Most Overplayed Classic Rock songs on today's Radio?

What are the most overplayed classic rock songs on the radio today? (choose 5)

• Total voters

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Something went drastically wrong when the independent DJ's all went off the air years ago. They were one incredibly reliable source for new music and the "deeper" cuts of even well known artists. Now with the complete and utter destruction of free FM radio we are all left with commercial formula mechanically regurgitated music playlists.

We have lost part of our "Musical Soul" now, and that saddens me.:(

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I still don't understand it. I've been listening to Nights with Alice Cooper constantly over the past few weeks (actually I record his 5 hour show in the evening & then listen to it during the day) & other than his closet classics & Cooper Cover songs it's the same classic rock tunes. I listen to it to hear Coop's stories after the songs.
I remember one time I was listening to 97 Rock (our Classic Rock Station) & the morning DJ (who loves bragging about himself & thinks he's Mr. Music which I'm sure he does know a lot being a DJ for over 30 years) asked a question "What album is "Stay With Me" by the Faces from??" I actually got through & said very confident "A Nod is as Good as a Wink to a Blind Horse" & I hear the guy say "Wrong it's off of Ooh La La!!". I said "No, it's not!" & the guy got all flustered & I told him it was one of my favorite all-time albums. He almost didn't believe me but then he broke down & told me that they only had it on a Rod Stewart anthology album so he gave me the prize. I went to pick up my prize & brought the record w/ me & he sent his co host out to get the record to see it. My wife had the radio on going to work & as soon as I said "No,it's not!" she thought "Oh no here he goes..."(she knows my music rants!) but she told me that I was cut off as soon as the guy said I was wrong

Interesting story, Bucky.

This is why I am not a huge fan of the "anthologies" and "limited Editions" which tend to stray from the original album pressings. :uh:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
It suks that bands are constantly putting out new albums & the new stuff gets no airplay

Not to mention that you can't even get other songs off old albums played. I got through to our local classic rock station, 102.9, and asked them for Thin Lizzy's Cowboy Song off Jailbreak. Deejay said he couldn't play deep cuts except on Saturday night's Closet Classic Theater. Cowboy Song a deep cut!:oyea: That's probably in Thin Lizzy's top 5 of best known songs.:bonk:

As for your classic rock station, 97, I worked in Buffalo for about 2 years. Was it the same morning deejay who does a on-air marathon for a children's charity every year? I forget the guy's name but it was him and another guy on in the morning and except for that charity marathon, which he did an outstanding job on, he does come across as somewhat of a know-it-all.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It is really sad when a classic rock station wont play a request of a classic song........

I have definitely lost faith in classic rock radio.

How about the XM stations.....are they just as bad?

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
There was a time when all the radio stations on the globe seemed to be playing that OVERRated tune that goes by the name Smoke on the Water (DP).....Black Night was WAAAAAAAY better than that one and it got less airplay.....go figure :)

rtbuck

Reaction score
Not to mention that you can't even get other songs off old albums played. I got through to our local classic rock station, 102.9, and asked them for Thin Lizzy's Cowboy Song off Jailbreak. Deejay said he couldn't play deep cuts except on Saturday night's Closet Classic Theater. Cowboy Song a deep cut!:oyea: That's probably in Thin Lizzy's top 5 of best known songs.:bonk:

As for your classic rock station, 97, I worked in Buffalo for about 2 years. Was it the same morning deejay who does a on-air marathon for a children's charity every year? I forget the guy's name but it was him and another guy on in the morning and except for that charity marathon, which he did an outstanding job on, he does come across as somewhat of a know-it-all.

Yep,that's the guy. He is great for the city & back in the 80's he was cool on the air but nowadays I don't ever listen to him. His sideman has always been pretty funny but I got to the point of not being able to stand the star of the show.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Yep,that's the guy. He is great for the city & back in the 80's he was cool on the air but nowadays I don't ever listen to him. His sideman has always been pretty funny but I got to the point of not being able to stand the star of the show.

I know what you mean. Our morning team consists of a guy just like that. His female co-host is better when he's on vacation.:D

I do remember thinking that 97 Rock was just as stale as our local classic rock station. This was back in 2000-2001 and 97 wore out newer Aerosmith. It seemed like every other song was Aerosmith. It got old fast! I guess it wasn't limited to Buffalo because just prior to going there, I was working around Akron, OH and the station 97.5 did the same thing. Beat Aerosmith into the ground along with Lynyrd Skynyrd. Thousands of groups/artists out there and these stations lock into about 10-15 and that's about it.:mad

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Plus you are "Hoarding" 1,000's of CD's so you don't need the radio anyway...:heheh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sundaytakako

Members online