Scorpions way underrated ?

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
I was a huge Scorps fan in the 80's early 90's. I have always managed to catch their shows when they make it out my way...even in their lean times ( seen them 8 times). I kinda lost interest for a few years but now that they are wrapping it up, i have really got back into them.

When i reflect upon their WHOLE career i wonder why are they not more recognized and talked about ? I mean way way more recognized. Just the musical diversity and uber talent from 72-78 along with the amazing 3 : Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, and Blackout put them in legendary status...And they were just getting started ! They went on to do two more major hit albums Love at first sting ( 3 major hits on that one ) then Crazy World with Tease me Please me ( yes it charted) and Wind of Change witch was HUGE ! I think by 93 crazy world had sold over 7 million, not including the singles !

I know they have had weak points, Savage Amusement was a little too slick ( although alot of people are giving it praise these days...? ) face the heat 93' had some really good heavy stuff ie; Alien Nation, No pain No gain, Un holy alliance, one good ballad, under the same sun and a killer un numbered acoustic track cover of Elvis' Latest Flame. BUT...the cheesy lyrics on a couple of the other songs kind of tainted it.

Live Bites was a contract filler but it was a great live cd ! In trace, living for tomorrow, new live versions of classics. A cool guitar solo by Rudolf Schenker with keyboards : Concerto in V...

Pure instinct was good. It had fewer rockers but the ballads were TASTEFUL ! Where the river flows is great, You and i, tear jerkers but tasteful, very tasteful ones at that. Wild Child: a killer rocker , I wana be with you is about as close to No One like you they had got in years. Stone in my shoe....decent with upbeat lyrics. That cd was solid.

The greatest hits " deadly sting" was about the best greatest hits cd ever put out. All the best songs from the mercury era. I know the band didn't have anything to do with it because they were on Atlantic records at this point...but they made all the great songs that were on it:grinthumb.

Now some will point to 99's eye to eye as their worst. I wouldn't. At least they had the balls to do it and go full on with it. I think some of the bad songs on Face The heat ( ship of fools, nightmare avenue) were worse than anything on Eye 2 Eye. Mysterious is a decent track. To be #1 is cool ! Lyrics are hilarious and the solo is a total tasteful trip. Makes you laugh and appreciate the hell outta Jabs ! Mind like a tree is a very good song and Du bist so schmutzig is a riot ! The only Scorpions song that Klaus sings in his native language with James Kottak ( their MONSTER drummer ) filling in hilarious lines in the pre chorus. Its not a bad CD at all. Some of the ballads were a little schmaltzy but hey, they were doing a pop album and competing with boy bands at the time. One thing that can be said is, they had the balls to do it and every song sounds like they put 100% effort into it. So for there worst CD...its not that bad. Its interesting...and yes it still rocks in places.

The classical project Moment of Glory was pretty damn good. I would have said Metallica's was better but, the Berlin Philharmonic is uhhh...No symphony or conductor can touch them. Stellar. The fact that they agreed to do the project with the Scorps says A LOT ! Now the song choice was a little weird and having guest singers was on a couple of songs wasn't the best idea but....if you see the live version of this CD in Berlin....WOW ! UN FRIKIN REAL ! The talent of Matthias Jabs ( lead g ) and James Kottak (drums) with the symphony just buries Metallicas S&M right there.Way cleaner, tighter. Look it up on the tube. And for those that say they were ripping tallica off ? They had been asked to do a few songs with the Berlin Philharmonic several times BEFORE S&M was even thought of.

I could go on and on. Acoustica live was great. Gets millions of hits on the tube...Check out their cover of Dust in the wind or the acoustic version of catch your train. Again, GREAT stuff. Klaus voice on display here.

So they wrap it all up with a great underrated concept cd : Humanity hour 1. Check out Jabs Solo on Hour 1. :bow::bow::bow: Yes folks, he has surpassed Eddie, if not long ago. And the song/video for Humanity is, i think, the best song they have ever done. It is a bit of a downer lyric wise but hey, these aint happy times.

Then the final. Sting in the tail. Pure retro Scorps. Raised on rock, sting in the tail, rock zone, The best is yet to come. A great final CD. Went platinum + and was voted the best new classic rock CD of 2010.

Don't get me started on their live performances. Seen them 8 times. Only one bad time and thats Because the tacoma dome has crappy acoustics and they were delayed buy Great White.

When you tally up everything , 70's early 80's era ( 3 amazing guitarists ) top of their game 84-91 era , the " experimentation era" and the return to their roots while going out in style....I think anyone would be hard pressed to say they weren't the best hard rock band of their time.

Last edited:

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
They <re OVERRated by very far when you talk about crap like Wind of Change....who were they trying to fool with that crap??.......NOT me!!!!!

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
......oh, and Michael Schenker and Uli Roth with thier respective bands are way better:):)!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am not sure about underrated Hard Rock, I have always liked the Scorpions since I picked up "Taken By Force" when it was first released. Every band goes through creative peaks and valleys, or changes things a little for various reasons.

Despite the line-up changes and everything else I feel the Scorpions are definitely worthy of being in the "Pantheon" of the 50 best hard rock/metal bands of all time.

They are also Hugely responsible for 100's of other European bands emerging who were inspired by their success and followed in their footsteps for which I will be eternally grateful.

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
I don't see any bands following the footsteps of what the Scorps did in Wind of Change.....on the contrary!!:):)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is way too narrow of a parameter S&L and you have enough intelligence and musical knowledge to realize the Scorpions opened the door for 100's of German bands who went on to carve out a career themselves.

I would rate the Scorpions as the single most important hard rock band to come out of Germany for sure and maybe continental Europe as a whole.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
S & L, I don't get what you mean by accusing the Scorpions of "trying to fool people" with Winds of Change. Gonna need some clarification there, if you don't mind.

I always liked the Scorpions and the Scorpions are one of those rare bands with a vocalist who is very recognizable. All I need to hear is one or two sentences of the lyrics from a Scorpions song, even if it is a new one I never heard before, and I immediately know it is the Scorpions. I love Klaus for that.

I noticed you didn't mention 2004's Unbreakable, unless I missed that in your paragraphs. I had that album in heavy rotation when I was still a radio dj. A good solid rock and roll album, one of my top picks for that year.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Great band and they have certainly paid their dues over the years. Still hope they throw out some UK dates on the farewell tour.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I don't think the Scorpions were underrated. They held their own.

Personaly, I enjoy the Uli Roth years and Matthias Jabs years.

70's Scorpions to mid 80's were the best, imo.

After that, it was hit and miss, for me.

But, yeah, Scorpions are great - far from being underrated!

Great band!!

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I don't think the Scorpions were underrated. They held their own.

Personaly, I enjoy the Uli Roth years and Matthias Jabs years.

70's Scorpions to mid 80's were the best, imo.

After that, it was hit and miss, for me.

But, yeah, Scorpions are great - far from being underrated!

Great band!!

That's true.

For me, some of the contemporaries of The Scorpions include UFO, Nazareth and Uriah Heep. The Scorpions sell more albums nowadays (newly released ones) than any of those other bands. They had an album go gold (half a million sold) in the US during the 2000's (the title of which escapes me now).

I'm pretty confident in assuming Scorpions can sell more concert tickets for a 2011 tour than any of those three bands. Also among music fans and critics, the Scorpions are more popular than any of those other bands.

Hell, in my area we have two rock stations who STILL play new music from the Scorpions whenever they release their latest album, which doesn't happen with Uriah Heep, UFO or Nazareth. Their new albums vanish off the face of the earth as far as radio play is concerned. The Scorpions don't have that problem in my area, since radio still supports their new releases.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online