Motley Crue (Official Thread)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Re: The Official MOTLEY CRUE Thread

I never disliked Motley, but I was not really collecting listening to many bands during their prime time.

LG I understand what you say here.. It's hard to "get" into a band after you moved away from a time where they were popular.. Your taste changes and I guess it would be more easier to like them if you were into the stuff they started out with.. Like watching your kid grow up so to speak..:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Well said Thumper,,,and for me when I do check out someone I missed, they are brand new to me,,,like Y & T, Taha posted about them, Magic liked them so I ended up getting 3 of their CD's.

Better to arrive a little late to the party than not at all...:cheers:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

This is some great Mick Mars playing here!!

80686977.jpg

Last edited:

rtbuck

Reaction score

In the early/mid 80's a guy I played Hockey with handed me a 90 minute cassette & told me to give a listen to these 2 bands.One album was 'Black Metal' by Venom & the other was 'Shout at the Devil' by Motley Crue. I could not take Venom serious especially with a song like "Teacher's Pet Teacher's Wet" or when the chorus kicked in on "We Will Raise the Dead" singing "...Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust if God won't save me the Devil Must...". I thought they were a joke band like Piledriver. Motley Crue caught my attention right from the start on "In the Beginning"/"Shout at the Devil" & I loved every bit of that album. I went out & bought the vinyl shortly after hearing the tape & as soon as I opened the gatefold album..."BOOOOM!!!!"I felt like I was at a Kiss Concert with the fire,stage make-up,& costumes. Now I was really hooked & I soon picked up their debut album as well. In my opinion nothing they ever did can come close to those first 2 records especially 'Shout at the Devil'. The videos for "Looks that Kill" & "Too Young to Fall in Love" were cool as hell & those 2 songs fit in so well in the local rock clubs that just thinking of those 2 songs I get the image of sexy waitresses walking around in black leather mini skirts,rpped fishnet stockings,& low cut tops carrying a tray with a pitcher of beer, 6 shots of JD, & an overflowing glass of dollar bills. Of course the scent of stale spilt beer & whiskey from the clubs also enters my mind.

Back around '83/'84 I seen Motley Crue for the first time opening for Ozzy & I actually preferred Motley Crue as they were young,Hungry,& full of energy. I liked Ozzy's band & stage show but thought Ozzy himself was awful to watch. I seen Crue headline on the next 3 tours & they always tried one up their previous show & even though I'm not big on drum solos I always looked forward to what Tommy had in store for us as far as special effects during his solo & he never disappointed.

I may have said that nothing can compare to those first 2 albums but I've enjoyed everything they released. Theater of Pain was a little different but it had some cool songs such as "Keep Your Eye on the Money","City Boy Blues","Use it or Lose it", & "Save our Souls". At the time I didn't mind the video of "Smoking in the Boys Room" although I never could figure out why Vince Couldn't even fake play the Harmonica during the solo.
'Girls Girls Girls' was a great follow up & Motley Crue was really cemented near the Top of the 80's Hair Metal craze by this time.I love the motorcycle intro to the title track which with the beginning chords reminded me a bit of the Sex Pistols "Holidays in the Sun" but that's where that comparison ends. Some great stuff on this album:"Wildside", "Bad Boy Boogie", & "5 Years Dead"(which reminds me a bit of "Rocking in the USA" & "Got Love For Sale" by Kiss). By far the best track on the record has to be "Dancing on Glass". I do actually enjoy their cover of "Jailhouse Rock" in a novelty kind of way although I do like the guitar solo in it. As far as 'Dr. Feelgood'goes I like the album a lot but because I really don't like the title track, it almost kills the whole album for me that is until I think of the songs that are on that album.With songs like "Sticky Sweet","Rattlesnake Shake","She Goes Down", & of course "KIckstart My Heart" Motley Crue had a pretty solid album. Decade of Decadence contained "Primal Scream" which is a cool tune that happens to be my wife's favorite. 'Generation Swine' & 'New Tattoo'
were pretty decent although I hardly listen to them other than the cover of "White Punks on Dope". 'Saints of Los Angeles' is a really cool album & I like basically every song on it but my favorite either "Just Another Psycho"(probably because I could picture Alice Cooper doing this one) or "Down at the Whiskey".

