Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
He was sacked and then hired as a session musician for The Wall shows. His playing is outstanding and he was the only one to make money, which seemed like divine justice.

I'm pretty sure all this happened during Rick's "cocaine addiction" phase. Waters was angry at him for quite a few reasons. Architect will know for sure but I believe Wright was supposed to produce a PF record but was so screwed up on coke he didn't show up at the studio when he was supposed to and eventually Waters had enough.

I didn't realize he was hired as a session musician, I'd imagine he didn't travel to the shows in Roger's limo though.;)

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah as far as I know Rick was going through some addiction problems most likey attributed to a nasty divorce. Rick really hadn't been pulling his weight or contributing anything to the record.

Columbia records wanted Pink Floyd to release the album just before Christmas 1979. I think they were offered more money as an incentive to get it done. Roger wanted Rick to come to LA to work more on The Wall , but Rick was on holiday in Greece, I believe, and he refused setting up Rog to threaten him with "either you leave the band or The Wall will not be released as a Pink Floyd album."

Rick agreed to leave the band after the record was completed, but wanted to stay on to preform the live shows. Consequently he is the only one of the band to have made any money off of the live shows.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I think it's more the case that Waters was a megalomaniac. He also started to take over production and all the writing credits. I think if he could, he would've kicked out Gilmour and Mason. I'll give him credit for taking over the songwriting from Syd Barrett who wrote distinctive songs and introduced the experimental, improvisational guitar style. But, when Gilmour, Mason and Wright reconvened they showed that they were Pink Floyd and not Waters.

I would take Rick's Wet Dream (bad name I know) over any number of Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, etc. Gilmour's Gdansk concert (especially Echoes) with Rick is fantastic and almost brought a tear to my eye. Waters seemed over-delighted during Live 8; Gilmour and Mason were polite, whereas Wright appeared uncomfortable. It's tragically sad that Rick died while he was working on another solo album.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Yes, David's 2 video releases, Remember That Night and Live In Gdansk are highly reccommended. You can see that David and Rick had a special bond in the band as the "musicians". And he truly had a blast playing with David on his tour in 2006.

When Rick died in 2008 David made this speech for him at the Q music awards. For me, It's painful to watch as David nearly can't hold it together. But he truly shows love for his friend.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I wish I had been there.

What was the Q award architect?

= = = =

I found it:

Guitarist and solo star David Gilmour was honoured with the Outstanding Contribution title at the 2008 Q Awards with Russian Standard Vodka – then dedicated it to late Pink Floyd bandmate Rick Wright.

Collecting the award, Gilmour said of Wright – who died last month - “he deserves this just as much as I do”.

And to a standing ovation, Gilmour dedicated a toast to his friend and colleague who played keyboards in Floyd for many years.

Gilmour’s stunning performances have been gracing best-selling recordings for four decades, since joining Floyd in 1968 to fill in for Syd Barrett and taking an ever dominant role in the writing and direction as well as providing the band’s signature guitar sound.

He became leader of the reconstituted band in the 1980s after Roger Waters’ departure, presiding over two more studio albums, as well as releasing a number of solo albums.

Collecting the Outstanding Contribution to Music award – sponsored by Gibson Guitars – Gilmour said: “I’m going to dedicate this to my old friend and colleague Richard Wright who died a couple of weeks ago with whom I’ve worked for 40 odd years.

"There’s all sorts of music I won’t be able to play without him which is a source of great sadness for me," Gilmour said. "One of the last things he wanted to do was play a big outdoor festival such as Glastonbury which we were unable to do.

"Anyway, as I say he deserves this just as much as I do. You could say that he worked in the position of second fiddle to the pushier chaps at the front, but his work was vitally important to our entire career."

The last outstanding contribution award was won by Smokey Robinson in 2006.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm sure it's coming.

The thing I'm looking most forward to is Rog's release of a book his dear friend Nick Sedgwick wrote during the mid 1970's. It's supposed to be a scathing tell all of the interpersonal relationships of all the band members. He wrote what he saw and experienced and I think David Gilmour was the one who objected most strongly to its release. But now that Sedgewick has passed away, Roger is going to release it, warts and all.

Pink Floyd news :: Brain Damage - Nick Sedgwick passes away; Roger Waters to publish his Floyd manuscript

23372608.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Staff online

Members online