Neil Young Angered By The Way Today's Music Sounds

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I keep reading post after post about how great a Ipod is or any device that stores loads of music.. My question to this is just how good does those units sound?? I've never heard one and don't own one.. To me it seems kinda wack since you don't have alot of clear volume and you have to put stuff in your ears.. Tune out the world if your working out.. But don't they make your ears sore?? no matter what they are made out of they seem to me that they would irritate your ears after having them in for awhile..
It would also be a tease to have a song playing so low and if you turn it up, it distorts.. Is that true??

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Never makes my ears sore, I have them at a level I enjoy listening to them in the gym. My ears are sensitive though lol

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I guess with the age of bluetooths (Don't use one of those either) that people are getting used to things stuck in their ears..:peek

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess with the age of bluetooths (Don't use one of those either) that people are getting used to things stuck in their ears..:peek

Worse when I hear kids have the volume so high I hear it at the other end of the bus when on one.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Worse when I hear kids have the volume so high I hear it at the other end of the bus when on one.

I used to have to listen to headphones.. Now I never do.. They can ruin your hearing if you turn it up so loud.. Plus.. the ringing you get from it being loud..All the concerts I've been too makes me glad I can still hear..

Riff.. Do they distort when turned up??

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used to have to listen to headphones.. Now I never do.. They can ruin your hearing if you turn it up so loud.. Plus.. the ringing you get from it being loud..All the concerts I've been too makes me glad I can still hear..

Riff.. Do they distort when turned up??

They do actually. When I listen to a song then put Death Magnetic on (given the retarded loudness war) it distorts a lot in my ears, have to turn it down a lot.

runtfan

Reaction score
My hearing is very accute, and I have literally no problems or issues with MP3, but then like I said I'm not all that interested really as long as it sounds good, I put way more weight on the song and the performance than I do on how it's recorded, same reason I don't need a 60" plasma High-Def TV screen to appreciate and enjoy watching a great actor acting, or watch Tim Lincecum pitching! Ironically the production on many of Neil Young's albums for about the past 20 years, or since after Rust Never Sleeps actually, sound to me at least like an over-amplified cement mixer, and to me it's mostly a deafening assault on my ears no matter what format I hear it in, and I haven't a clue what he's trying to prove musically sometimes, so it's a bit like the producers of 'Beauty and the Geek' and 'The Desperate Housewives of Orange County' or whatever it's called complaining that the quality of TV isn't what it used to be, so whatever turns you one I suppose...

:cheers2

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I keep reading post after post about how great a Ipod is or any device that stores loads of music.. My question to this is just how good does those units sound?? I've never heard one and don't own one.. To me it seems kinda wack since you don't have alot of clear volume and you have to put stuff in your ears.. Tune out the world if your working out.. But don't they make your ears sore?? no matter what they are made out of they seem to me that they would irritate your ears after having them in for awhile..
It would also be a tease to have a song playing so low and if you turn it up, it distorts.. Is that true??

I don't have an ipod, I've got a walkman and I use it at the gym with in-ear phones. This is for two main reasons: (i) exercise can be tedious without music and (ii) it shuts out the crap they play over speakers. The in-ear type don't make your ears hurt at all. When I was young, I was stupid enough to play music loud through ear phones, but I don't do that at all now because (along with live bands) it has effected my hearing. I also listen to Mp3s on my computer with amplified speakers. It sounds a bit tinny and shitty, but it's good enough. If I want quality, it's back to CDs on the hi-fi.

I would like to play MP3s on my laptop through my amplifier, but the computer only has a jack socket (not phonos) as output, so I assume the quality will be rubbish. Also, I gather you have to be careful that absolutely zero amplified output enters the laptop, or it will explode!

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score

That quality isn't that bad but it is tinny. Good separation but not wide like a good headphone would get you speaking of the tiny ear buds. I have never turned it up so I can't vouch if there is distortion. All the tracks that I have stored are not lossless but I did not employ highest compression on them either instead settling for the minimum. Had I chosen the latter then I would have double the storage I reckon.

Physically, it doesn't make my ears sore. I'm with Big Ears that having it with you at the gym is great for the reasons he stated. If you are stickler for quality then it will not do. Overall, it is just meh.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. Contrary to general consensus, I love the loudness wars. Louder music? Yes please! When I recorded my own music I always similarly overflowed the max, I genuinely think it sounds much better that way.

Good on Neil for being eloquent about it when washed up rockers nearly half his age have already started on about the "ooooh kids these days" cliche.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebDimond

Staff online

Members online