I just realized I really didn't list my favorites from the first 2 albums! Too Fast For Love's title track is one of my favorite songs by Motley Crue. The riff that goes through it is catchy & phenominal. "Live Wire" is always a showstopper."Piece of Your Action" should have been huge for them & I really think they should've remade the song on one of their later '80's albums. 'Take me to the Top' is another great song along with "Starry Eyes". Although I mentioned the 2 video hits & the title track from 'Shout at the Devil' I've got to say that there is not one weak track on this album. I love the way "God Bless the Children of the Beast" leads into a blistering version of "Helter Skelter" which I feel is the strongest cover they ever did. "Red Hot", "10 Seconds to Love", & "Bastard" all kick ass. If I was to recommend a Motley Crue album it would have to be 'Shout at the Devil' as just writing about it pumps me up & listening to it just puts me over the edge!!!

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Not a bad band seen em a couple of times at least:) got one of their albums might get another?

Smoke The Sky

Reaction score

They're in my top 3, and always will be. I love their sound and also sticking together like brothers. :cheers2

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score

Man, Motley Crue. I've never known a band to elicit a more complex set of feelings in me. Seriously...

When my dad brought home "Shout at the Devil" on cassette, these guys scared the shit out of me, hehe. I mean, between that video for Live Wire and "Looks that Kill" and the way Vince sings "that kill!" in that song were just like, whoa, now this is heavy metal. Nobody was doing what they were doing, and to the EXTENT they were doing it. When I later heard Too Fast for Love, I was like, wow, this is weak sauce for their freshman effort, and over the years "Piece of your Action" sounded less impressive each time I heard it. Nevertheless, Take me to the Top (my mom's favorite, along with Piece of your Action) was a very imaginative recording in my opinion. I guess I was spoiled on Shout at the Devil. Even the obligatory 80s rock cover of a classic (Helter Skelter) rocked my world. Ooh, Mick Mars heavy sound on that song was too awesome.

I didn't much care for Girls, Girls, Girls (despite the awesome promotional video they released for the record) but Dr. Feelgood blew me away. I absolutely adore Bob Rock's production style and 75% of that album gets more plays on my MP3 player than any other Motley Crue record.

Sigh. But then there was Tommy Lee's fiasco with that thing from the pages of Playboy magazine, followed by him going to jail and then trying to tour solo... I saw him on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, once, and he is just not a front man. His voice just isn't the business. And then there was Vince Neil's "unintentionally" leaked sex video that Tom Leykis beat up on his nationally syndicated radio program... Apparently he had problems getting up. The late 90s were just a horrible decade for the band. Perhaps the saddest thing of all was learning about Mick Mars depressing health problems.

So, when Kings of Los Angeles came out in 2008, and actually sounded good, I was floored. After all these years, and after all the crap they've been through...that they put themselves through...they still got it. And apart from RATT, I don't think there has ever been a more successful heavy metal band from the EARLY 1980s to come out of Los Angeles. Yes, a lot of "hair" bands came off the Sunset Strip...but they were six years these guys' senior. I mean, don't get me started on Poison. I don't know what it is about the 90s and the 2000s that managed to bring back the WORST of the 80s (Bret Michaels, Bono) but it breaks my heart. There were some TRUE rockers back then that you don't see anybody talking about.

Let's hope the resurgence of guys like RATT and Motley Crue signals the return of Interesting, Imaginative metal and not just that cookie monster System of a Down/Korn nonsense we've been having to put up with on MTV the last 15 years...

Motley Crue forever!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online