new coming bands vs old classic bands

Guitartlp

Steal your face
Reaction score
I found that about 95% of my itunes songs consist of older bands mostly pre-75. The originality those days shined through the music. Todays music sings about nothing real. But, this is going into material for a whole other thread. My vote is for the oldies but goodies!

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I'll probably only say one thing and it'll be the same thing i've always said. Today's music does not sing about nothing, there are quite a few bands in the last 10 years that are pretty unknown or well known and are fantastic. I understand that nothing will beat the classics, but there still is, and will continue to be great music (with a lot of meaning both in the lyrics, and the music itself) being made. You just have to know where to find it.

As for the VS portion of this thread, I don't choose either, both "new coming bands" and "classic bands" bring a lot of great music to the table.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree, P&C. There is good music from each decade, you just have to dig around until you find something that strikes your fancy.

As far as the "vs" goes, if the OP is referring to the new pop music, well then I agree. Over commercialized, "push it out to the masses", type music is not what interests me. I look for good musicianship, well written lyrics, and music that is not over produced (meaning using auto-tune, etc to manufacture the music).

What does excite me is a revival of new bands that are striving for the classic rock sound.........:)

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
You cannot make general statements like new bands and old bands. Both have some good and some bad.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I think there is still some great bands delivering some top sounds. The market and demand has changed I think, and the music moguls making top dollar thowing media friendly fabricated sh*te at us gets me down but if you brush it to one side there's still plenty of good rock music out there. I try not to compare ,, things change .. IMO.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I love a lot of bands from the 70's ,80's 90's ,2000, and today .Even some late 60's stuff. I have to say most of the mainstream music of today in not so great IMO but there are loads of very talented bands today.

I'm definitely not voting for pre -76 as that is too board a term . There is plenty of music from that era that I think really sucks.

Early 70's heavy rock and prog are definitely favorites of mine but I'm not caught in a time warp of any era.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
There will never be a band that will do what Crazy Horse, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers did, even half as well. And those are my favorite bands.

But at the same time, there is no classic rock equivalent for Slayer or Immortal Technique or Ke$ha. I say, render onto classic rock that which is classic rock's, and render onto modern music that which belongs to modern music. I live for both of them. Considering I've been listening to classic rock for over a decade already, frankly I'm far more interested in modern music at the moment.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Today's music in general is lame....

It's like ''Dollar Store'' music at it's best....

it's low grade and cheap - and it stratifies some people - but not me. :D

Everything has been done before....

Radiohead, Lady Gaga...blah, blah, blah....

and Death Cab For Cutie too! :heheh:

I tired of hearing ''you got to dig to find good NEW music'' or ''there's great new rock coming out of Europe''

:rolleyes:

I've been hearing this excuse for the last 10-11 years and only discovered a handful of new bands to get excited about - and that's about it...one handful of bands....and that's pretty sad.

I'm thankful for the music from the past - I've been discovering new old bands ever since high school - and the well hasn't run dry yet. I'm still discovering old lost bands. I have enough classic rock to last me a life time.

And on the other hand, with new rock - it seems the well has run dry.

* It's much easier to find good old music, than it is to find good new music. *

Musically, the world ended 10 years ago.

Sad but true.

Music is timeless - there's NOTHING wrong with liking the music of the past, and having an opinion that today's music in general sucks. :D

EDIT: I apologize to those might like new music - I might of came off too strong - but it's how I truly feel. To each his own, right?

:cheers2

Last edited:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
there is great music in all eras. If you don't see it your narrow minded and stuck in the past. Do you people who claim nothing good as happened since 1990 like anything before 1950 or is music to you only a few decades? damn I've been on a classic kick lately.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online