Register to remove these ads

Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by LG, Apr 21, 2009.

1. joker1961

joker1961 Mad Frog

Both are totally awesome shows

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Big Floyd Fanatic here!!
    I'm one of those poor souls who purchase multiple LP issues to find one with the best (IMO) sonics.
    Luckily I started this back when vinyl prices were a little more reasonable.
    Have all the studio albums on LP (well, A Nice Pair for the first two) and still find it hard to leave one behind in the used bins.
    :uh:

3. Slick Willie

I realize this is an old post, but I don't see any replies....so …..
    Liked it, yet took me three spins before it kinda' clicked with me.
    I find it to be the weakest of his output, I miss the dynamics of the recording that he is known for.
    Also found the "concept" to be the least interesting of his catalog, yes even behind KAOS with it's 80's drum machine sound.
    Perhaps if he had chosen a different producer....and realized that curse words lose their impact if used too much?
    Still, a must have for any PF/RW completest....it does have it's own charm.

Sharp Dressed Man likes this.
  4. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

I don't think that I've ever sat down and watched all of the Pompeii film from start to finish. It is usually one song here or one song there.

Good performance by PF, although after more than 45+ years, it still strikes me as odd that they did this as a concert, yet there's no one there other than them (and the film crew, of course).

Pink Floyd - Echoes (from the Pompeii footage)

Sharp Dressed Man likes this.
  5. gguerra

gguerra Senior Member

It's considered a documentary and actually played at theaters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd:_Live_at_Pompeii

Copy and paste from above page...

"Pink Floyd had already experimented with filming outside the context of a standard rock concert, including an hour-long performance in KQED TV studios in April 1970. Adrian Maben had become interested in combining art with Pink Floyd's music, and during 1971, he attempted to contact the band's manager, Steve O'Rourke, to discuss the possibilities of making a film to achieve this aim. After his original plan of mixing the band with assorted paintings had been rejected, Maben went on holiday to Naples in the early summer.
    During a visit to Pompeii, he lost his passport, and went back to the amphitheatre he had visited earlier in the day in order to find it. Walking around the deserted ruins, he thought the silence and natural ambient sounds present would make a good backdrop for the music. He also felt that filming the band without an audience would be a good reaction to earlier films such as Woodstock and Gimme Shelter, where the films paid equal attention to performers and spectators. One of Maben's contacts at the University of Naples, Professor Carputi who was a Pink Floyd fan, managed to persuade the local authorities to close the amphitheatre for six days that October for filming. Access was secured after payment of a "fairly steep" entrance fee"

6. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

While cruising through youtube clicking on random stuff, this came across my desktop again. The 'feels' that I get from listening to this song still get me. I could listen to Gilmore play a 20 minute rendition of the solo and it wouldn't bother me at all. I'd have a hard time finding a rock solo that I like more that the ending solo on this song.

7. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

Love listening to and playing this vid from YT.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (pts 1-9) - seemlessly played both tracks together. I have a question, does anyone know if Pink Floyd ever released the full 1-9 as a single track on any of their albums? If so, I'd love to know which one.

8. Slick Willie

I see we have some SACD's coming out in 2019 including a 5.1 layer of Animals.
    Also Water's Amused To Death on 45 rpm vinyl.....