Neil Young (Official Thread)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: The Official Neil Young Thread

Something a little different from Neil ..

It grows on you. :grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

BEN KEITH , longtime Neil Young Sideman and Pedal Steel Guitarist, Passes Away...

Ben Keith, a longtime sideman for Neil Young, died earlier this month, according to Undercover.com.au. While the actual date and cause of death are still unknown, Keith was a revered session musician and producer who played pedal steel guitar on Young's classic album 'Harvest.' He was 73.

Keith got his start as a session musician in the late 1950s, playing on Patsy Cline's 'I Fall to Pieces.' He met and befriended Young when they both appeared on 'The Johnny Cash Show' and was recruited in 1971 for 'Harvest.' Keith continued to tour and record with the singer on albums as recently as 2009's 'Fork in the Road.'

In addition to his steady work with Young, the acclaimed pedal steel guitarist played in sessions for artists like Ringo Starr, Todd Rundgren, Warren Zevon, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, among others. As a producer, he produced Jewel's debut album 'Pieces of You,' which also featured Young collaborators Spooner Oldham and Tim Drummond. Keith was also a member of the Pegi Young Band and had reportedly been producing a second volume of songs for Jerry Lee Lewis' 'Last Man Standing.'

Ben Keith, Longtime Neil Young Sideman and Pedal Steel Guitarist, Dead at 73 - Spinner

heBVl.jpg

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

^^ Sad news.

Took the original list and eliminated the Neil Young I don't have. Sadly I haven't bought anything from him since Silver & Gold.
1968 - Neil Young - Neil Young
1969 - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

1970 - Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Déjà vu
1970 - Neil Young - After the Goldrush
1972 - Neil Young - Harvest
1974 - Neil Young - On the Beach
1975 - Neil Young - Tonight's the Night
1976 - The Stills-Young Band - Long May You Run
1977 - Neil Young - American Stars & Bars
1977 - Neil Young - Decade
1978 - Neil Young - Comes a Time
1979 - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps
1979 - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust

1980 - Neil Young - Hawks & Doves
1981 - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Re-ac-tor
1983 - Neil Young & the Shocking Pinks - Everybody's Rockin'
1985 - Neil Young - Old Ways
1986 - Neil Young - Landing On Water
1987 - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Life
1988 - Crosby Stills Nash & Young - American Dream
1989 - Neil Young & The Restless - Eldorado
1989 - Neil Young - Freedom

1990 - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Ragged Glory
1991 - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Arc Weld
1992 - Neil Young - Harvest Moon
1993 - Neil Young - Lucky 13
1993 - Neil Young - Unplugged
1994 - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Sleeps With Angels
1995 - Neil Young - Mirror Ball
1996 - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Broken Arrow

2000 - Neil Young - Silver & Gold

iasc

Reaction score

Thats really terrible news abot Ben Keith. He was a great musician and played on Neils best albums.

Travelin' Man

Reaction score

My first recollection of Neil Young's music was listening to Heart of Gold. The gal that used to babysit my sister and I spent her mornings listening to the airwave's latest "fad," FM radio. There are many songs that I can recall from those days (in spite of my youth [I was around 9 at the time]) like One of These Nights by the Eagles and Katmandu by Bob Seger. I mention those songs simply to set the mood/stage.

While I truly liked Heart of Gold, the rest of Neil's catalog was lost on me for the next 20 or so years. Then I HEARD - not just listened to, but HEARD - Old Man. That song reached out and touched me. It also made me take a second look at something I'd only previously given a glance.

Sometimes you just need to grow the hell up.

I grew up. Neil Young has become one of my favorite singer/songwriters. There is something inside of of every Neil Young fan that only Neil can find/elicit. Something personal, something true, something that speaks to our self. Our own being.

I used to think that Neil's voice was too nasally. Had you asked me 25 years ago, I'd have told you that his words were lost by means of their deliverance. No more, however. Today I believe that the character found in Neil's voice is only matched or surpassed by the likes of Johnny Cash. I grew up enough to understand that.

I'm a fan and there's really nothing more to add to that fact.

Now excuse me while I head off to the "Favorite Canadian Artist" thread.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

My first introduction to Neil Young was his collaborations with Pearl Jam! At that point in their career they were almost inseparable for a bit and worked together on an album, Neil Youngs "Mirrorball" and it's companion piece "Merkinball" which Neil Young played guitar. Neil young and Pearl Jam were made for each other and they introduced me to a legend I might not have known otherwise.

My first Neil song was "Rocking in the Free World" when they performed it together. Later down the road I would hear Neil's verse used in a live version of Daughter and thought that was the best version of that song.

Pearl Jam-Daughter (Live)
(Neil Young "Rockin' In The Free World" verse @ 3:50)

I see a woman in the night
With a baby in her hand
Under an old street light
Near a garbage can
Now she puts the kid away,
and she's gone to get a hit
She hates her life,
and what she's done to it
There's one more kid
that will never go to school
Never get to fall in love,
never get to be cool.

I love that verse right there! So powerful! What a great writer Neil is!!!! :grinthumb

The same day I bought a rare copy of Pearl Jam Lollapalooza '92 (mostly for Rockin' In The Free World) at a garage sale was the same day I bought the amazing "Harvest" by Neil Young. The Harvest c.d. got far more spins and is still my favorite Neil work to this day but God knows I have a loooong ways to go before I make a legit judgment. As of now the Neil catalog I own is:

Harvest
Sleeps With Angels
Prairie Wing
Greatest Hits (2004)

I decided to go back to the beginning of his solo work and check out:

album-neil-young.jpg

This album IMO starts off slow but picks up in the middle where it surprised me with it's soul, gospel and orchestrated parts. To me it all starts with "The Old Laughing Lady". This track mixes together so many elements. The song has a great build with the piano, guitar and bass subtly building into a jazzier framework and the strings sweep in to the climax of the song with awesome soul singers and the horns. What a brilliant song. Then there's the short but gorgeous "String Quartet From Whiskey Hill" which is as beautiful of a intro for a song as I've ever heard. That song being "Here We Are In The Years"! I love the piano intro to this and Neil's vocals sound their most impressive and expressive on the album here IMO. Right off their are great vocal harmonies. It's also the most soulful song IMO. My favorite song is this one though:

I've Loved Her So Long

(This one mixes all the elements I've commented about loving on the album and gives it to me X 1,000)

The last track is a good closer and has the best lyrics and storytelling. Overall the album is a slowburner but picks up gradually and gets better song by song. It's a very pleasant surprise and one that'll stick with you more with each listen ( Listened three times). :grinthumb

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

I can't sing worth doo-doo, but for some uncanny reason I can sing Neil Young and sound just like him. Back in the early 80's I use to go over to a friend's house and after a few tokes we would end up singing Down By the River. Lots of folks think Neil is depressing but I have always liked him. I use to crank Live Rust The only album I got a call from a neighbor for being too loud. Nobody ever complained when I played Deep Purple's Live In Japan album.

Last edited by a moderator:

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

The only album I don't like by Neil is the electronic one he did some years back:)!!!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.