's most commercially successful album. It was released in 1973 to critical success.

6. Despite being the only American artist to feature on the top ten, Michael Jackson still has two albums on the list. 'Thriller' was released in 1982 and remains the best selling record of all time worldwide - double that of the runner-up Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon'.

5. Oasis 'What's the Story Morning Glory' has sold 4.6m copies in the UK since its release in 1995. At the time the band's second album received lukewarm reviews - but it has since become one of the defining moments in the Brit Pop era. The record features classics such as 'Wonderwall' and 'Don't Look Back in Anger'.

4. Adele's second album '21' is the best selling album of the 21st century in the UK. The record, which was released in 2011, won Adele seven Grammys. It has sold 4.7m copies in the UK.

3. The Beatles 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' was released in 1967 after the band had grown weary of Beatlemania. It has sold 5.1m units and used to be the UK's second biggest selling album until it was overtaken by a certain Swedish foursome.

2. Abba's 'Gold - Greatest Hits' has shifted 5.1m units. The compilation album was released in 1992 - a decade after the Swedish pop group broke up.

1. Queen's 'Greatest Hits' has sold so many copies that a staggering one in four British households have a copy. It is the first record to reach 6m album sales in the UK. First released in 1981, there is no definitive track listing as it differs according to which country it was released in. For example, the first song on the British album is 'Bohemian Rhapsody' but the original U.S. and Canadian addition features 'Another One Bites The Dust' first."

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
The link: Yahoo News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

9a985e40-9315-11e3-b560-fdf0e374599d_queen4-110214.jpg

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
The next ten is bizarre:

11. The Immaculate Collection Madonna
12. Rumours Fleetwood Mac
13. Back to Black Amy Winehouse
14. Stars Simply Red East West
15. Come On Over Shania Twain
16. Back to Bedlam James Blunt
17. Urban Hymns The Verve
18. Legend Bob Marley & The Wailers
19. Bat Out of Hell Meat Loaf
20. Bridge Over Troubled Water Simon & Garfunkel

Shania Twain and The Verve above Simon and Garfunkel?!

393px-Michael_Jackson_1984.jpg

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
10. Queen's 'Greatest Hits II'

9. Michael Jackson's 'Bad'

7. Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon'

6. Michael Jackson 'Thriller'

5. Oasis 'What's the Story Morning Glory'

3. The Beatles 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'

2. Abba's 'Gold - Greatest Hits'

1. Queen's 'Greatest Hits'

I have all of those. Pretty much most of that list I guess. For Dire Straits I have a Best Of CD titled Sultans Of Swing.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Can you guess the position of the next Beatles' album (1 - that's the name of the album) in the chart? I can reassure you they are above The Spice Girls, just.

Haha that's why it's always funny to go by sales figures. It considers such a wide demographic! I personally know some people in my teenage years who knew and preferred more Spice Girls songs to Beatles ones!

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
^ Yes, well the Spice Girls were very popular and sold a lot of records, but most of their fans must be using the CDs for beer mats by now.

I haven't got the Dire Straits, Oasis and Adele albums, although I have a pretty good Mark Knopfler & DS compilation. I bought both Abba Golds for my mum, she loves them!

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
(c'mon, I HAD to take a lighthearted jab, didn't I?!) ;)

ok ok, seriously... of the Top 10, I own all but that Adele album, which I will likely NEVER own.

Of the list of 11 to 20... that's pretty sad. A couple of decent albums, but mostly crap.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online