The Cars (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Cars

Yeah it was an exciting time in music back in the day, all the old bands were being displaced by newcomers, many of whom had a chip on their shoulder. But some of the old dinosaurs survived and released some good music right till the end of the 80's.

Blondie, Talking Heads, The Cars, The Clash would be some of my favorite bands from that era of music.

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score

Yeah it was an exciting time in music back in the day, all the old bands were being displaced by newcomers, many of whom had a chip on their shoulder. But some of the old dinosaurs survived and released some good music right till the end of the 80's.

Blondie, Talking Heads, The Cars, The Clash would be some of my favorite bands from that era of music.

and the Ramones and the great Elvis Costello...

did You know that the Clash named the Lizzy Album above, calling Phil Lynott "Live and Dangerous"... and Phil performed with a band called the Greedies with members of Sex Pistols , and Jimmy Bain..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

No I didn't know that TLF,,,but it's nice to hear bands like the Clash respected Thin Lizzy and Phil Lynott.:grinthumb

gguerra

Reaction score

No offense intended TLF, but I always thought of them as exactly that..."New Wave", fits them like a glove.

IMO, I think the term "New Wave" was in the context of the times (late 70's) kind of an "out with the old and in with the new type of thing". Almost no one uses the term anymore since there is nothing "New" about it, lol. :)

They are listed on rateyourmusic.com as New Wave, Pop/Rock, Power Pop, Pop, Synth Pop..

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/the_cars

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score

IMO, I think the term "New Wave" was in the context of the times (late 70's) kind of an "out with the old and in with the new type of thing". Almost no one uses the term anymore since there is nothing "New" about it, lol. :)

They are listed on rateyourmusic.com as New Wave, Pop/Rock, Power Pop, Pop, Synth Pop..

Albums by The Cars - Rate Your Music

cool..and I love UFO!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^He might be the essence of Cool for you Lady, but if you are going to play a live concert you better get off your ass and put out some effort. They could have replaced him with a puppet and no one would have noticed. And it's not like a Supertramp concert, where you expect the music to be the main focus rather than extravagant stage presence, but the Cars material is geared to having a good time, simple light hearted pop/rock. That is the only concert I ever attended where almost everyone was bitterly disappointed afterward.

The Tubes were magnificent, they kicked major ass when they opened, and then the headliner with the full sound system and light show effects etc. paled by comparison.:hm:

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

I remember reading somewhere that there was a reason for their dead presence. Something along the lines of, they didn't really want to make a huge deal about it because they were just there to play their music.

I really don't remember, though. Been ages since I've been connected with a network of huge fans.

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score

anyone like Possum Dixon here?... Ric was involved with them

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiammeee

Members online