Neil Young Angered By The Way Today's Music Sounds

gguerra

Reaction score
I would like to play MP3s on my laptop through my amplifier, but the computer only has a jack socket (not phonos) as output, so I assume the quality will be rubbish. Also, I gather you have to be careful that absolutely zero amplified output enters the laptop, or it will explode!

I play music and videos from my PC (mp3's and flac's as well as DVD's and CD's) through my surround sound receiver at home. The sound is pretty good actually (well loud at least). What you need is one of these.

55-899.jpg

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I've got one of those with quite a long lead (two phonos to jack). Is it safe? Do you find the flacs are good played through a jack socket?

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
Thank God this isn't another aging angry rocker bitching about the actual artist of today.

Why? 21'st century musical artists are pure shit. You're an ageist--and you're deaf. This is a classic rock forum. What do you expect, Jason Beaver's opinions on the warbling, auto out-of-tune, manufactured shit that oozes out of the ass of the 21'st century music scene?

Last edited:

gguerra

Reaction score
I've got one of those with quite a long lead (two phonos to jack). Is it safe? Do you find the flacs are good played through a jack socket?

Flacs sound just as good as CDs IMO. With MP3's it all depends on the sample rate. As for a jack socket (as you call it) it sounds just as good as a regular rca connections from a standalone cd player. The only difference is the size.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A Classic Rock Forum that allows discussion on other genres. And frankly its better that it does not just cover topics on Classic Rock.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Here's hoping that you do someday since I like your taste in music. :D

As far as the iPod it is genius. Pocket music went from the Walkman to carry on CD players to an iPod. Quite the progression...

Very kind of you too say so :cheers2

I keep reading post after post about how great a Ipod is or any device that stores loads of music.. My question to this is just how good does those units sound?? I've never heard one and don't own one.. To me it seems kinda wack since you don't have alot of clear volume and you have to put stuff in your ears.. Tune out the world if your working out.. But don't they make your ears sore?? no matter what they are made out of they seem to me that they would irritate your ears after having them in for awhile..
It would also be a tease to have a song playing so low and if you turn it up, it distorts.. Is that true??

iPods are amazing because they allow you too carry your entire music library wherever you are. It's not [IMO] designed for being sat at home in your comfy chair, ice cold beer and a run through of Dark Side of The Moon before the game starts on TV.

How good does it actually sound? I'm currently using incredibly cheap ear phones so they are 1. uncomfortable 2. sound like ***** themselves. But as a unit, I've played it through my dads Arcam with the iPod dock, sounds very good to me. You can adjust the bit rates, rip the tracks off cd's with a variety of settings. The iPod has a simple EQ on it too.

There are two types of people posting in this thread. The audiophiles who want everything to be perfect [cool IMO] and those that want the choice and ability to carry their collection with them wherever they are, whatever they are doing [also cool].

As for distortion, the only issue I have is in the car, but I put that down too the unit I'm using to broadcast to the car.

But don't confuse ALL us Ipoddies as actually listening to our devices for casual home listening. :grinthumb

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
The statistics may support Neil Young's claim that Mp3s only carry 5% of the music, but sonically that's horse shit. I was a real audiophile in my younger years but I get an excellent sound now using a Mac (rather than a PC, which often possess poor quality sound cards) plugged into my hi fi (an Onkyo, which was about GBP £320) via the headphone jack on the Mac.

As I type I'm listening to Blackfoot's Strikes and I can't see how the sound could be much better; it's crisp with plenty of bass and bags of presence.

I really do think some of this is down to nostalgia and the aesthetics of a nice big vinyl LP and the needle on the groove. Not all of it, but a lot of it is down to the romance of vinyl rather than the truth of the listening experience.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like your sig saying **** Glee. lol

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member