Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
A few days ago I bought the 180gram vinyl special edition of Wish You Were Here. If you ever lay your hands on a player and the vinyl, do it!! It sounds sooooooooo good.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a great one on vinyl. Really all Floyd sounds sooo much better in vinyl. Anything with subtle dynamic shifts always does.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This won't go down well with Floyd fans but having heard The Wall a few times I have to admit the album does nothing for me like a lot of their other works do, I have it low on my list in terms of where I would rank favourites. Dark Side is good but again that one I don't particularly care for as much as Meddle, Atom Heart, WYWH, Animals. Its not to say I don't like The Wall but when it comes to other albums I just don't care for it that much like most people do.

gigispeed1332

Reaction score
I consider myself a huge Pink Floyd fan and have been going through this forum, reading people's posts and opinions. It really is amazing to see the differing opinions and lists regarding Pink Floyd songs and albums.

Just going by sales, I would have assumed most people would have put Dark Side of the Moon or the Wall as their favorite album. I will post a list soon guys (as I am actually working on a top 100 album list with a few friends, which we are sharing in a few weeks).

I will say this, for my money, The Wall has always turned me off, there is something about the lyrics, the self-indulgence and I just didn't enjoy the lyrics as much. I typically find that I get bored with double albums as well, as their tends to be a few songs that may be forced (an exception to this would be London-Calling but that is for another day).

I am not saying The wall is a bad album, but it will probably not be me in my top 5.

I look forwarding to discussing Floyd with other Floyd Fans and again will post my top album list soon!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I consider myself a huge Pink Floyd fan and have been going through this forum, reading people's posts and opinions. It really is amazing to see the differing opinions and lists regarding Pink Floyd songs and albums.

Just going by sales, I would have assumed most people would have put Dark Side of the Moon or the Wall as their favorite album. I will post a list soon guys (as I am actually working on a top 100 album list with a few friends, which we are sharing in a few weeks).

I will say this, for my money, The Wall has always turned me off, there is something about the lyrics, the self-indulgence and I just didn't enjoy the lyrics as much. I typically find that I get bored with double albums as well, as their tends to be a few songs that may be forced (an exception to this would be London-Calling but that is for another day).

I am not saying The wall is a bad album, but it will probably not be me in my top 5.

I look forwarding to discussing Floyd with other Floyd Fans and again will post my top album list soon!
Firstly welcome to the forum. :)
Glad I am not the only one who feels a similar way about The Wall, its good but nothing to me thats fantastic. Dark Side may just squeeze into my top 5 but only just barely. I tend to prefer WYWH and Animals and some of their lesser appreciated works.

gigispeed1332

Reaction score
Nice to meet you Rift Raft! Well hear are my Pink Floyd Rankings as of today.

1) Wish You Were Here
2) Animals
3) Meddle
4) Dark Side of the Moon
5) Piper at The Gates of Dawn
6) Atom Heart Mother
7) The Wall
8) Saucerful of Secrets
9) Final Cut
10) Ummagumma

The others I do not feel comfortable in rating as I have not listened to them enough. All I can say is I did attempt to listen to More twice (years apart) and did not enjoy it either time.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Not a bad top 10 at all, mine would be a little different though.

I know Riff isn't a massive fan of The Wall, but I enjoy that record more now than when it came out...suppose it doesn't hurt that I bought the new Vinyl edition that was released a few months ago.

The Wall sounds at it's very best on vinyl, the CD is really lacking by comparison. Both DSOTM & WYWH the CD's are good.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Nice to meet you Rift Raft! Well hear are my Pink Floyd Rankings as of today.

1) Wish You Were Here
2) Animals
3) Meddle
4) Dark Side of the Moon
5) Piper at The Gates of Dawn
6) Atom Heart Mother
7) The Wall
8) Saucerful of Secrets
9) Final Cut
10) Ummagumma

The others I do not feel comfortable in rating as I have not listened to them enough. All I can say is I did attempt to listen to More twice (years apart) and did not enjoy it either time.

That's a nice top ten list. :grinthumb Especially with Atom Heart Mother, Saucerful of Secrets and Ummagumma being represented.

The Wall is not for everyone, just like the Final Cut, which I personally do not like at all.
Remember that More was a soundtrack album so theres lots of ambient soundscapes but also two of their major live concert staples from 1969-1970, Cymbaline and Green is The Colour.

gigispeed1332

Reaction score
There is something about wish you were here for me. You can just feel the emotion in Shine on You Crazy Diamond (which happens to be my favourite Pink Floyd song). I just love the positive flow of this album and the raw emotion of it. I can't imagine what the members of Pink Floyd felt like playing this album live in front of a sold out audience (while paying homage to one of their best friends).

And with Animals, I feel like Gilmour's guitar work in that album is at its finest and I really enjoy the cynical nature of the lyrics (funny how its almost a complete reversal in feeling from wish you were here).

Meddle is awesome, I enjoy that entire album with the two highlights being Echoes and One of These Days (I think a lot would agree there).

Dark side of the moon is an amazing concept album which flows superbly well. Maybe its the over radio play of songs like Time, Money & Brain Damage, I don't know. If you had asked me 3 years ago, this might have been my favorite Pink Floyd Album, but others have surpassed it as I have listened to them more. Of course I still love this album, I just prefer WYWH, Animals and Meddle.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fungusexodus

Members online

No members online now.