Scorpions way underrated ?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^...It's not a "Goofy" accent TC, Klaus is a German singing in English, and his voice is unique. Like Aero mentioned you can tell a Scorpions song from any era almost instantly, which I always respect.

Some foreign singers lose their accent completely when singing in Anglais which is also fine, I don't mind either style myself.

joe

Reaction score
The Scorps were somewhat underrated in the 70's and early 80's IMO. It wasn't until Love At First Sting and it's MTV hits that put the band in the upper echelon of hard rock. I prefer the 70's and early 80's albums up to Blackout. Love At First Sting was a bit too "MTVish" for my ears, more of a mainstream slick hard rock sound and the teenage ballads didn't work for me. Saw them live way back when with Iron Maiden and Girlschool. A great show.

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
@ Tomcat : I think its Klauses accent in his singing that sets him/the band apart from all of the other " rough " blues based singers of the 70's 80's. I have the utmost respect for the multitalented Steven Tyler but that style of all American smokey bar band swagger in his, and many other vocalists voice drives me mad. It sounds phony to me. I will admit dream on is amazing though. But the majority of American LA style of singing was a dime a dozen back in the 80's.Boooring. Klaus' accent actually gave him a bit af a classy flair to his voice. Listen to yellow raven , or walk in your park. Damn. I will admit its not totally fair because he was born with that " golden " voice but you do have to " work it " and he works it.

And about ballads. I think some of us dudes say were not into them because you don't want to be seen as weak. I think we all would be lying if we don't admit that you don't think of your girl/wife/ex whatever when you hear them....hell, i went and saw Schindlers list when it came out, then went home and listened to Wind of Change...pretty emotional moment there. I mean your favorite band (them being German ) singing about world peace and realizing how much things changed for the good at that point ( how ever fleeting it was ).

Ballads like Motley Crues home sweet home do not move me one iota. It sounds like a paint by the numbers 80's rock ballad. Like they said " lets wright an atypical ballad for this generation " . Some say the Scorps tried to wright another wind of change with Under the Same Sun...hell, i think it was better than WOC ! The only connection was that it was another ballad about peace. They have alot of epic ballads in the 70's that i would say are stepping into Zeppelins league. Flame away if you want but listen to them ! Love or hate em' they are way underrated !!

Last edited:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Personally, I think the Scorpions aren't underrated compared to some of their 1970's peers, but they ARE if you compare them to bands they were competing with during the 1980's.

Groups like Poison and Motley Crue receive a lot of acclaim. Yet most people here wouldn't say that either Poison or Crue have a better catalog top to bottom than the Scorps. I bet a lot of us here would agree on that.

Heck, a person could put together a good argument to state that the Scorpions have a better catalog than Def Leppard or Bon Jovi, both of whom also receive a lot of acclaim.

Not saying the Scorps ought to be lumped into a genre with some of those groups, however they were more or less competing against them for album sales and concert draws in the 80's, they were played on the same stations, occasionally ended up on tours together and all of them were "hot" during the same period(s) of time for several years.

The Scorpions are underrated compared to those guys.

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
^^^^ Yes ! Uli ! I am a bigger Jabs fan but Uli is an unreal shredder. And has taste, style, feel. He wrote the whole song. Dark lady is another good one !

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
Thought i would add a couple of recent videos. They are going out on top musically and performance wise. Love the intro with Klaus !

Some of their best work is on these last two albums. 70's era is great , but there is nothing wrong with being commercially viable while still retaining your stellar musicianship, performances and sending a positive message. ROCK ON SCORPS !

Last edited:

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
This performance is the Scorps on their game 100% in 96'. Other than the guy on the cassio sounding keyboard missing a few notes...Watch James look over like WTF ?

But, wow. Tight. Saw them on this tour with Alice Cooper.

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
S & L, I don't get what you mean by accusing the Scorpions of "trying to fool people" with Winds of Change. Gonna need some clarification there, if you don't mind.

I always liked the Scorpions and the Scorpions are one of those rare bands with a vocalist who is very recognizable. All I need to hear is one or two sentences of the lyrics from a Scorpions song, even if it is a new one I never heard before, and I immediately know it is the Scorpions. I love Klaus for that.

I noticed you didn't mention 2004's Unbreakable, unless I missed that in your paragraphs. I had that album in heavy rotation when I was still a radio dj. A good solid rock and roll album, one of my top picks for that year.

The clarification is that some bands should keep their political mouths shut when they IGNORE what's really happening out there or if you like it better, some bands should not simply jump onto the bandwagon just because the latest "political" fad asks them to do so.....hope it's CLEAR!!!!:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online