Neil Young (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: The Official Neil Young Thread

Don't worry dude! This is the stuff I like to read and look for. I'd rather learn from a fans eyes than look anything up online. It makes for great reading material. It makes me think "I've got to get this dude into my bands. This guy's the perfect promoter!". :heheh: On the Pearl Jam it's funny how veteran musicians that everyone respects can get it when they see a band but the very fans don't really follow. It's likes musicians move on with the time but fans are so stuck in a rut past their era. I wonder why that is. So yeah dude, I'm going to do the Neil thing for a bit until I hit a wall and need something else but it's a cool trip! :grinthumb

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

I wouldn't put any of his 80s albums above more than a couple records he did in the 60s, 70s, or 90s.

I wouldn't put any of his 80s albums above ALL the records he did in the 60s, 70s, or 90s

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

I wouldn't put any of his 80s albums above ALL the records he did in the 60s, 70s, or 90s

''Hawks & Doves'' (1980) and ''Old Ways'' (1985) are great albums. Give them another listen snakes&ladders.

And soots, nice to see you discovering Neil Young...

but, be careful Neil Young is the gateway drugs to other classic rock bands.

;) :heheh:

:cheers2

Last edited:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

I'd put Landing On Water and Life above Comes A Time and Harvest Moon, at the least. That overdubbed acoustic sound just doesn't do it for me. I do LIKE those records, no question about it, but I love Landing on Water and Life. I much prefer Dreamin' Man to Harvest Moon, it's great songs, I just don't dig the production. I'll probably feel the same way about the solo-acoustic version of Comes a Time that'll be coming out on Archives 2. And I can't wait for a Blue Notes live album to come out, that's bound to be among Neil's top discs. Actually the live stuff throughout the 80s was bloody incredible, if they do a Landing on Water or Life live album that'll be up there as well.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

''Hawks & Doves'' (1980) and ''Old Ways'' (1985) are great albums. Give them another listen snakes&ladders.

And soots, nice to see you discovering Neil Young...

but, be careful Neil Young is the gateway drugs to other classic rock bands.

;) :heheh:

:cheers2

Thanks Groovy! Music as a whole is the most addictive drug period and I've delved into Neil prior but not at this level which is great! I mean 45 albums to explore! :D. I'm enjoying getting out of Greatest Hits mode with these artist and there are some new (to me) albums to add to my always growing collection!

Well the next album is on I own and love but I'm going to revisit it and give it a thorough listen! :grinthumb

Harvest
51cQc%2B2ymzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Well guys! This is still as of now my favorite Neil Young album! I know that's not cool to say as it's likely cliche but this album is flawless to me! Seriously, I buy a lot of hits collections but I've had this album for years and it's one that felt contemporary and thoroughly enjoyable enough to listen to with my regular rotation. From the beginning with the slow drums and bluesy harmonica laden "Out On The Weekend" to the perfect closing epic "Words (Between The Lines of Time) which like a perfect closer gives a hodgepodge of everything that made the album great into one song! Let me tell you I predictably love the trio of standards here: Heart of Gold, Old man and The Needle and the Damage Done BUT my favorite of the three may not be as predictable. I love the track:

Old Man

I love this song from the opening chords to the lyrics to the beats of the bass to the gorgeous chorus! That chorus dude with the banjo and the twang! I hate twanging normally but here it's great! Shit I just read that's Linda Rondstat in the backing vocals! Didn't know that but that's even cooler! :grinthumb Believe it or not that's only my second favorite track. My favorite track on the album is the very next one that follows:

There's A World

Just wow! Forgive me but this from what I hear is not what I'd associate with Neil even now! This is epic, brilliant and beautiful! It's like theatrical classical folk opera!!!!! The orchestra here should get props because are on and Neil's vocal amazingly fits with this! My favorite Neil song bar none!!!! Oh and not to take anything away from "A Man Needs A Maid" because the orchestra on that was awesome too!!!!

If I had to pick one song I like the least on the album it's "Are You Ready For The Country?" It just doesn't feel classic to me and the chorus is weak to me. The song seems pandering to me on the same level that country today tries to grab someone just by a declaration of being country or a good ol' boy. Just my opinion though! Don't shoot! :lmao:

What can I say though! Harvest was why I wanted to delve deeper for a long time which I did gradually but 45 albums is intimidating! :heheh: As an individual (non hits) album though Harvest is only equaled by Bat Out of Hell as my favorite classic rock album! :grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

My favorite from Harvest has always been Out on the Weekend. Just about the most perfect depression song ever. And that molasses drum beat.. stupendous... it's so good, it's worthy of Ralph Molina!

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

Someone up here said Neil is Neil when he sings Neil....SAGE WORDS:):)

Tommy Walker

Reaction score

Favorite albums:

1. Harvest - Part of me wants to think that the only reason this isn't univesally regarded as his masterpiece is that it sold so well, and some people (including Neil himself, apparently) are put off by that. But it's really a fantastic album from top to bottom. It's more eclectic than most of his others, which seem to largely commit to either being holistically folksy or hard (or a number of other styles if you include his later stuff).

2. After the Gold Rush - I'd like this one more if it wasn't such a downer. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I have to be in the right mood to enjoy it. It's mostly slow stuff, but not entirely. The inclusion of one light, short track on each side in the middle of all of the heavier stuff is an interesting touch. I like both of them, and they kind of feel like intermissions. Overall, a really good album.

3. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Four of the seven tracks on this album absolutely rock, and, in my opinion, define the Crazy Horse sound. The rest of it is too experimental feeling for me, but not bad (if you've heard David Bowie's album Low, I feel the same way about the second side of it). This one is a favorite of mine primarily on the strength of the title track, Cinnamon Girl, Down by the River, and Cowgirl in the Sand though.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online