Singers Who Wouldn't Have Careers If....

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
What singers wouldn't have careers if all singing was judged in an American Idol/X Factor/etc format.

These sorts of shows know exactly what they are looking for in contestants, marketable, poppy singers, buuuuuuuuut what about every other singer? Who do you think would be laughed off the stage if their career hung in the hands of three judges and not the ears of the people.

The first that comes to mind for me is the Father of Punk....

iggy.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Iggy is very Charismatic, though :) And you are right, if he had to be judged in American Idol, he would have gotten the "gong".

You probably dont remember the Gong Show form the mid 70's, which was like American Idol in a way, and hosted by Chuck Barris......the show was hilarious!

John Denver......Simon would boot him off American Idol.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
billy_corgan.jpg

Definitely, Billy Corgan! "Calm down Billy! Let me finish!"

This is not a knock on him or him or American Idol which I like even if the eventually albums released aren't my cup of tea. I actually like seeing a still raw talent going through the motions. The difference is a rock artist has creative music talent to make their voices work even if they aren't a multi-octave phenomenon. They write around it and are better artist for it. An idol contestant is still talented and it's all about their instrument which later can be guided by talented writers. later down the line as they learn the craft they can become more independent like Kelly Clarkson and contribute to the artistic side of it.

Anyway, Billy would be booed off the show but I prefer his more human vocals to any perfect pop voice.

runtfan

Reaction score
Heh, heh...probably a pretty long list actually. Some of the more obvious ones IMO...

Bob Dylan
Mick Jagger
Peter Gabriel
Stevie Nicks
Gene Simmons
Mark Knopfler
Roger Waters
Eddie Vedder
Neil Young
Bon Scott
Brian Johnson

...for starters

Reaction score
I think a better question might be "Which rock singers would have been able to win American Idol?"
much shorter list I think:D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Iggy is very Charismatic, though :) And you are right, if he had to be judged in American Idol, he would have gotten the "gong".

You probably dont remember the Gong Show form the mid 70's, which was like American Idol in a way, and hosted by Chuck Barris......the show was hilarious!

John Denver......Simon would boot him off American Idol.

Charisma doesn't go all that far on American Idol. Personally I've yet to really see any of their contestants or winners be charismatic. Ok, so maybe they sound pretty and all but they can't put on a show to save their lives are are just SO boring to watch. The closest thing was that ridiculously, overly sexual performance that Adam Lambert put on. Sex =/= entertaining....Just saying.

And yes I do know of the Gong Show actually. Love before my time, but I do know of it. :D

Another I think would be Ozzy. I can see if now...

"UmOzzyOsbourneAnIsleBeSingin'ASongIRowCalled'CrazyTrain'."

And that is when Simon would go "I'm English and I didn't understand a word of what you just said. Get out."

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I think a better question might be "Which rock singers would have been able to win American Idol?"
I can give you that list right here

*cricketts* Bueller? Anyone? *cricketts*

And you are spot on too, btw. Personally, I don't believe that the vast majority of the people that vote for A.I. have the slightest idea what real talent is. The biggest problems with the show (and there are a lot of them) is introducing these people as ANYTHING other than vocalists. We do NOT need to know their background, where they come from, how hard they had it, how good they had it, what craptastic jobs they worked so hard at to save up enough money to buy an outfit that they could go down to the AI auditions and show off their "amazing" :rolleyes: talents to a former dancer/choreographer (Paula), a record producer you NEVER heard of prior to getting on this show (Randy) and one of the world's biggest a-holes who you ALSO never heard of before this show (Simon).

C'mon. Sure, they all have more of a clue about it than John and Jane Q Citizen, but if the votes are legit, then John and Jane Q are dumb as stumps.

So, the list (as topic is asking) of famous musicians/singers that never would have made it if American Idol was their only ticket to fame is VERY long indeed. Too many to list, but maybe I'll attempt it at another time.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Um....I think Freddie Mercury and Elton John might have stood a chance in the 70's....Maybe Steve Perry too.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Good point! Rock has as many spot on perfect vocalist as flawed ones.

Actually I think there are far more "flawed" singers in rock than those aren't.

But if I had to elect someone to represent rock against everyone else ever on those shows I'd probably nominate Elton. He's been a dominate pop force for almost his entire career. He'd make us proud. :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online