Most Overplayed Classic Rock songs on today's Radio?

What are the most overplayed classic rock songs on the radio today? (choose 5)

• Total voters

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
For my area, the most overplayed tunes are:

-Derek and the Dominoes: Layla

-Lynyrd Skynyrd: Freebird

-AC/DC: Back in Black (hell one radio station who overplays it locally has tv commercials which use the song to promote the station)

-Eagles: Hotel California

-Steve Miller Band: Swingtown

-Bob Seger: Old Time Rock And Roll

-Pink Floyd: The Wall

-Led Zeppelin: Black Dog

-Aerosmith: Dream On

-Meatloaf: Two Out of Three Ain't Bad (a song that admittedly I've never gotten tired of)

If I go on a car ride for any longer than 15-20 minutes, with any of my local rock stations on the dial, guarantee I'll hear at least a couple of the tunes on this list.

I remember once nearly getting suspended from my old radio station for telling a fellow DJ there who played a lot of material on his show that was already overplayed on the bigger rock stations that he didn't have an original thought on his playlist and that I was sick of him playing stuff that was already being played constantly on 4-5 other bigger stations in the area.

Fever

Reaction score
My thinking is and I could be wrong but most listeners aren't as passionate about music as the majority of members on this board and they really don't care if they hear the same songs over and over again.
I love Sweet Home Alabama but I would much rather hear a variety of Skynyrd-play On The Hunt,Poison Whiskey or Whiskey Rock A Roller instead.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is a good point Fever and you are right. The passion of most of the members here speaks for itself. Like Riff and I were talking about in the "What are you listening to?" thread last night, I play entire albums always because I want to hear the variety of songs a band records, and he likes the obscure tracks as well, not just the popular songs.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
All of a sudden, this does make me wonder how many casual listeners of classic rock radio actually own the source albums.

If you would have asked me one year ago, I would have assumed or told you that 2/3 to 3/4 of the people who listen to classic rock on the radio already own the majority of the music being played.

But now, I am starting to feel a little bit differently about that after reading the two posts just made by Fever/LG and thinking about what they said a little bit.

It is slightly harder to get more frustrated by overplayed songs if the only time you hear them is on the radio, even if you hear them a lot, and you don't have them at home or never had them at home.

In contrast, those of us posting here probably own a majority of the stuff.

therunt

Reaction score
When they launched "Rock Radio" up here they seemed to use set playlists and not only the well known songs became dull but other less obvious songs also became boring - motorhead songs for example seemed to be ever popular

In saying thattheres a few i never tire of - different poll perhaps

Boston - MTAF
Kansas - Carry On ......
Genesis - abacab
Most floyd songs

others do not stand th etest tho

radar love and you aint seen nothin yet for sure

:wa

CREAM'd

Reaction score
^^That is a good point Fever and you are right. The passion of most of the members here speaks for itself. Like Riff and I were talking about in the "What are you listening to?" thread last night, I play entire albums always because I want to hear the variety of songs a band records, and he likes the obscure tracks as well, not just the popular songs.

That's exactly the same as myself,i always listen to entire albums,never just individual songs.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
- Sweet Home Alabama
- Stairway to Heaven
- Bohemian Rhapsody
- Hotel California
-Layla

these 5 should never be played again on any radio station
Then again I'm not a fan of Radio so it doesn't really matter to me. Radio is all about the hits I listen to a whole bands output not just the three radio songs. That why nothing gets overplayed by me.

Last edited:

Travelin' Man

Reaction score
There are a few on this list that I considered, but it has to be Sweet Home Alabama for me. When I lived in Central Illinois, we had a classic rock station there that played the hell out of all things Skynyrd. So much so that I began changing the station when they came on. Sad to say it, but it's true.
You have to be careful when you work at a job that lets you listen to the radio. You can't always change the station and you can get too much of a good thing.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I don't listen to radio except when I am in the car and it always lifts my spirits to hear a familiar tune. None are overplayed to my ears.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online