Neil Young Angered By The Way Today's Music Sounds

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Meh. If the music is good to my ears I am good with the format it is in today.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The difference in sound quality to my ears is pretty negligible, and I can live with it without giving it a second thought, but then I'm not an audio nerd, and I really could care less just as long as it's reasonably decent quality. The accessibility and user-friendly nature of MP3 is just phenomenal, I can get around 1,500 complete albums onto a device not much bigger than a postage stamp. If Neil Young prefers to try carrying around 1,500 wax 78's with him to give him the same options, then he's going to need quite literally a whole herd of Crazy Horses.

I am not an audio nerd.:nw:

I want the Best quality and why should I be deprived when the companies can lob a 64kbs version for you to pack on your portable and not give me the format I want. They can do both.

Riff...you don't even have a good stereo system, or haven't listened to one for any length of time so that comment is beneath you.

Computers with good sounds cards and a decent speaker system are good, but I can guarantee to anyone in this forum if you listened to any of your favorite bands in a proper set up listening room...you would be astounded at the difference.

You guys don't get it, Neil is not talking about carrying 78's around, he's talking about keeping the standards high that we grew up with.

My way of doing this everyone is happy, other people would take that away because all they care about is how much they can carry around. That is just ridiculous.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have listened to decent stereos recently actually lol the sound is obviously better but I am not fussed personally, I can handle and listen in a lot of different formats. My sister has a good set up at her place, I liked it but I don't think its a matter of that comment being below me, I am not picky or fussed about it, thats just me. Not trashing anyone else for what they prefer, I understand why they would, I listen to plenty of decent stereo quality stuff despite not having a good set up myself.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I am not an audio nerd.:nw:

I want the Best quality and why should I be deprived when the companies can lob a 64kbs version for you to pack on your portable and not give me the format I want. They can do both.

Riff...you don't even have a good stereo system, or haven't listened to one for any length of time so that comment is beneath you.

Computers with good sounds cards and a decent speaker system are good, but I can guarantee to anyone in this forum if you listened to any of your favorite bands in a proper set up listening room...you would be astounded at the difference.

You guys don't get it, Neil is not talking about carrying 78's around, he's talking about keeping the standards high that we grew up with.

My way of doing this everyone is happy, other people would take that away because all they care about is how much they can carry around. That is just ridiculous.

I'm just going to point out that I never stated there wasn't a difference. I'm not even saying I wouldn't hear the best quality sound you could provide me LG and go, "Ooooh, that's nice!" I'm just saying that regardless, my enjoyment of the song isn't effected either way for me personally. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Sooty, if your hearing isn't damaged there is a Huge difference.

If you all could listen to this album on vinyl, I happen to have a mint copy, it would prove my point for me. You could all bring your various players/formats we would leave the settings static and give each one a fair listen. It's not even close the way the CD has been done loses so much detail, you don't have to be an expert or musician the music simply says it all.

25351.jpg

Many old classic albums are similar, they have never been duplicated properly on CD, let alone MP3 or AAC lossy formats.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No doubt there are huge differences in sound, don't think that can be argued, I myself have heard tons of albums on vinyl, my brother had a killer rock collection of records I have listened to. And I can appreciate a really good stereo set up too, having heard music on really good surround speakers. Its actually good to remember that stuff actually, one of the very few little things I enjoyed as a child, the music back then and listening on record players, whilst as I said I am not fussed on mp3 or the shitty speakers I have now, I have to dispute that part of not having heard a good stereo as I did grow up around people who used record players and nice stereos.

Last edited:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I'm with LG on this. Not to say I don't have all formats of music, but what LG is used to hearing is by far the superior sound. I so wish I could have his set up and really feel the music. Not exactly the best analogy, but I guess you can sort of compare it to listening to music out of your computer speakers and then putting on a really good set of headphones and listening to the same song. Which would sound better? The same goes with LP's to CD's to MP3's. Unfortunately, when CD's came out, I never got a new turntable and went with the flow and bought CD players and listened to the hype that they were much better than LP's. In some ways I guess they are, for repeated play, etc. But definitely not for sound.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's a good way to put it JG. CD's are fine, when they are done with attention to detail and they don't destroy the original dynamics and SPL...which unfortunately has been the case with many Remasters, they are aimed specifically at the i-pod generation. If you grew up with the original recording then the tweaked CD's sound funny.

There is room for everything, more than anything else that is what irritates me. They could offer our format of choice and make everyone happy but that is not what I see coming.

MP loves his music DVD's, perhaps I will have to start collecting the back catalog of those after CD's go extinct soon. No vinyl, no CD's, just lossy formats and I find that depressing.

Khor1255

Reaction score
It is true that quality of recording (and playback) becomes increasingly more important the more nuanced and dynamic the actual music is. But really even very raw edged stuff sounds so much better when recorded correctly and on decent playback equipment.

To deny listeners even the possibility of this experiance is truely charlotonism and a really sad development. Not nearly as sad as the fact that most performers these days seem to actually prefer having their master recordings rendered digitally (and thereby guaranteeing an immediate decrese in possible quality) but sad all the same.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Neil Young, along with John Peel, was among the first people to criticise CDs (for their lack of depth) in the eighties. Although I agree, didn't he ever buy, and have to return, vinyl albums with scratches, surface noise and warping? He's a fair bit older than me, so I find it hard to believe that he can hear as much difference as he claims. Also, MP3s contain 5 percent of the original data - where did he get that from? What bitrate is he using?

When CDs first appeared I loved them for all their faults. There was no more static clicks & pops, jumps, scratches or wow & flutter (unless you failed to clean the disc or it was mastered from vinyl). If the record companies could guarantee the quality of vinyl pressings, I would still be buying them, but they can't, so I don't!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online