RIP Malcolm Young

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Wow, I am shocked to hear the sad news. It wasn't too long ago that it was reported that Malcolm was leaving the band due to health issues. I guess his condition at the time was under-reported (which is probably the case more often than not).

R.I.P.

I'll be playing my AC/DC "Best Of" cd today in your honour.

Even though Angus got most of the attention, Malcom added so much to the overall effect their music had.
Doesn't it seem like rhythm guitar players are often unfairly overlooked in favor of their lead counterparts?

Malcolm Young - Angus Young
Brad Whitford - Joe Perry
Derek St. Holmes - Ted Nugent
Blair Thornton - Randy Bachman
Izzy Stradlin - Slash

crappy concert pic -- AC/DC at the L.A. Sports Arena -- For Those About To Rock tour 1982
ac:dc.jpg

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
23621482_10155810820480883_5793313818358540326_n.png

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
In the early days, I remember thinking, 'Why isn't this band more highly rated?,' and fearing that they would disappear without a trace. Although live they seemed a bit raw and almost eccentric, their material was original, self-written and underpinned by strong musicians: Angus Young was a prodigy and Bon Scott a showman, while the rhythm section of Mark Evans and Phil Rudd gave them punch. Malcolm was the musical element that brought everything together, along with the knowing Vanda & Young production team. Let There Be Rock is one of the outstanding hard rock albums of the seventies for my money.

This was at a time when the UK and US found it difficult to accept bands that were not from the UK and US. Back in Black, of course, changed all that and they became a stadium band. Malcolm remained a constant and was still at the heart of the writing and the ever-classy rhythm section. Despite a strong resurrection with Black Ice, the news of Malcolm's retirement ushered in an era of too many significant lineup changes. His passing should bring home his importance to the group's output and hopefully draw a line in the sand. Thoughts go to his family regardless.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
In the early days, I remember thinking, 'Why isn't this band more highly rated?,' This was at a time when the UK and US found it difficult to accept bands that were not from the UK and US.

I would have to agree with that statement.

Here in the U.S., if you didn't own any records by AC/DC, Judas Priest, UFO or the Scorpions back in the mid-70's (or know someone who did), you'd never hear of them except what very little material was played on the radio -- and it was really only AC/DC who the DJs played the most. UFO wasn't really popular until the Lights Out album in 1977 and The Scorpions and Judas Priest went through the 70's in relative obscurity until 1979. But AC/DC always seemed to get airplay from the get-go with "It's a Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock n Roll)", "TNT", "Live Wire", "Down Payment Blues", "Dirty Deeds", "Problem Child", "Sin City", "What's Next To The Moon" and "Rock & Roll Singer". But when Highway To Hell was released in '79, that changed everything for them in mainstream rock. And things only got bigger for them when Back In Black came out the following year in 1980.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.