Nightwish (Official Thread)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Re: Nightwish

Alright, I have ZERO Nightwish in my music catalog. If I was going to be just ONE CD, which one would you fans recommend?

I've listened to a number of songs on youtube and other music sites like that. I know a lot of fans liked the stuff with Tarja more than Annette, but I happen to like both.

someone recommend their best one or two cds for me! :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Alright, I have ZERO Nightwish in my music catalog. If I was going to be just ONE CD, which one would you fans recommend?

I've listened to a number of songs on youtube and other music sites like that. I know a lot of fans liked the stuff with Tarja more than Annette, but I happen to like both.

I think Once is a great album, if you want some earlier stuff go with Century Child and Oceanborn :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Removed dead video
Gotta love Tarja.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

I think Once is a great album, if you want some earlier stuff go with Century Child and Oceanborn :)

I'm with Riff on this one Lynch. Once is an incredible album. A majority of my favorite songs by them are on that album.

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score

I'd personally recommend Century Child to those of you looking for an album to get you into this band. The first album I heard was Wishmaster and although I like it now, when I first heard it I couldn't stand it, and was almost put off exploring their music further. I asked a bunch of people into this band their recommendations and they all said Century Child, and this one I really loved from the first listen.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

I'd personally recommend Century Child to those of you looking for an album to get you into this band. The first album I heard was Wishmaster and although I like it now, when I first heard it I couldn't stand it, and was almost put off exploring their music further. I asked a bunch of people into this band their recommendations and they all said Century Child, and this one I really loved from the first listen.

Century Child and Wishmaster are both fantastic albums as well. It took me a little while to get into Wishmaster as well. Not totally sure what it was, but I just didn't like it the first time through. Though, the song Wishmaster is incredible.

Especially the live version from the End of an Era DVD:

Kinslayer is good as well.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Yes Tray, COHLB is the new singer, I'm not a huge fan of the new stuff either.
I would suggest starting with Oceanborn or Wishmaster, as both are masterpieces of the genre and Nightwish at their creative peak.

Thanks DKW, I'll make a note of those two and the albums the others suggested as a good starter.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Let us know if and when...it's always exciting to see new Nightwish fans and their reactions. Of course it always sounds best when you're listening to the "actual" product as opposed to clips on youtube and what not.

:grinthumb

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Thanks DKW, I'll make a note of those two and the albums the others suggested as a good starter.

Sure, I guess it depends on what you are looking for but Wishmaster and Oceanborn are the two albums that are the most musically adventurous outputs by the band. They both incorporate more of the symphonic and operatic influences that define Nightwish and made them such an original and progressive band, IMO.

Centuries Child is the one that would be the next closest to that early sound, and is a great album, but even it is a move more toward an assessable rock sound, which is probably why it is more popular here at this site. Each album that follows moves more toward a more mainstream rock sound, so again, which albums you will like best depends upon what you are looking for from the band.
I prefer their more progressive, symphonic metal stage.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbaraTal

Staff online

Members online