new coming bands vs old classic bands

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
There's great music in all eras.

While my personal preference lies with the songs of the 60's and the 70's, it doesn't mean that there can't be classics from the 2010's.

I'm sure when Elvis hit the scene there was some die-hard Sinatra fans saying "Yeah, you're never gonna beat the classics". Yet I'd put many artists, including Elvis, above the Chairman in my personal list.

So, while the number of 60's/70's bands outweighs the "modern" bands in my playlists, I don't discriminate on eras.

As Eric Clapton wrote in his autobiography, good music will continue to be made, no matter what the record companies do.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
there is great music in all eras. If you don't see it your narrow minded and stuck in the past. Do you people who claim nothing good as happened since 1990

OK, I'm narrow minded and stuck in the past. :D

:lmao:

better than being open minded and listening and liking shit new music. :heheh:

And I like 90's music...just not grunge and hip hop. :)

Last edited:

Death on Credit

Reaction score
The music being produced these days is probably going to look better in a few decades after time unveils those few gems buried beneath all the shit.

The thing about music, or anything really, is that a good 95% (and that's a very generous estimate) of it is terrible. That goes for the 60's and 70's as well.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Theres lots of new "rock" bands; it's just that you have to seek out the better ones or at least listen to the newer rock radio/internet stations to catch the few good songs that are being broadcast.
"Classic Rock" is mostly over; it was a different time of consiousness that affected a lot of people.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
There's still some good bands going that keeps the good spirit of early 70s.

You just need to enter the depths of independent record labels, YouTube, last.fm and blogspots to realize, that 70s are still alive.
I must say though for all the decades since 60s I hate 90s. I find it not interesting at all. But some good bands came out in 00s and 10s. I would still go for 70s though, the entire rock between 1969 and 1975 is just an endless universe.

CREAM'd

Reaction score
There will never be a band that will do what Crazy Horse, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers did, even half as well. And those are my favorite bands.

But at the same time, there is no classic rock equivalent for Slayer or Immortal Technique or Ke$ha. I say, render onto classic rock that which is classic rock's, and render onto modern music that which belongs to modern music. I live for both of them. Considering I've been listening to classic rock for over a decade already, frankly I'm far more interested in modern music at the moment.

Ke$ha? :oyea:

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Yes I am a classic rock fan. Most of my favorite music comes from the 60's. I also love to dig up blues artists from the 40's and 50's. However there a tons of quality music made currently. Right now you have The Black Keys, Muse, Wolfmother, The Arctic Monkeys, the list goes on and on

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
Well I listen mostly to 60s and 70s music, and yeah there's few new bands I really like, but those new bands are just picking up the vibe old bands left. Anyhow, I think that pure music epicness will never be achieved again. I agree with GroovyMan. I'm not straight-headed, I often get some recommendations on "new cool music" but it turns out that it's just okay - not really good or supergreat. Anyhow, I love these new psychedelic and 60s folk revivals, I think those bands are onto something.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
OK, I'm narrow minded and stuck in the past. :D

:lmao:

better than being open minded and listening and liking shit new music. :heheh:

And I like 90's music...just not grunge and hip hop. :)

well since they closed your thread I'll answer your question about rock music.
If I want to listen to rock music from 1968 I'll put on an album from 1968 (by the way great list although I some clunkers and several great albums missing).
All those albums don't sound like any rock album from 1975 so does that mean rock is dead in 1975? no rock music changed. Same for 1985, 1995 and 2005. Music progresses and sometimes sounds are rehashed. The great music of the 00's is not straight rock its music that has mixed several genres. Yeah there are a few great 00's straight rock albums but my favorites are mixing and matching. Let alone when you talk women in rock in 1968 your talking motown, today you have women really rockin. If you really want to know where 2000's beat the 1960's its women. I'll take todays women (no not the pop crap) over the rock women of the 60's.

Also 50 albums don't make up a great year of music its more like 100+ and while I'm still catching up on a few years I've got a list for every year from 1965-2010. Are some years top 10 way better than the top 10 in another year? yeah but by the time we get to 70 or 80 we still have a great list of albums.

FireandWater

Family Man
Reaction score
It is amazing how diverse we are on this forum. I am still working on my top 250 song list and it goes from The Beach Boys to Judas Priest to Bon Jovi. I love diversity however nothing will capture music like the late 60's blues and the 70's rock. There was just so much feeling into that music. They played their instruments usually at a very young age and most wrote their own music that still lives on today. They hardly ever sampled and were almost always original. There are some gems out there in the 90's but to me very few in the last 10 years--mainstream at least. The only bands that I've been getting into that are recent are metal bands such as Lamb of God. I honestly don't think there will ever be a good spurt in music again like the 70's. The 80's was just as bad in my opinion as today's mainstream such as Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, and so on. That is of course me comparing them with acts such as Justin Beiber, Lady Gaga, and so on. Their were however good acts in the 80's such as Guns N' Roses, AC/DC still putting out albums, Motley Crue's first couple CD's. There is a vast difference in music today and that difference is what fails in comparison with the classics.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online